Where did lag go?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It just struck me yesterday that I am experiencing virtually no lag lately.  It does take a little while for everything to rez when I TP to some place with a lot of avatars or textures, but I am just not having anything like the lag we used to have.  The change was gradual enough that I didn't really notice.  Could it be because less people are in world now?

The only thing I noticed was "spare time" per sim increasing. My own place used to hover at ~6-8ms spare per frame, a Mall I help out with used to be near zero. My home now has ~11ms free and the mall around 6ms. Definitely a change.

Sim crossings seem to be about the same - I can sail all the way down to Blake sea (around 30km) and back without crashing. TPs still fail occasionally, especially if TPing around a lot. Saw a vehicle full of 13 avis try to cross a sim border two days ago - wasn't really pretty either.

Subjectively, I feel the viewer is more stable for me. But for my RL partner it doesn't seem to be stable at all.

A couple of months ago the LL server team "rebalanced" the grid, putting regions that traditionally have higher loads on servers with more memory and locating nearby sims on servers that are closer together in data centers. It helped performance for much of the grid and dramatically reduced regions crashing.

hmm, well, one thing maybe - has your computer maybe done one of it's defrags in the middle of the night like some people schedule? Have YOU cleaned up your computer or done something that would improve performace?

I would think lag disappearing would not be a problem but yeah it would be nice to know what we did RIGHT to rid it if in our own hands.

But if it mysteriously vanishes, we have to ask -

Where does all the lag go
Can it find it's way home
Back to the open grid
Of an avatar that's standing there
And if FPS goes up

Won't it always go up?
I look in your eyes
And Jennifer Boyle, I know that you still care, for me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.