why do people have a TOS disclaimer in their profile?

danicah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i belive that some of these people (Who have the TOS Disclamed in there profile) are idoit and stuiped cause what they arre doin is abuseing the TOS there seif if you look at it in a way i dont have no TOS Disclamed but if you read my in wolrd profile it says what t says and the reason why i put that in there is because of these people who are TOS Disclaming and i can't really stand these people who do stuff like that it's like they are saying "you dont have the rights to put your hands on me but i can put my hands on you anytime i want" now hold on a second now in your profile it statmneted that you can't do sucn and such but you can d suc an dsuch to me or another player here now something is wrog with that puzzle rite there now it's hard to avolding them cause you dont know whos has what in there pro unless you look at there pro first(always look and read people's profile before messageing them) thats what i do and i hope people do the same for me as will

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem - for standard telephone calls, a simple recording stating that the call may be recorded and stating the reasons for this recording being made is more than enough to satisfy the stipulation of consent, even in the dual/multi-party systems used in some US states. 

Much the same was said concerning telephone companies and businesses making recordings of conversations. Much the same was said of any company making a record of all communications on their networks - internal and external,

Guess who lost in the end?

Kindly don't ever try and pull this BS on me in the future - unlike you, I'm not the sort who believes the BS notion that they can do whatever they want, now and forever. 

Solar Legion wrote:

Ahem - for standard telephone calls, a simple recording stating that the call may be recorded and stating the reasons for this recording being made is more than enough to satisfy the stipulation of consent, even in the dual/multi-party systems used in some US states. 

While this is doubtless very important  if you want to satisfy an American court about the legality of recording a telephone conversation, what does it have to do with LL's policy on their customers sharing people's IMs, in contravention of LL's ToS?

Solar Legion wrote:

You've looked up the laws, correct?

It's self-explanatory. 

No, that's why I'm asking you, since you are apparently familiar with the relevent legislation and case law and I am, most certainly, not at all familiar with them.   I repeat my question:

" If someone gets banned for sharing IMs in-world, what leading case should he quote in his attempts to have a judge order LL to reinstate his account?"

Solar is confusing laws and rules. Plenty of things against various rules in various places are not illegal.

Just because using a weighted bat isn't against any laws, good luck being allowed to use it in any serious baseball games.

Or how about running in the supermarket? Not illegal, but they can still throw you out if you do it.

Innula - I just report on what's been found and do the basic research to verify that it is possible.

To answer the question I can answer, the same laws governing telecommunications also govern the sharing of messaging logs - in the eyes of the law, they're the same thing.

To take it one step further, I'll point you to the practice of companies being required to ask for your permission to send either signed or "anonymous" useage data concerning their programs - it's much the same for one's Television company or even their ISP in general.

I recall a case years ago wherein the issue of sharing a private IM with another person was found to be covered under the telecommunications laws. One party had shared a messenger log with a third party which contained some sensitive, private information. The ToS of the service in question allowed for the sharing of these logs without consent.

It was some time after this case that many messenger providers turned around and went the opposite way - though for a time, a few did try and follow the laws themselves.

This was and is the best way of going about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.