I searched everywhere...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have 3 issues that perhaps some can help me with...

1) My avatar is half pink.

2) I can't rez objects in my little Linden home.

3) My inventory is missing.

I enjoy helping, but Is this as good as it gets? Is the Lithium software so poorly designed that it does not allow people to help themselves, or is it the ignorance of the user?  

Storm Clarence wrote:

I enjoy helping, but Is this as good as it gets? Is the Lithium software so poorly designed that it does not allow people to help themselves, or is it the ignorance of the user?  

I'm with you on this. 

What puzzles me most is when a new thread pops up on a problem that there are already active threads going on, for instance the pink issues.

There must be a thousand "SL (or the viewer) keeps crashing on me" threads.

Some of it is that people simply don't take the time to even look.  Plain laziness.

As far as search in the Forum goes, I honestly don't  think I've ever seen any Forum with what I would consider a user friendly search function.

At one time I tried starting a thread to collate frequently asked questions in the Forum but it kind of went no where.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Frequently-Asked-Questions-And-Official-Resources-A-Survey/m-p/1372395#M49800

Sometimes instead of re-answering a question I just post the link to the already active threads.

One thing I will say is that it still feels like there are too many sub categories but we did work hard to minimize  the number and keep them relevant.

Perrie Juran wrote:

What puzzles me most is when a new thread pops up on a problem that there are already active threads going on, for instance the pink issues.

Some of it is that people simply don't take the time to even look.  Plain laziness.

As far as search in the Forum goes, I honestly don't  think I've ever seen any Forum with what I would consider a user friendly search function.

I entered 'pink torso' in the search box and it returned 19 threads (or to put it a lttle more plainly: 19 answers.)

the nice thing about the old forums like RA was they had really good stickies..every section of the old forums had really good stickies that saved on threads..

they started to do that here..but it was like eating up the whole first page..because rather than putting them in one thread or a few threads it was one question per thread..rather than the top 20 things residents should know or want to know ..

here are the stickies from back then..pretty useful and saved  alot of threads..most times if it was in the stickies residents answering would just say  to check out the stickies..then the thread would fade..

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/1.html

Apparently there is a bug in the Linden Home system that makes the system think you are trying to rez on property that does not belong to you.   

A suggested work-around is to try to rez in the exact center of the property.  It may take several tries, but if you find a place that will allow you to rez, you can use it repeatedly and move the objects to where you want them.

Also

• Be sure you are wearing the right group tag
  • Wait a bit before you try to rez

For more information on the bug: 

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7902?

I will post this information on my blog.  It appears to be a common problem.

TKR

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

For more information on the bug: 

I will post this information on my blog.  It appears to be a common problem.

Thinkerer, thank you for your reply.  It is not only a common problem, it is a common question asked by many people.  I would think LL would post it on their blog, too!  But, even if LL did, I am sure some will skip right over it and post their issue to answers.  I am trying to figure out which is the sadder of the two.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ceka, yes they should have stickies on the answers forum - regardless of how much space it takes up.  

I did click the link, but I was hesitant (I thought you were going to have some fun at my expense, again.) 

LOL i wait months before i try to roll someone..this way it's never expected..

if i did that all the time it wouldn't be any fun hehehe

plus it says where it is in the link.. silly wabbit *winks*

At least once every 2-3 weeks I get an inworld IM from someone who saw me provide an answer for solving the 'I cannot rez' issue months and months ago.  They want the 'magic folder'.  I have to tell them that the folder is already resident in their Library (just pick an avatar and 'replace').

Storm Clarence wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I entered 'pink torso' in the search box and it returned 19 threads (or to put it a lttle more plainly: 19 answers.)

Most of the time I do get very good search results like that.

What was more on my mind here is when I am searching for a specific thread or comment I remember.  There have been a couple of things recently I was not able to run down.  But nothing earth shattering.

ETA, I'm also lumping the JIRA's in on this in my brain.  But they really are a whole different animal.

Storm Clarence wrote:

It's half and half. I mean, the software still stinks - we need a reply button, and stickies for sure, and look how even well-experienced Thinkerer jumped in with his well-meaning (!) response without seeming to get the tone of the thread so far.

I think when you've got an issue, and it seems pretty massive to a newbie, such as not being able to rez, or avatar looking weird, or missing inventory (which is huge to anyone), they may go into a slight panic mode and become unable to see the wood for the trees, so start a new question.  Also, I think it's pretty easy to type in your question and hit 'enter' before even realising there are already some suggestions up on the screen.

Anyway, hopefully the avatar half pink, glass half empty problem will be fixed in this week's deploys.

Storm Clarence wrote:

So does this (but it has to be read closely)

It does appear that this is now being adressed:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2012-06-11/td-p/1567063

Second Life RC Magnum

This will once again be a maint-server channel. There is just a fix for this bug: 

• Bug Fixes
    • SVC-7902: Problem of not being able to rez on my land continues

(Not targetted at you Marigold, is a general thread response.)

IMO, any help system that requires 'searching' is out of date. Any help system that requires typing in your question and hoping for a response from a real person, doubly so.

Any process more complicated than

"The viewer has detected your shape isn't loaded yet, please click >HERE< to retry."

will not be followed [with consistant success] by a majority of users.

It's awesome that SL still attracts people that will TRY to find answers despite the apparent lack of them, and even more awesome that SLer's want to help find those answers for other people. But neither approach is acceptable long term or for great success.

Editted to fix my own silliness.

Not directed especially at you, Freya, but to everyone (but you do make good points)

Why did the beta testing of the Helper Island sims fail? It seemed like a great idea. Did all the Helpers have nervous breakdowns from having to answer the same questions over and over again? 

It was great to be able to click on a help button inworld and have the option to be able to teleport across to avatars who were there to help, and it would have been useful to have developed the Helper Island sims more by having up-to-date noticeboards on with solutions to these more common problems so the people with the problems inworld could get help inworld.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Rather than stickies, there should be a
troubleshooting guide
like on the
site.

Of course, LL would have to maintain it...

I am sure some of the helpers and contributors would not balk at the opportunity to maintain a guide.  This should be one of the 'privileges' that comes with helper/contributor status.  

It seems to me that rather than having pages filled with stickies answering all the common problems posted here.. it would be more useful to have one sticky (possibly in each subforum) explaining how to use the forums. How to use the search feature and the answers section.

UncommonTruth wrote:

It seems to me that rather than having pages filled with stickies answering all the common problems posted here.. it would be more useful to have one sticky (possibly in each subforum) explaining how to use the forums. How to use the search feature and the answers section.

The stickies to which I am referring would not be on the FORUMS (as delineated by TABS above.)  These stickies would be on the ANSWERS section.   As far as I am concerned, anything goes in the FORUMS (that's the fun.)  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Rather than stickies, there should be a
troubleshooting guide
like on the
site.

Of course, LL would have to maintain it...

I am sure some of the helpers and contributors would not balk at the opportunity to maintain a guide.  This should be one of the 'privileges' that comes with helper/contributor status.  

Helpers and Contributors can start new and edit draft KB articles, and Helpers can edit published ones (neither can publish new or with changes). Unfortunately, I don't think anybody at LL is maintaining the KB at this point. There are 22 Forum posts nominated (I won't comment on the judgement used in some of the nominations...) and 1 approved (which I cannot see? "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested."), so I fear that any draft articles would just sit there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.