Ditch the Facelight

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Oh, stop being all reasonable and **bleep**, you. You'll confuse people.

You can probably rest assured that I will still be branded one of those evil, anti-social, narcissistic facelight wearers.  Additionally, there are those busy bodies who would mock me for my avatar being unrealistically tall, my hips too narrow, my shoulders too broad, my unmentionables too large, my wearing of flexi prims, my exposing of the occasional butt crack, etc... etc...

...Dres *luckily, stopped wearing bling ages ago*

lillez wrote:

I would like to try and explain a different perspective with this post.   I am a person who has used  the facelight that came with my premium brand skin.   I do not add things to this such as bling or glitters.   Every day I get countless compliments on my appearance....with the facelight on..      During my short tenure here in SL, I have had 3 rude, experienced SL people point out that my facelight is a problem for them and I need to turn it off.      Now I know I am just a noobie......but if I have 90 people  telling me that my look is one of the best they have seen.....and 3  people telling me my facelight is too bright.....which would you go with?

The simple truth of this situation is the problem is  not just  facelights.    The problem is facelight  +  viewers settings.  Notice...there are two halves to this problem....two people involved.     I just left a place where  person after person complimented my avi......but one individual told me my facelight was too bright and I needed to turn it off.   So is the problem my facelight when 95%  of the people like it.....or the settings that some people have?

Obviously, the facelight.  If you actually got a skin that is worth the money, it'd look good without the facelight.  Thankfully, this fad has largely died now, and it's only real serious newbies who are using them.  That said, you don't have to look like a lightbulb to do it; your skin isn't supposed to look like you're standing in front of a vanity in the middle of the night.  If you want to look like you do in full light all the time, that's what environment settings are for, set yours to noon.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Simple solution, under the advanced menu in the rendering, you can chose not to render attach lights...problem solved.

This, however, also destroys legitimate uses of attached lights, like flashlights, lanterns, headlamps, etc. that don't destroy suspension of disbelief in any given scene.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

But it might also be asking everyone else to limit their visual options because one person refuses
to use

respect the environment around them, since many people nearby are using 
modern graphics settings.

Fixed that for you.  I'm not going to hate on someone for having older hardware, but to do so and not get the hint...

Perrie Juran wrote:

I've seen cases of people wearing Facelights because they were told they made them look better when on their own (low end) computers they couldn't even see the difference.

I guess that's this decade's "Here, wear this attachment" and it turns out to be a rocket that sends 'em into orbit type trick.

Is it still going on? Lol. I created a nice low light and offered it for free for years just tto wean people off cleigh lights. I need to put it up again. Skin makers shouldn't include lights. Some lights are great for photography.. Low lights were never the issue. And I've seen old residents in cleigh lights. Models for sure. I'm less bothered nowadays. But it must have bothered me when I oped this year's ago.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Simple solution, under the advanced menu in the rendering, you can chose not to render attach lights...problem solved.

This, however, also destroys legitimate uses of attached lights, like flashlights, lanterns, headlamps, etc. that don't destroy suspension of disbelief in any given scene.

I'm in SL many years and I can't remember of any torchlight user. But I can remember of many 1000 foolish looking avatars with way to bright facelights.

Well, now I still see no torchlights and If I meet one of that foolish looking facelight-avatars - I will not even know it ! And I will still find my way without a working torchlight.

Isn't that great? :D

Nova Convair wrote:

Baloo Uriza wrote:

I'm in SL many years and I can't remember of any torchlight user.

Erm...  I still use a torch occasionally at night when it's very dark in the forest. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

However, I have never used facelights and I will never do so. There is no need for them. Lighting one's face with invisible light source looks strange to me. People, wear torches! :smileytongue:

Torch.jpg

Face shadows are a result of your windlight settings. The one thing people have to face is that regardless of how good they may look to themselves, they may not look good to others, depending on their graphics and windlight settings. The best you can do is set your windlight setting so you are happy with what you see. That's all you have control over. The right windlight settings and no facelights are needed....just saying.

serotica wrote:

Probably been mentioned before, but I find a subtle facelight eliminates face shadows. Once that design flaw is fixed I feel facelights will become obsolete. 

What do you mean by a "design flaw"? There is no need to fix the lighting nor to eliminate shadows. Shadows are cool. What needs fixing is the avatar mesh to get rid of the faults in it.

