Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer Boyle

Problems-Strange Behavior

I have a house that is located on adult mainland that is owned by a group that another avatar and I own.  I have had a house on this land since the summer of 2009, when Zindra opened, although I have had the current house only a couple of months.  During the last three days I have been having two problems that I have never had before.

One is that I fall through the floor.  This occurs in only certain places, but the locations seem to stay the same.  It is just as if the prims making up the floor were phantom, but they are not.  Since it started it seems to be constant.

The other problem is that I cannot walk in certain areas. It is just as if there were an invisible prim there that is stopping me, but there is none.  This seems to always occur in the same areas and it has been constant since it started.

Can anyone offer and explanation and suggest a cure/

Thanks for any help.

i've seen this happen before.  I sim restart usually fixes it. However the seemingly phantom but not phantom floor prim may need to be replaced.  I not sure what causes this but have had it happen serveral times over the years myself and nothing fixed it but replacing the prim.

Generally nonexistant barriers disappear with the sim restart, as they are ghost prims.  If it doesn't check to see if your neighbor may have a rogue sculpt that is supposed to be phantom but isn't and the bounding box is crossing over to your property.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I have a house that is located on adult mainland that is owned by a group that another avatar and I own.  I have had a house on this land since the summer of 2009, when Zindra opened, although I have had the current house only a couple of months.  During the last three days I have been having two problems that I have never had before.

One is that I fall through the floor.  This occurs in only certain places, but the locations seem to stay the same.  It is just as if the prims making up the floor were phantom, but they are not.  Since it started it seems to be constant.

The other problem is that I cannot walk in certain areas. It is just as if there were an invisible prim there that is stopping me, but there is none.  This seems to always occur in the same areas and it has been constant since it started.

Can anyone offer and explanation and suggest a cure/

Thanks for any help.

I am assuming the house with the fall threw floor is in the air ?  Try locking the prims in the floor. This will usually help with that problem. As far as the invisible prim i'm not not sure if it will help that problem. Have you tried

Ctrl>Alt>T to see if there is a invisible prim there ?

Raul Rehnquist wrote:

I am assuming the house with the fall threw floor is in the air ? 
Try locking the prims in the floor.
This will usually help with that problem. 

I'm not sure I ever heard of this before: "locking the prims in the floor."  How is this done, and what does 'it' do?

Storm Clarence wrote:

Raul Rehnquist wrote:

I am assuming the house with the fall threw floor is in the air ? 
Try locking the prims in the floor.
This will usually help with that problem. 

I'm not sure I ever heard of this before: "locking the prims in the floor."  How is this done, and what does 'it' do?

This is a old trick used for skyboxes and aerial builds. It locks the floor prims attributes so they can not be changed until they are unlocked. Example: unpacking a box in the skybox, then deleting the box and floor gets deleted along with the unpacked box. Or for whatever reason the floor attribute gets randomly changed to phantom.

object.jpg

Thanks for the responses.  The prims are all locked.  I did check for invisible prims, and even checked for prims with transparent tezxtures, to no avail.

Jennifer - I hate to be the one to tell you this but your avatar's house might have termites in the floor. They cannot eat the texturing but they do eat the wood.

On a serious note - I have had this problem with my own house. It was in a sandbox that was due to restart soon.

My problem was - I was not able to walk thru doorways. I have scripted doors in all the doorways. Yet I could walk thru some of the walls.Never fell thru a floor.

This was not some market house that could have had sculpts and God knows what, no, this was a house i built myself.

Sometimes I have the opposite problem though - instead of non-existent prims blocking me, my house sometimes decides to vanish 1/2 the prims yet I can still walk on them or have to navigate thru the halls with no visible prims to guide.

Jennifer - SL does some weird things at times. I am glad someone posted about locking stuff to help, I need to lock my house anyways as to not delete it when trying to get rid of something else but mis-aim

Sometimes the bounding box for the sculpts make it difficult to walk around those prims. That's about all I can think of. 

You've done edit linked prim and made sure the prim in question isn't phantom - not just the whole house? Although I don't think phantom and non phantom can be linked anyway, so if your house is totally linked, can't be that, I think.  So, I dunno on the falling through the floor thing.