Do I Have to upgrade my account to buy/rent a house?

JaneLezza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

Absolutely not!

You can buy or rent from other residents, and still be just a Basic member. At one point I had 1/3 of a sim for my own use, and I built a nice castle on it, that I and all my friends could enjoy. I rented the land from another Resident, who owned the sim. I've never been anything other than a Basic member. I had full land owner rights, and Estate Manager rights. The only thing I could not do was sell the parcel to someone else. But then, I never had to pay for it up front, either. I just had to pay my rent, like anyone who lives in a real-world apartment does. Landlords own land everywhere, including on the Mainland and in the Adults-only sims. Landlords tend to enforce covenants about what is allowed in their estates, which usually makes for a much more livable and lag-free experience.

Being Premium allows you to purchase land on the Mainland continents directly from Linden Lab, and to 'cut out the middleman' of having a landlord who is also a Resident. It is, arguably, a little more secure, since you don't have to worry about your landlord going broke and defaulting on his payments to Linden Lab, or selling the sim to someone else who intends to move and re-develop it. You can also sell your parcel later, at whatever rate the market will bear. (Recently, the resale value of land has been poor, but that's another matter altogether.) But on the Mainland you also have absolutely zero control over what your neighbors do, and no landlord to maintain order and a good environment. That peaceful waterfront villa that you set up on the Mainland in a sleepy little sim might have a jam-packed nightclub appear next to it tomorrow, hogging every last resource in the sim and making your land worthless. And LL won't do anything about such abuses in most cases.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.