How do I make an off sim structure?

TishaRogue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How do I make an off sim structure? If i make something that I want such as an off sim reef... how do i do that? is it a script? if so where do i find it? is it something like the temp rezzer boxes? if so do they have them in builders models and where do i get them? Also if you know, how does it work? whats the concept that makes them possible? if i know this and can't get a script or tool for making them if i know the concept of what they do i may be able to figure something out.

thanks any info would be great. also as a side question... will whatever script or tool that makes them happen work on mesh or will there have to be a new generation of scripts that will be mesh compatible?

7 answers to this question

It's quite easy.  As long as the root prim of your linkset is on the sim, the rest of it can hang off the edge.  So make a monster off-sim structure if you like,  but let its root prim be a small, transparent prim that you set on the sim itself.  The only really limitations are the linking limits of linksets (number of prims and distance between them).  It doesn't make any difference whether the struicture is made of native prims, sculpties, or mesh.   A linkset is a linkset.

• Like 1

Rolig is absolutely correct.  However, please remember to use off sim structures responsibly.  These things are really intended to stick out into the void...areas beyond the boundaries of a private region where there is normally nothing at all.

If your off sim objects stick out into somebody else's sim, they are likely to be upset with you.  If the sim belongs to Linden Lab, the area is intended to be freely navigable, and sticking reefs and things into that space is also frowned on.

I was curious how you make them as well. I've asked the creators on the ones on the market and they won't share that knowledge. And it isn't as simple as a root prim needs to be on the sim. there is the linking distance limitation.

These sim surround makers, i see ONE root prim on the sim, then the distant sim surround 200 meters away.

Plus isnt there a size limitation on uploading mesh? like 64x64x64?  I see most of these surrounds quit a bit larger than that.

@ Conan --

You can't rez a prim or create a mesh object that will exceed the 64m limit, but you can certainly use a megaprim.  You can still find megaprims on the market that are region-sized or larger.  Just remember that megaprims are a hack and therefore unstable.  You can slice, hollow, twist, or taper a megaprim, but if you resize it in any way, it will snap back to its default size -- probably 10x10x10m.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.