Ditch the Facelight

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

glow

bright

Sassy Romano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

She had to confess on her computer she could see no difference. Then I sent her a screen shot of the 'washout' she was causing on mine.  I did switch her to a subtler light.

Graphics set to Low turns off all lighting.  That's probably why.

I've had to send snapshots to creators who made things with their graphics set to low but put a light source in every prim of an object.

I have a friend, an artist, who has this problem also.  She did not realize the full effect glow was having. Top picture taken with graphics on high, bottom picture with graphics on low.  So I am her "extra pair of eyes" doing screen shots so she can see what others will see.

Reading through this thread again, what I would like to see is a balanced article discussing the use, the pros and cons of face lights.  So people can make an educated decision.  If someone wants to use a Facelight, it is 'their world, their imagination' and I don't want to dictate to others what they do. But more often than not, I think the use of Facelights occurs without an awareness of what is really going on.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

To me facelight sends a message "look at me". :smileywink:

Yup, pretty much screams either "I'm a newbie" or "I'm all style and no substance."

Ridiculous.

People use facelights because the lighting in SL is horrible and unpredictable, their screens are not mirrors that they can adjust someone else's perception in, and because they went through a hell of a lot of effort attempting to dress out their avies for the sole purpose of looking nice. Same as in RL.

Facelights preceded Windlight. This makes assertions that facelights are the domain of the newbie dubious at best. The backlash against facelights since Windlight came out alone has forced them into the sidelines so how exactly do they maintain enough ummph as a product to be ubiquitous among new players? Where is the advertising for them that existed back in '06-'07 when tons of people wore them, which has newbies running out to buy them in similar numbers? Who would they find out about facelights from then?

Additionally most manufacturers only seem to make them in two intensities. Quasar, and Supernova. If there's an issue with that, rip the manufacturers. Don't blame the customers who are just doing what they can to try and present the best appearance they can. Unless you create in SL, what else is there to do exactly besides "look your best" except run store to store to find things that make you look your best?

Just so much overblown entitlement sense with a sprinkle of implied chronological snobbery. Nothing more. It would behoove many "old hats" to remember what motivated so many to come here and why possibly 3/4 of the stuff sold in SL is avie appearance related. Or is the mark of a true non-newbie to walk around in the default avie because they don't care what they look like to themselves or anyone else? If so, where are those SL vets then?

Others have already pointed out what exactly facelights do to others. It's pretty irrelevant whether the facelight is too bright or not.

Besides, Facelights promise something they cannot keep. What people see depends too much on individual settings.

Instead of "making avis look their best", all they do is make their users look like imbecile, inconsiderate idiots.

I think there is only one way to settle this debate.  Every participant with an opinion must take an in-world pic either with a facelight or without (choose your poison,) and post the photo to the "VaNiTy ThReAd".  

I guarantee, regardless of your preference, you will be welcomed and cheered.   

PS I look forward to seeing you all there.  

Kascha, I think the reason facelights are still popular with new players is pretty much the same as it was before we had Windlight -- that they make skins look a lot better in the default SL lighting.      And it takes a bit of time before you realise that you can adjust your Windlight settings to achieve much the same effect and also -- which took me rather longer to realise -- that because other people are playing with their Windlight settings, too, you really have very little control over how you look to other people, whether you're using facelights or Windlight settings to control how you look to yourself.

What really brought this home to me was when I made an alt once and bought her a starter pack that included a skin, clothes, hair and facelight.   When I was logged in as her, she looked really pretty good.   Then I logged in as me, and she looked like she was standing under a floodlight, which meant I couldn't really see her face properly.   So I switched to her, ditched the facelight, and played with her face a bit till she looked good in normal SL daytime lighting and even better using the Windlight presets I tend to favour.

But it takes time, I think, for people to realise that, whatever they do, they can only really control how they look to themselves, not to anyone else, facelights or not, and that, anyway, half the time people aren't going to see their facelights, no matter how subtle they are, because they'll have turned them off to avoid someone else who has got megawatt lights.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I think there is only one way to settle this debate.  Every participant with an opinion must take an in-world pic either with a facelight or without (choose your poison,) and post the photo to the

I guarantee, regardless of your preference, you will be welcomed and cheered.   

PS I look forward to seeing you all there.  

Oh! Well, ALL my pictures in the VaNiTy ThReAd are made without facelight!

:)

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Others have already pointed out what exactly facelights do to others. It's pretty irrelevant whether the facelight is too bright or not.

Besides, Facelights promise something they cannot keep. What people see depends too much on individual settings.

Instead of "making avis look their best", all they do is make their users look like imbecile, inconsiderate idiots.

This.  No exception.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I personally like knee lights better.  This way I get to wear two lights and I get to show-off my knees at that same time.  I don't know why, I guess I like staring at my knees; and when others stare at my knees it is a real turn on.    

I see the need for butt lights maybe. I've seen this problem more than once where the person's bum looks....infected.

lunapic_134047538964139_1.jpg

Rival Destiny wrote:

hmmm well I have to say that I like my facelight.  I think the problem is not having them it's learning how to use them properly. 

Is a personal choice & not everyone's taste of course. 