Of course facelight will eliminate the shadows. I almost always keep shadows on in my viewer. I certainly will not want a facelight to kill the shadows. Look at peoples faces in RL when the sun is shining brightly. The faces will have shadows depending how the sunlights hits the face. I wonder why people want the avatar face to be lit evenly and perfectly in the best possible way always - like in a photo studio?

Picture below: Just some Windlight setting, shadows on, no facelight. Yay!

If a facelight was worn in the picture here it would have killed the effect of ambient lighting and shadows and thus it would have produced more flatly lit uninteresting picture.

No-facelight.jpg

Yeah, I'm not a fan of facelights. I prefer torches, when needed.  :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

• 5 years later...
On 6/21/2012 at 5:41 AM, Caitlin Tobias said:

I have always worn a facelight.  Otherwise my face looks like its in the dark and shadowy, even with all light and shadow settings checked in preferences .  I wish SL would fix this somehow.  I use a very low key facelight, I make my own with a 0.5 intensety and radius of 1.0.  It probably could go even lower than this. Nobody has ever complained about my facelights on low.  I know those that walk in and shining for miles around on pre-made ones, lol..  They are fine if you know how to use them properly. 

Penny Patton wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

In my opinion however, people who complain about facelights are considerably worse than the people who wear them. Can we ditch those, instead?

I have to disagree. If we were talking about simple personal fashion sense that would be one thing, but a poorly set up nose lamp isn't simply bad fashion, it affects everyone around the person wearing it.

For those on less powerful computers which cannot run deferred rendering, they are still limited to six environmental lights, each noselamp eats at that number, breaking the lighting in an environment to the point where it can be difficult for others to see.

Blindingly bright noselamps also affect everyone else's ability to see by washing out the nearby enviornment in blindly bright light. The people wearing these often do not even have local lights on so they serve no purpose whatsoever.

Bad nose lamps force people to turn attached lights off, breaking good use of attached lights (like flashlights in dark sims) and even with attached lights disabled, nose lamps STILL count against local light sources.

Over use of noselamps can also cause crashing and framerate issues.

All of these  issues contribute to why people feel so strongly about whether or not others are wearing nose lamps.

I LOL'ed at 'nose lamps' but fully agree with all you wrote.

I am one of those that likes o explore and go places, being in high/ultra graphics with shadows enabled and everything. Just because I can and because I love it. Facelights indeed ruin some of my experiences and yeah, force me to either derender a complete avatar or in most cases I have to untick the attached lights. When I go to a club I switch to medium graphics and disable a lot, not because my machine can't handle it, but just to get rid of the excessive lights people around me tend to use.

I am aware most wearers of face-lights have NO clue on what they do to the 'environment', and sometimes pointing it out or sending them a picture/snapshot on what I (and others) see ....helps. Facelights can have a purpose I suppose, when taking pictures of oneself, although I have never used one. Well maybe back in 2007....

And  let's not get me started on full bright buildings!!! (but that is another story.....)

Edited by Kacie Zapedzki

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

wouldn't be wrong if something was added.. but it's just telling what everybody knows

Except for this: Viewer settings: Untick (turn off) "Light emitted from other avatars" (Paraphrased) in all viewers, including LL viewer. It is EPICWIN Setting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Except for this: Viewer settings: Untick (turn off) "Light emitted from other avatars" (Paraphrased) in all viewers, including LL viewer. It is EPICWIN Setting.

What *I* want is a tick box that let's me turn off all local lighting except my own.

So many nice builds that are ruined by being poorly lit.

I have worn lighting disabled by default thanks to far too many people wandering around with mini suns around them - not really helped by mesh head designers bundling in some as "fixes" for visible texture lines.

IMO the only justifiable instance to wear any form of body illumination is during a photography session.

Edited by Zak Westminster
typonese correction

8 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Snapshot_006.png

I have one of those........ somewhere.  xD

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

wouldn't be wrong if something was added.. but it's just telling what everybody knows

Actually, if you pull up the post that was quoted, there really was something added.  The quote and reply is just messed up though - formatted funky.

I am still using my free very adjustable  facelight from twelve years ago. It isn't worn or on normally but is REALLY IMPORTANT for photos.  I do remember all those super bright body lights that folks wore :D.  Over on the Realms you could see them from many sims away. That was handy in that case LOL.   

Works great!   

https://secondlifecolors.blogspot.com/2008/02/cg-facelight-free.html

Forgot to add that the one I typically use is a mod version where I lowered ALL the intensity choices. I renamed it "dim". Still fills in the light very well. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.