How can I delete my account?

HeloiseMN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Heloise,

There is really no need to delete an unwanted account. Just walk away from it. No muss & no fuss.

If you really want to delete your account, you may cancel it by following this link:

https://secondlife.com/my/account/cancel.php?lang=en-US

After canceling a basic account you have 30 days to change your mind before it is lost forever.

After canceling a Premium account you have 30 days after your current membership paid to date to change your mind before it is lost forever.

Remember: Reactivation of any cancelled account, including free basic accounts, will cost a one-time fee of USD 9.95

If you are canceling a Premium account, be sure to sell or abandon all land you may own first.  Go to your dashboard at secondlife.com and then to the Land Manager sidebar link. Check Group Land, My Mainland and My Regions to see what land Linden Lab still says you own. 

Once you are sure that you no longer own any, then go to the Land Use Fees link in that same menu and set yours to L$0.

If you are a member of any groups that expect you to pay a share of group liabilities periodically, leave those groups.

Then change your account from Premium to Basic. 

Those steps will guarantee that you will not be billed for any continuing costs. You then have two choices:

1. Close your account completely by clicking on the Account >> Cancel Account link in your dashboard's sidebar menu or

2. Just walk away.  As Karen says, this is probably the smarter choice. It costs you nothing to keep a Basic account alive, but it costs you $9.95 to re-open one once it has been closed.  You'd be surprised by how many people come back to SL after a few months (or more).  If you haven't closed your account when you change your mind, your avatar and all your inventory will still be waiting fo you. (And any L$ that you forgot to take with you too.)  :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.