Main Server Restart

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Credit where it is due, this restart seems to have lived up to expectations, lag is down a bit, rezzing is better, scripts seem to run smoother, and sim ping is down drastically all in all making for a much more stable set of servers.  Now is we could get similar results in the blue steel regions we would be making progress for those areas are seriously suffering.

Agree Lydia, kudos to Lindens if and thats a big if this lasts longer than a day. Let's keep fingers crossed & hope for the best. Performance was quite good I was able to actually get some work done. Rolled out a little scripting update smoothly and rezzing stuff was also no problem. Teleporting was smooth which is new. My sims got more busy too with people coming and going so I can only assume SL running better for everybody.

At one point one side of my avie's face disappeared except for the eyeball & tongue popping out which was more than a little freakish but this madness restored easily with a rebake :catvery-happy:

Might be time for Lindens to take a little break. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Actually there is still a ton broken on the RC servers, but if they could get those stable a break might be appreciated.  If nothing else it would give people time to recover from the last six months damage and hopefully convince some that left in frustration that it is safe to return.  Also it might give LL a little time to better test some of their projects and evaluate how this is actually working.

Unfortunately, whatever gains were made in the restarts were lost this weeked by whatever it was LL did to the servers, because crashes were epidemic, teleports are failing constantly, lag is horrible, logins are a constant problem, and inventory is at best an adventure.  Also if you look at the median numbers of those on line this week you will see it has declined steadly.  If LL cannot provide players with a dependable level of service such declines are to be expected and as for myself I will be changing my membership to quarterly from annual, after six full years of annual membership simply because I no longer am sure SL will last another year.  If you cannot work one the servers without making them worse why bother and instead either hire people with the skill to do so or test what you are doing til you are sure it will work.  Logins, teleports, movement between, sims or zones are things that are taken for granted in most games and if you cannot provide those basic services then one wonders how you justify us paying some of the highest rates for service in the gaming world.  This has to change or we all are in serious trouble.

I've been inworld all weekend shopping, hosting events and generally exploring and dressing my avatar. I've had no trouble logging in or with TPs, very little lag (I turn my draw distance down to 128m when I shop) and while my inventory has from time to time taken a minute or two to change an outfit or item it's only failed once or twice to load notecards. Busy regions have taken time to render, but they eventually do and frankly that's to be expected given how people load themselves down with scripts and prims. I have crossed sim borders at sale events with minimal disruption.

If your inworld experience is so bad I seriously hope you find the trouble and correct it. I have a computer with a mid-range AMD CPU and mid-level graphics card and play SL on high settings mostly. In my experience most lag people experience inworld is the result of them setting their graphics higher than their computer can reasonably handle, draw distances set too high, not clearing cache occasionally, and poor internet connections (low bandwidth, high ping and lost packets).

I pay tier in SL on 1/2 mainland region and for the record it's the ONLY user generated content grid with serious concurrency to make all the things people want to do inworld possible. My tier is "relatively" fair but I sure wouldn't complain if they lowered it a little, but that's not likely since they're in business to make money not give it away. But then I also don't expect Subaru to send me a bunch of money as a rebate for the 2003 model I own because I whine about high car prices.

Have a nice SL week!

@both Lydia  and Cincia

While on the whole I think Cincia makes sense with her post, the comparison of older cars and SL pricing is simply not valid.  My avatar is probably one of those Cincia refers to as being "script-and-prim-laden" (though I have carefully monitored my script function for over two years now) and yet I find I TP and move around relatively well in most places.  But then, I upgraded my PC so that it could cope, as does my connection (cable, fibre-optic).

However....

My partner who lives on the same sim (a Homestead), generally has fewer prims and many fewer scripts, has the same broadband service as me and a broadly similar PC spec, has dreadful trouble loging in, finds lag and failed TPs an issue and generally thinks SL sucks.  I wonder why?

Rodvik tries to promote SL as a "Shared Experience".  For us it is a long way from being shared.  Some accounts are having a torrid time lately, and while Linden Lab are aware of these issues, we see precious little being done to improve it subjectively.

PS: Oh, and for the record we both are very conscientious about optimising our viewer settings!

"Also if you look at the median numbers of those on line this week you will see it has declined steadly"

It's called summer time. It's that magical time of the year when people actually get up from their computers and go outside. Also many in Europe are watching the Football (Soccer) and going on vacations. So, the lower numbers have absolutely nothing to do with server deploys or grid conditions. :smileyhappy:

"So, the lower numbers have absolutely nothing to do with server deploys or grid conditions."

I am not so sure Darien. Yesterday's rollout of the main grid took nearly 12 hours, and for many regions there were multiple rollouts and untold losses. I am a smallish real estate guy, with 4 full and one homestead regions, which I (try to) rent at something approaching break-even. Yesterday, at least one of my regions must not have restarted correctly, and so was rolled back to an earlier saved copy, resulting in the loss of a rental payment, which I will have to cover as closely as I can manage. The best I can get from support is "we warn people not to make L$ payments during rollouts". When was the last time you actually saw that warning, unless you look at Grid Status every day?

So all I am saying is that between lower occupancy, and this sort of ongoing problem, I could easily decide to just sell or abandon all but one of my sims, offering the land to a much smaller group of close friends where I could monitor their Tier payments easily. Hard to say where the other 20 or so residents might go, assuming they decide to stay inworld.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.