Mesh is following the "tear drop" trend?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed that most of the mesh clothes I'm trying on are following the trend of having hips so wide, it looks like they were stretched out by some gross forced torture, probably to fit the avatars with hips that look like that. I never understood what all that is about. Can someone please explain to me the reason women want their avatars to look like a pear with legs??? What's the attraction with that? It's kind of annoying now that mesh designers see this as the norm and those of us who like to keep things realistic have to deal mesh that wont hug hips that are in proportion with the rest of our body.

I tend to agree with you, i just cannot fathom the need for mesh clothes,especially tops, clothes are supposed to fit the avatar not the other way around.

It's not that females in SL want to look like you described, they have no choice because thats how mesh fits, you have to mod your avy to fit the mesh clothes,

Many females in SL like to dress as they never would in RL, but with mesh SL is beginning to mirror RL with very conservative clothes.(mesh)

As for myself i really will not be wearing mesh, i am proud of my avy,she is made by me and is exactly what i want and i will not change my shape to fit clothes.

I also use phoenix, yes my choice , and it is'nt a mesh viewer but it is funny sometimes to see people wearing blocks for shoes and strange looking blobs on their body for clothes.

But that being said.beside my own clothes and skins and avatars in our shop, i do carry affiliate clothes and i see that all new clothes updates are mesh now,,,,,shame

i prefer tight fitting tops, etc,,, i keep the mesh clothes separate so if someone does'nt want to be bothered with mesh, then they will steer clear of the mesh room if they prefer

I would like the answer to that question too and couldn't agree more with you.  FIrst I'll say that everyone should be able to have the avatar they want.  If they find a huge butt and hips with triple D busts attractive, then go for it.  But I don't and I should not be forced to change it.

I rarely find any mesh clothes that fit me without distorting my avatar's appearance,either because I have to change my shape -which I will not do, or wear an alpha and let the clothes become my shape, which I also will not do.  Its not  just hips for me either, its bust too because my avi doesn't sport double D's. NONE of the standard sizing fits my avatar well.

I have been buying a few mesh things when I saw things that I liked AND that fit me somewhat because I figured they would fit better when the deformer was available.  So far that's less than five items.  All of the items I have bought are for conservative business wear.  I have yet to find any clothes for play that don't look dowdy on my avatar.

I am going to stop buying mesh altogether now.  I recently found out that if clothes not created and imported with the deformer viewer (only now in beta), will not work with the deformer.  So far I have seen no designer promise an auto and free update when the deformer comes on line.  So any mesh you buy now will mostly be obsolete shortly and its a waste of money in my opinion.  Further there are issues with texture distortion and the deformer.  The deformer when used,may make the clothes fit better, but will distort textures for some avatars if the size or proportions have to be changed past a certain point.  I am betting that I'll be one of those lucky ones where the textures will distort.  There is now a debate going on.  Will people be satisfied with distorted texture (NOT ME) and if not we are right back to the problem that multiple sizes will be needed to avoid this i.e. standard sizes that are not really standard but some designers view of what my avatar should look like.

09142011 wrote:

I noticed
that most of the mesh clothes
I'm trying on are following the trend of having hips so wide, it looks like they were stretched out by some gross forced torture, probably to fit the avatars with hips that look like that. I never understood what all that is about. Can someone please explain to me the reason women want their avatars to look like a pear with legs??? What's the attraction with that? It's kind of annoying now that mesh designers see this as the norm and those of us who like to keep things realistic have to deal mesh that wont hug hips that are in proportion with the rest of our body.

Most? Really? I have seen it, it's a fashion-stream/trend or how you call it, but MOST? Nah, I don't have that experience at all.

There are so many designers now, that sell mesh and I, for one, think it is good they cater to different trends/fashions. I am convinced, and I seriously shop A LOT, the majority of mesh clothing for females is still pretty 'realistic' .

Yes i will agree with you, a lot of mesh clothes do appear realistic, in fact most look like they could be from a major department store catalogue in RL,

But i find most females don't want to dress like that in SL, it's very conservative looking, look at the many females in SL who love to dress neko,and have a tail, in clubs, scantily clad girls.

Sl is a fantasy world where you can leave RL behind and be anything you desire, dress in ways you never would in RL, act out fantasies

I'm with you 100% about the adjustment thing. I will never change my shape to fit clothes. I do like mesh, but that's going too far. I did alot of work on my body (I work out 3 times a week lol).

just an FYI though, if you like Pheonix, the newest version of Firestorm supports mesh :)

i wouldn't say most of the mesh i've tried has followed the massive hips trend but the sizings seem quite small in places even on the largest sizes i have a slim looking av no extreme proportions except on height maybe and no mesh i've tried except for the sweater/dungarees combo group gift from *COCO* has fitted perfectly with no skin or other clothing parts poking through. i was hoping the mesh deformer when it comes out would work with existing mesh but seeing that it doesn't is a bit disappointing there's some great mesh out there and i refuse to change my shape to fit something that doesn't fit me 

I had the lastest phoenix when it first came out but i found too many times it is a poor rezzer.

Many times i would tele to my shop and half was missing,and did.nt eventually rez either,so i went back to the previous version 1185, i find it to be a better rezzer. ( i tried the new version a couple of times ,but found the same thing happening)

I have firestorm ,but i prefer phoenix.

I don't see enough mesh that i really need to bother with a mesh viewer

I have seen only a very small amount of mesh clothing with the butt that requires its own zip code look.

Most of it is much more proper fitting to a shape that is humanly possible. Much of that also quite sensual.

You only need to look through the last few months of my flickr or feed to see plenty of mesh outfits that can fit a normal shape.

I've not seen as much "$5 Skank Ho" wear in mesh - because while its easy to paint that onto a texture, modelling it in 3D around the form just shows how horrid of a look it really is.

I still see a -LOT- of people in SL on the $5 skank ho look, and most of them are doing with old 'body paint' clothing.

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

i wouldn't say most of the mesh i've tried has followed the massive hips trend but the sizings seem quite small in places even on the largest sizes i have a slim looking av no extreme proportions except on height

Mesh clothes are independant of scale - height and body width can be set from 1 to 100 and the mesh item will scale to fit.

They are dependant on proportion - things like bust-waist-hips: the shape for these needs to match the mesh or you get pop through. That said, for bust at least this should be a non-concern if moderately smaller than the shape's bust: that's what clothes will do, squish in your boobs a bit. Waist and hips though are where you're going to need to find a 'close' fit you can deal with if possible.

Oh yes.  Maitreya has very nice mesh clothes.  I tried jeans and leggings demos there.  The leggings are great.  The bum and the crotch are perfectly made, hiding the avatar's horrendous crotch.  When walking in those the bum moves more naturally as there are more vertices in the leggings than in the avatar's mesh.  Starts to have a likeness with RL.  Just great!  :matte-motes-big-grin:

leggings.jpg

This entire thread is why I will not wear mesh clothes. My shape represents my rl body type and finding any mesh clothes that fit my petite body is nearly impossible. All the mesh tops and dresses I've tried leave this horrible gap between my size 30 breasts and the top. I'll stick to mesh feet and accessories rather than clothes.

• 4 weeks later...

What I'd like to know is....why do women do that anyways?! I mean yeah just a little bit of hip and ass is fine....but i keep seeing some that look like they'd either get stuck in the doorway or use their own asses as dinner tables. I've seen too many women do it without wearing a single mesh item. Its not sexy. Its just nasty.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.