Problems with 4G and SL

ArchTx Edo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In regard to my previous question here:  

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/SL-on-4G-data-network/qaq-p/1563783

about the feasibility of using a 4G  USB data stick network connection for Second Life.   I just wanted to provide this update:

Wow!!! I'm impressed with 4G speeds. I finally settled on Virgin Mobile as having the best deal in my city, with great coverage here and unlimited 4G usage, so I bought one. 

Using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I tested my home wireless connection as well as the Virgin Mobile connection speeds and these are the results.

Home wireless via AT&T
Download 2.86 Mb/s Upload 0.86-0.95 Mb/s Ping 33-36 ms

Virgin Mobil 3G:
Download 1.16 Mb/s, Upload, 0.31 Mb/s Ping, 281 ms

Virgin Mobil 4G:
Download 10.02 Mb/s, Upload, 1.28 Mb/s Ping, 270 ms

I had never imagined that the 4G data speeds would be better then my home wireless connection. Downloading it is 3.5 times faster!!! Amazing. I could give up my AT&T Wireless service at home and have a faster connection for less money. 

I went with Virgin Mobile because I got a better deal than AT&T or Sprint offered and they use the Sprint network which has great coverage in Austin. No data plan is required, its prepaid. I costs me only $35/month for 2 GB of 3G service and Unlimited 4G service, with no contract and no commitment, I can change the plan anytime I want. Buy what I need any particular month or nothing if I am not using it. 

I never expected 4G to be so impressive. It runs Second Life better then my AT&T wireless home network.

And to ask, has anyone actually had problems using 4G to connect to SL.  From my perspective it is a huge improvement over wifi which I have been using.  

2 answers to this question

4G, and even 3G, will work for most people.  However, SL's performance is NOT guaranteed by LL over this type of connection...if you use them, you are on your own.

And SL will eat up a LOT of bandwidth.  Unless you are on an unlimited account, playing SL on a wireless internet connection can get VERY expensive.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.