Rigged mesh upload problems -.-

Sheena Benelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

Im pretty new in working with mesh and I just finished a dress and tryed to upload it.

Im working with maya 2012 and i either save the files as fbx/dae or fbx and convert them with the fbx converter to collada. I tryed both but i cant seem to upload a rigged mesh.

I found this tutorial by Sae Luan here and i used the same skelton and all. But everytime i want to upload it the "include skin weights" buttom is grey (Reset form didnt help), Then i tryed to upload it without painting weights and hey i can select "include skin weights" but then  the wohle mesh gets messed up -.-

like here

Sry its german but just so you know what i mean.

I hope someone can help me and tell me what i do wrong.

Thanks. I will  take a look through it. But i dont use blender (i actually have it but i dont like it), so i dont know if it will help me because i may not understand want it means. Im so used to maya now that i dont want to switch to blender. like i said, i startet working on mesh only 2 weeks ago.

There are a bunch of things that can cause Maya not to work right.  You might want to start with something much simpler.  Like say a polygon cylinder weighted / Skinned to one arm or leg of the skeleton.  This is assuming you been able to upload something like a chair or other mesh object that doesn't need to be weighted to a skeleton.

Remember only polygons work with SL.  You can't use Nurbs or subdivisions.

Make sure you are doing exactly what Sae Luan is doing in her video.  If you even miss one thing it won't work.

You shouldn't need to use the FBX Converter at all.  Exporting out of Maya as a DAE_FBX. (*.dae) file you don't need the converter and can upload it directly to SL.

I hope that helps.
:)

Cathy

I have exactly the same issue while dowloading rigged basic female avatar collada file exported from Blender. I use the option for Second Life while exporting in Blender. I have a look at the tutorial and I wonder what may be the cause, but I can't find the solution. I am beginner in rigged mesh.

I use Blender 2.63 and official  viewer 3.3.2.

Edit

The same problem with Blender 2.62. I tick 'Export for Second Life'. 

Edit

It was the file issue in my case. Try the files from: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.