what is an iar file and how do i use it to upload and download things in my inventory offline

dawnanewday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Dawn,

IAR and OAR are the types of files that allow a whole sims (OAR) or inventories (IAR) to be saved into backup/transfer files formats.

These file types are used a lot on Open Source Grids as backup and transfer mediums. I use them to protect my Teraforming and builds on my OSGrid creations.

Your ability to create and more important restore these files in the SecondLife Grid is very limited.

The following link has information about the use of IAR files in SecondLife.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inventory/Backing-up-my-inventory/qaq-p/970913

That Discussion you pointed to refers to using Stored Inventory to make your backups.... and maybe 3 years ago that would have been true.... but development of the product has died and it doesn't support folder structure within your SL inventory.... if you only have 2 or 3 things it works OK, but as a creator with thousands of items its not practical. It is also very unreliable, and requires you to process your inventory 5 or more time in order to back up MOST, but not all if your items.

What I'd like to find is something that will allow me to backup all my content, textures, linksets, objects, scripts, & folder structure that have been created by me and export them into a format that i can then import into another grid and use.

Before you IP police start jumping all over me.... you will notice that is specifically said "created by me"... so I'm not looking to violate any TOS here.... I know I can use the native "export" features of some TPV's... but that only works on an item by item basis... I want to BULK export and import

So the question is, is there an alternative to Stored inventory that will completely and reliably perform this function or an add on tool that I can use with a TPV that will let me migrate my personal creations directly to another grid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.