Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer Boyle

Non-phantom prims changing to phantom during linking

I have a house that I bought that I have modify and copy permissions for.  It has a lot of regular prims and sculpties linked into two linksets.  The scupties have a script in them that allows phantom prims to be linked; they need to be phantom.  I have had a problem for several days with falling through the floor in places and with not being able to go other places.  I finally found the causes today.  The former occurred because a few regular prims had become phantom, and the latter occurred because several sculpties had quit being phantom.  I can't fathom why the prims became phantom; I think the sculpties may have quit being phantom because the scripts quit running.  In the course of figuring this out, I guess I must have accidentally unlinked the largest linkset, because it got unlinked.

I have been relinking it, and in the course of this I keep having problems with non-phantom prims changing to phantom.  I think it has something to do with their getting linked to phantom prims, but I have not been able to figure it out exactly and figure out how to avoid it.

If anyone can help, I surely will appreciate it.

It rather depends on how you're phantoming the prims in question.   I'd need to see the script to be sure, but what you describe sounds rather like the llVolumeDetect hack, which is going to break (or is at severe risk of so doing) if you you start linking and unlinking stuff.

The approved method, now, of linking phantom prims to regular ones is to set the prims you want to phantom to PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_NONE (which you can do with edit linked parts and the properties tab in the editor).  So long as none of them is the root prim, that should be OK.   It's due to replace the llVolumeDetect hack when pathfinding is rolled out, so it's going to happen anyway, automatically as I understand it, in a matter of weeks probably.

The only downside is that, at least before the llVolumeDetect hack is turned off -- which it will be -- it might do nasty things to your house's LI since it'll switch it to the new Mesh accounting system.    The accounting system will change, AIUI, when pathfinding is rolled out, but until then, that's a potential drawback.

I'd try that, anyway, maybe in a sandbox, and see if you can live with the resulting LI.   If you can, great, but if not, we can try to think of something else.

I supposed the simplest, though maybe not most convenient, solution would be to get the house positioned properly and then go round unlinking the sculpted prims and setting them to phantom in the normal way.

• Like 2

Thank SOOOOOOO much.  The script does use llVolumeDetect.

I can't thank you enough.  This is so helpful.

ETA:  A few of the regular prims that need not to be phantom are phantom, and won't let me change it.  I have them unlinked and try to uncheck phantom and the checkmark goes away for a fraction of a second and then reappears.  Any suggestions?  I can replace them if necessary.

Glad it worked.

Not really sure what's causing the issues with the prims that want to stay phantom.   You could try unlinking them, dropping this in (which will remove itself) and relinking them.   The script turns off everything I can think of that might be phantoming them, but otherwise I don't know.   I might be be able to understand it if I saw the build but since you can replace them, that might be easiest if my script doesn't do it.

Sometimes prims do seem to phantom themselves for no apparent reason.  

default{	state_entry()	{		llVolumeDetect(FALSE);		llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_PHANTOM,FALSE,			PRIM_FLEXIBLE,FALSE, 1, 1.0,1.0, 1.0, 1.0, ZERO_VECTOR,			PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE,PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_PRIM]);		llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());	}}

You are so nice and so helpful.  Thank you so much.  I'll try the script.

I will try to let this be my last question about this.  I am having problems with the physics shape of other prims in the linkset changing to none when I change it for a sculpty.  It seems to affect the same ones each time.  I made absolutely certain that when I edit linked, I only have the one intended prim selected.  Any suggestions?

ETA:  Some of the problems I was having turned out to be due to having two copies of a prim in exactly the same location.  I gueuss I must have accidentally duplicated them.

The script worked.

Hi,

I encountered the same problem and was able to fix the issue by unlinking the root prim, dropping the script you provided in  and then relinking it to the stubbornly phantom build.... It went back to partly non-phantom and phantom.... Just as I had set it before.... 

Thank you so very much!

EL

I have one further question about using the script. Do you delete the whole "Hello avatar" part in the new script box, before dropping your script in? I'm a newbie, but have some experience from long ago on SL. I mention this to give you some idea how far back to go in explaining things. :) Thank you very much in advance. 

Yes, if you have been given an entire script that has the default section, and plan to change a script in an existing prim, edit the script in that prim, delete all the script, and paste in your new script, then save it.

Alternatively, you can create a new script in your inventory, and do the same there, and then copy that script to the contents tab of the target prim by drag and drop.

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! How wonderful of you! I did as you said, which as I understand it, recommends that I delete the whole "Hello Avatar" script, paste in my new script, and then save, but I received an error message. I was using Innula's script:

default{ state_entry() { llVolumeDetect(FALSE); llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_PHANTOM,FALSE,

(I changed her script to plain text here.) Do you have any further recommendations? 

I bought a skybox, and can't seem to make it non-phantom, much like the original poster. Thank you ... I truly appreciate your help! I went far out of my way to find this skybox, and I really don't want to give up on it.