The End!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd have a lot fewer neckaches and my carpal tunnel would go away.  :)

All joking aside.........I'd be just fine and dandy.  I'd still find a reason to "need" and new video card, or to tweak my computer to run demanding stuff (even if I don't need to).  Life does not end when I shut down each evening so I don't think it would end if LL shut down on their end either. :smileyvery-happy:

Continue living as usual, play other games?

I'd a little bit sad though, because SL is the best MMO for me so far, mostly because I like the idea of having no limit in almost everything (especially avatar customization)

Of course some other games have it too, but they're either not MMO or the avatars are badly sync'd

I'd probably go back to Minecraft, ArmA, or The Sims (those games are either fully moddable, or allow us to have custom avatars in multiplayer too, with their ups and downs)

If SL were to shut down the first thing I would do is curse at not cashing out before my lindens were lost and then Google the law firm filing the class-action lawsuit to try and get some of it back in equivalent USD!

After that, I would probably find an alternate OpenSim company and set up a place for those I knew so we could meet. If it became successful I would be pleased but most likely it would be a temporary stop until I found the next cool on-line thing to waste my midnight hours.

I think many would do the same thing much like moving from one electronic system to another. If we didn't, we would all still be paying AOL for dial-up and searching the web with Yahoo!

Nuhai Ling wrote:

If SL were to shut down the first thing I would do is curse at not cashing out before my lindens were lost and then Google the law firm filing the class-action lawsuit to try and get some of it back in equivalent USD!

^^That, except it would be the money in my $US account I would be wanting.

I'd be extremely upset because I love SL and the community in it I'm part of.

Not the mention all the work I've put in it.

It is the greatest computer game I've ever played (even if it is not a game), it made me realise my dream of traveling in time, well it didn't but it came as close as I can get without a time machine.

I'd probably lose contact with quite a few SL people and that would be a shame too.

So I'd probably look into moving my sim to another virtual world or go back to regular life but with an hour extra to darn more stockings.

My main concern would be the recouping some of the loss of items Id paid for ... I get the impression from this forum that while USA folks dont seem to be overly concerned about things like value and quality for money and 'consumer rights' Id be over here in the UK seeing if there was any recourse to reclaim anything lost in an SL crash.

After all Lindens have gone to lengths to ensure they follow the laws regarding enforcing european taxes... so why shouldnt they be subject to european consumer law if theyre selling their goods here...

I'm an American and I am concerned with value and quality for anything I put money into.  But I also have never seen SL as any sort of investment........none.  I pay a quarterly fee for my premium membership and have done so without a single month missed for over 6 years.  I view SL as entertainment.  The money, effort, and time I've "invested" in SL was for the sole purpose of furthering my (my personal) entertainment.  And SL has come through for me without fail superbly.

If you came to SL with the thinking that it's an investment in anything other than what you are prepared to loose on then you are setting yourself up for some big, big disappointments.  SL was created as an experiment by Philip Rosedale over 10 years ago.........if's still an experiment.  Some people really need to think about what they are "investing" and just how risky that investment can be.  SL go belly-up tomorrow, I'll be disappointed.  But I would not feel I've lost anything except a fun entertainment past time that I've enjoyed or 6 plus years.  I will survive........and have 6 years worth for fond (and pleasant) memories.

Quality of service and value for money are two totally different things from investment which is a gamble - you pays your money you takes your chance as we say here.

I dont expect to see anything back for my payment other than a good working service and ever improving features enhancing the inworld experience as some pr person at sl might say... In view of the number of crashes, tp failures and the completely dormant state of inworld building its not really suprising that so many people seem to be cutting back the amount they pay.

Linden labs non participation in sl9 celebrations is hardly encouraging either

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I'm an American and I am concerned with value and quality for anything I put money into.  But I also have never seen SL as any sort of investment........none.  I pay a quarterly fee for my premium membership and have done so without a single month missed for over 6 years.  I view SL as entertainment.  The money, effort, and time I've "invested" in SL was for the sole purpose of furthering my (my personal) entertainment.  And SL has come through for me without fail superbly.

If you came to SL with the thinking that it's an investment in anything other than what you are prepared to loose on then you are setting yourself up for some big, big disappointments.  SL was created as an experiment by Philip Rosedale over 10 years ago.........if's still an experiment.  Some people really need to think about what they are "investing" and just how risky that investment can be.  SL go belly-up tomorrow, I'll be disappointed.  But I would not feel I've lost anything except a fun entertainment past time that I've enjoyed or 6 plus years.  I will survive........and have 6 years worth for fond (and pleasant) memories.

This ^^  Not sure where people are garnering their ideas of how people in the USA think, which is EXTREMELY varied - no way to really broadbrush an entire country as I'm sure onen would not wish to be pigeonholed into a one-dimensional view of their country, eh. ;)

As for what I'm "overly concerned" with - at this point it is the health and well-being of my elderly parents, my step-sister who has now been in the hospital for over 3 months after a vehicle accident with a wound in her leg that won't heal and has had an operation weekly during that 3 months (which increases the stress of my parents), while my step-sister has been in the hospital, her husband was found dead in their home of an apparent heart-attack (further increasing the stress on my step-sister and parents), trying to make ends meet in my own current financial situation, and taking the time to smell the RL roses. 

I've been in SL for now over 5 years, enjoy it immensely, and have amassed quite an inventory, but as Peggy said, I view any financial "investment" in it the same way as I do "WoW" - (not at all saying I consider SL a "game" - far from it - just a realistic comparison to how I may choose to spend entertainment dollars. At the moment I can't afford "investing" in any entertainment, but I can still enter SL and have a great time and not put any USD into it.

You mean if Second Life disappeared entirely? Well there wouldn't be any choice but to adapt, would there?

I'm more worried about the entire world economy 'crashing' right now. Especially with what just got voted in by the Supreme Court. But I don't want to talk about 'real life' in here. And no one ever changed anyone else's mind on the internet.

Melita Magic wrote:

You mean if Second Life disappeared entirely? Well there wouldn't be any choice but to adapt, would there?

I'm more worried about the entire world economy 'crashing' right now. Especially with what just got voted in by the Supreme Court. But I don't want to talk about 'real life' in here. And no one ever changed anyone else's mind on the internet.

Funny, I didn't think the Supreme Court voted.

...Dres

Some people would be lost, dead lost.

I would be sad that my poor little avatar would not have a digital world to bop around in. BUT, life, er, REAL life would go on. They can have the $2 RL USD worth of L$ I have to my name. Would not be worth so much as a phone call.

If you want to imagine hysteria, imagine if FB and twitter shut down? There would be rioting, bombings,  suicides, homicides, people jumping off buildings, diving in front of moving cars,  things would get bad enough that they would have to start marshall law to control the insanity. The screaming, whailing, gnashing of teeth and noise would be like the sounds of HELL ! My only regret is I would not be able to "like" it on FB that they are finally GONE.

Now me, if FB and twitter shut down, I would be outside doing a happy dance and singing a fast-paced silly disco song.

Thinkerer is on inworldz? Fascinating, I thought only TWO people on earth played inworldz. I guess it is up to three now.

Deja Letov wrote:

Play Skyrim or maybe Batman. Either one would work....

Wouldn't really affect me to be honest. I have a bazillion other games I could be playing.

if you mean this batman..arkham city or the one before it..i had gotten them for my nephews when they come over..i ended up playing it and really enjoying it..

i wish they would have had more of catwoman though..it was fun being her more than batman for me hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.