SL only renders the 3 (or 6?) nearest light sources.

So when you wear a facelight, you screw up lighting for anyone near you.

Its essentially a -mild- form of griefing. Mild only because most people doing it don't know they are causing this impact to local lighting.

If my read of Penny is correct, even turning them off - they still shut off the local lights.

Raven1 Short wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I personally like knee lights better.  This way I get to wear two lights and I get to show-off my knees at that same time.  I don't know why, I guess I like staring at my knees; and when others stare at my knees it is a real turn on.    

I see the need for butt lights maybe. I've seen this problem more than once where the person's bum looks....infected.

Hm. More a reason to just keep your pants on in public? Heh!

(My skin, not even a cheapo - from Glam Affair - has the same by the way, not always charming...)

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Raven1 Short wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Hm. More a reason to just keep your pants on in public? Heh!

(My skin, not even a cheapo - from Glam Affair - has the same by the way, not always charming...)

It's not me but it's really disturbing that it happens.

Raven1 Short wrote:

This is why we need more vertices on our bums. And crotch too.  :smileylol:

We cannot wear Brazilian type bikinis with bums like this.

Linden Lab, do you read?  :matte-motes-angry:

With shadows turned on I see many more light sources than 6 even if the prim creating the light source isn't being rendered in my viewer.  Not sure what the limit is with shadows turned on though.

Correction: In Firestorm the setting is called Point Lighting which "Changes the degree of local lighting, from none, to limited, to maximum." , but again I am not sure what the maximum limit is.  I only know it is more than 6.  A lot more.

You can see all the visible light sources belonging to all the derendered Linden Homes as an example.

light sources_002_001.jpg

Seven Overdrive wrote:

With shadows turned on I see many more light sources than 6 even if the prim creating the light source isn't being rendered in my viewer.  Not sure what the limit is with shadows turned on though.

Correction: In Firestorm the setting is called Point Lighting which
"Changes the degree of local lighting, from none, to limited, to maximum."
, but again I am not sure what the maximum limit is.  I only know it is more than 6.  A lot more.

You can see all the visible light sources belonging to all the derendered Linden Homes as an example.

Enabling lighting and shadows in the Second Life Viewer enables you to display:

Full dynamic lighting for an infinite number of local light sources.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Lighting-and-shadows/ta-p/997819#Overview

Point lights are largely unaffected by the Lighting and Shadows setting, except:

Every light in the scene will have a cumulative influence on lighting (not just the closest six lights).

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Lighting-and-shadows/ta-p/997819#Point_lights

Personally, I love my Face Lights, they are controlled by a hud which allows me to change their intensity, color, and which ones are on or off. I usually have them turned off except for photography.

If it is true that having them attached but off still affects other's 6 light limit, I would detach them and only attach them for photos, but I have not read where that is the case.

facelights

I have seen the blinding lights of others, and it is quite jarring at times, but I do not think that just because someone has a bright light that they are purposefully going for that effect, as has been said, it probably looks good in their monitor because of their settings. 

I had no idea people felt this way about facelights. Some of the avi's I use have these built in, and I was never fussed about it one way or the other. I use Nirans viewer, which tends to balance things out pretty decently, I guess. It's something I'll be more aware of in future, though - especially when I'm in public. 

Seven Overdrive wrote:

Most people are unable to run with shadows on when regularly moving about. Its something people tend to use for snapshots. Only a few of us get decent framerates walking around with it on.

And it needs to be judged by what capabilities are in the official viewer. Derender for example - is not a valid answer as its not an official feature. If point lighting is just another name for shadows - then that's valid for consideration - but then cut out due to performance limits.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Seven Overdrive wrote:

Most people are unable to run with shadows on when regularly moving about. Its something people tend to use for snapshots. Only a few of us get decent framerates walking around with it on.

And it needs to be judged by what capabilities are in the official viewer. Derender for example - is not a valid answer as its not an official feature. If point lighting is just another name for shadows - then that's valid for consideration - but then cut out due to performance limits.

Point Lighting is not just another name for shadows, but rather a type of light source or perhaps a way light is projected.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Lighting-and-shadows/ta-p/997819

In the official viewer, the rendering of attached lights can be disabled, as has been mentioned before.

Develop > Rendering > Render Attached Lights

Not necessarily directed at you, Pussycat, just generally speaking in reply to a few points you mentioned, no pun intended :P  

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Point Lighting is not just another name for shadows, but rather a type of light source or perhaps a way light is projected.

In the official viewer, the rendering of attached lights can be disabled, as has been mentioned before.

Develop > Rendering > Render Attached Lights

Not necessarily directed at you, Pussycat, just generally speaking in reply to a few points you mentioned, no pun intended
:P

It was my mistake.  I thought point lighting controlled the number of lights visible, but you cleared that up.  Thanks for the education.  :smileyhappy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Raven1 Short wrote:

This is why we need more vertices on our bums. And crotch too.  :smileylol:

We cannot wear Brazilian type bikinis with bums like this.

Linden Lab, do you read?
  :matte-motes-angry:

I always wondered about this issue. It is kinda gross, especially if someone is trying to be all sexy and ... other activities invovling the butt area (though I don't know what that might be)...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.