Question about Rp formatting.

Jagdish Indiawood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been on secondlife for a little while now and my biggest complaint is with the rp- community and the rp that's available.

Just about every sim and storyline seems to die off fairly quickly and it always seems to be because there isn't enough direction.

"This is a future rp! And go"
And without much more direction than 'no vampires' 'no fantasy creatures' things go haywire pretty fast.
So I was thinking about orchestrating an rp that's a bit more in depth in terms of backstory, plot and what is and isn't allowed within the confines of the world being played in.

My question is would this be an idea that would be more successful and popular among rp-ers. For the most part rp for many people is about being able to have a certain amount of freedom over character creation and their own actions. Minimizing some of that might make things less fun for those participating - having someone act as a DM of sorts I mean with stricter world rules.

Help?

The success of a RP of this nature would be conditional on being able to recruit enough people to sustain the RP and acceptance of the 'rules' by those interested in it..  If I were you, I would first recruit a core group of people interested in this type of more restrictive RP and then work as as a group to develop the backstory and rules.  I would write up a general outline of what you have in mind with perhaps some suggested scenarios and and show it to potential group members with the proviso that once the group is formed, that the backstory, roles and rules would be worked out within the group.  At least this way you could be sure of enough interest before putting a lot of time and effort into it.

You could make a post on this forum and other SL forums to recruit group members as well as write it up on a notecard that you can pass to people in world who may be interested.

I think  the DM/GM/Sotryteller mode we have in traditional RPG hardly could be applied to an enviroemnt like SL:

SL is great and offers amazing tools for everything related to building roleplay settings, envinroment, atmosphere and immersive feeling; however SL lacks the basic game mechanics (beside the mechanics offered by the several meters and anyway limited to the combat) we find in "traditional" RPG and that facilitate/push a more structured DM/Soryteller gameplay.

Also, SL is an open media, users are very assorted and different so defining (and policying) strict standard is not easy as when playing with a close group of friends already sharing similar gameplay canons or backround. And generally the average SL users have no roleplay experience (beside the SL chat/emoting interactions). So a lite "freeform" approach seems  more easy and viable, here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.