public viewing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is Second Life so you can do whatever you like.  Since you may be rezzing things, you will need to do so on land you own, a friend's land where they have given you rights to rez, or in a public sandbox.  Send invitations to your friends and there you have it.

If you mean a public re-broadcast of a TV event then you are likely in copyright infringement terrirtory with the original broadcaster/copyright holder.

(That's if I understood the question in the correct context) Edit: I did.

So just to correct Venus' comment:-

"This is Second Life so you can do what you think you can get away with without getting caught"

:)

"Public Viewing" got a different meaning in Germany. It describes watching football on a huge screen with many other people, sometimes up to more than 1000. Its directly translated cause public and viewing as words alone doesn't have anything to do with a funeral.

In RL you need to get the permissions b4 you start to do a public viewing.

But this is SL here!

If you want to upload your own video stream you need permissions or just dont get caught. If you use an open stream - free for all - thats ok then.

The sim server just gives the url of that stream to everyone that is on the parcel.
Your TV just shows a fixed texture.
Everyones viewer connects to the stream and replaces the texture on the viewer with the video stream.

So technically you or your TV doesn't distribute any stream. (as long as you don't get your own streaming server online)

This will be the Italy side that our overpaid, lack lustre, 3rd rate clowns made look like Brasil, last night? :matte-motes-dont-cry:

Yes, Germany have one of the best sides they have fielded in a long time.  But, good as you are, Spain have the edge, come the final.  Italy, you should beat, as they couldn't put a single goal past the joke England team, last night, in 90 minutes.

Lol.  I thought 'public viewing' was like a funeral thing.

Public viewing of the game is something else entirely and, yes, you would need permissions to stream something into SL.  Alternatively, each attendee could be watching the event in their homes (close to a computer) and make comments in voice inworld.

You know... IANAL, etc., but suddenly, I'm not sure why one would need permission. There's really no such thing as streaming "into SL".  All one does when "streaming" is to set up a public link to a stream -- but in this case, the stream would presumably be provided by whatever broadcaster carries the event. And if a viewer is permitted to watch that event from that broadcaster, what difference could it make that the (public) link to it was supplied in SL?

It doesn't seem at all the same as rebroadcasting the event over one's own stream.  For that, one surely would need permission (which one would never get). 

I would guess, however, that the broadcaster may very well limit the geographic area (by IP address range) that can connect to the stream, to comply with the licensing arrangement it has with whatever sports league they're covering. Thus, I'd not be surprised if viewers in one country could see the stream on an in-world TV, and others not.

The other potential problem I see is if the link to the event stream is not public, but inside the broadcaster's site. In that case, the broadcaster may be counting on advertising revenue from the site outside the stream content itself, so they may block access to the stream for IP addresses not (one way or another) registered on the site. (I'm really not sure if they'd also have legal grounds to object to somebody else publishing a link they tried to hide. Maybe.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.