Sign in to follow this  
Lymirah Gardner

Appearing and Disappearing Objects/Linksets on Chat Command

This was probably the first moderately complicated script I wrote.  It stems from my burlesque performances and my desire to demystify some of the scripting abilities for other performers.  In other words, I wanted to give them a powerful, somewhat easy-to-use script that might enable them to achieve effects they could not otherwise realize without a deeper (or any) knowledge of LSL.  I have no idea if it was successful with this goal, but I do want to share it with others.

The script toggles appearance (hide/show) of object1 with a command on a so-called "common" channel.  Enables control of multiple such objects on a single channel.  Commands are not case-sensitive.  Initial state of object1 (hidden/shown) set by global variable.  Enables fading in/out of object1. Assumes even change of alpha setting over the duration.  Can have different fade in/fade out speeds.  Chat commands entered during (in the middle of) a fade in or fade out will not be acted on.  Can use a single command to toggle multiple objects/linksets (each having their own version of the script), such as fading out object1 while fading in object2.  Everything is controlled/set via global variables.

The script is purposefully written to be a bit bloated (bound checking, redundancy on achieving the desired alpha, etc.).  Remember - it was written for the non-scripter and for use in a temporary setting (a burlesque performance.  If using this as a scripter, I encourage you to modify it and remove some of the bloat - it should be recognizable (the user function "checkgvar()" is pure bound-checking; the user-function "setcvar()" can be reduced to eliminate the bound-checking; better yet the entire script can be tailored to the specific use, removing unused parts).

The biggest extensible point for this script is to enable per-link number control so that it can operate within a linkset by fading in/out only parts of the linkset.  While I've put together such a version for my personal use, I decided only to release the simple-user version below.  A scripter should be able to tailor this to per-link number control.  If you want any assistance with this, hit me up in SL (notecard if offline, IM if online) or send me a private message (and hope I remember to sign in soon and see it).

I've tested the script for the identified functionality and it appears to work correctly.  (Believe me, I tried to troubleshoot this sucker as best I could.)  If anyone has any recommendations, either for the existing code or additional features, please let me know!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Object Appearance Script by Lymirah Gardner, Version 1.2b, 12 March 2012
// Channel Commands for Having an Object/Linkset Appear and/or Disappear
//
//<----------------------- STRETCH YOUR WINDOW THIS WIDE FOR EASY READING ------------------------>//
//
// Script for object1/linkset1 (referred to herein as "object1").
// Works for a single object or an entire linkset.
//
// Toggles appearance (hide/show) of object1 with a command on a so-called "common" channel.
// Enables control of multiple such objects on a single channel.  Commands are not case-sensitive.
// Initial state of object1 (hidden/shown) set by global variable.
// Enables fading in/out of object1.  Assumes even change of alpha setting over the duration.
// Can have different fade in/fade out speeds.
// Chat commands entered during (in the middle of) a fade in or fade out will not be acted on.
//
// Currently set up only for owner control.
// Extensible to per-link item (e.g., per-prim) control.
//
// OPERATION:
//
//     Type this in local:    To do this:                                       Example:
//     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//     /CHANNEL commhide      Hide object 1 while it is shown.                  /42 object2
//     /CHANNEL commshow      Show object 1 while it is hidden.                 /42 object1
//     /CHANNEL commreset     Reset script while object1 is hidden or shown.    /42 reset
//
// FIRST EXAMPLE WITH TWO OBJECTS:
//
// Set object1 to show at the start, hide with command "object2" and show with command "object1".
// Set object2 to hide at the start, show with command "object2" and hide with command "object1".
// At start, object1 is shown and object2 is hidden.
// When you type "/42 object2" in local chat, object1 will hide and object2 will show.
// When you type "/42 object1" in local chat, object1 will show and object2 will hide.
// When you type "/42 reset" in local chat, both will revert to their initial states.
//
// SECOND EXAMPLE WITH TWO OBJECTS:
//
// Assume you changed the first example above such that object2 does not hide again.
//     This is accomplished by changing a variable (HIDEOBJ_ON = 0) in the script for object2.
//     The script for object1 remains the same since its operation is the exact same.
// When you type "/42 object2" in local chat, object1 will hide and object2 will show.
// When you type "/42 object1" in local chat, object1 will show.  Object2 will remain showing.
//     (This command now has no effect on the state of object2 – whether it is shown or hidden.)
// When you type "/42 reset" in local chat, both will revert to their initial states.
//
// Note that in all of the above examples, the commands will only have an effect if the respective
// object is in the opposite state.  That is, the command to hide object1 will have no effect on
// object1 if object1 is already hidden when the command is given.
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Please feel free to share this script.  It's meant for anyone and everyone!  All I ask is that
// you don't sell the script on its own or as part of any package, objects or products.  It's
// provided for free - please keep it that way!  Please also keep this title box.
//

//                                      GLOBAL VARIABLES

//***Main Controls***

integer CHANNEL = 42;               //set listen channel number:  CHANNEL > 0
integer HIDE_START = 0;             //toggles whether object1 is shown or hidden at start:
                                    //0 = shown, 1 = hidden
string commreset = "reset";         //chat command to reset script

//***Show Object Attributes***

integer SHOWOBJ_ON = 1;             //toggles whether object is shown on command: 0 = off, 1 = on
string commshow = "object2";        //chat command to show object1
integer FADEIN_ON = 0;              //toggles fading of object on show: 0 = off, 1 = on
integer FADEIN_SPD = 1;             //speed of fade in: 0 = custom, 1 = slow, 2 = medium, 3 = fast
                                    //slow:    10 steps over 5 seconds
                                    //medium:   6 steps over 3 seconds
                                    //fast:     5 steps over 1 second

//***Hide Object Attributes***

integer HIDEOBJ_ON = 1;             //toggles whether object is hidden on command: 0 = off, 1 = on
string commhide = "object1";        //chat command to hide object1
integer FADEOUT_ON = 0;             //toggles fading of object on hide: 0 = off, 1 = on
integer FADEOUT_SPD = 1;            //speed of fade out: 0 = custom, 1 = slow, 2 = medium, 3 = fast
                                    //slow:    10 steps over 5 seconds
                                    //medium:   6 steps over 3 seconds
                                    //fast:     5 steps over 1 second

//                                        CUSTOM FADING

//***Change these variables if custom fade in is used.***

float SHOW_CALPHA = 1.0;            //alpha of object when shown: 1.0 = normal/fully shown
                                    //0.0 < SHOW_CALPHA <= 1.0 and HIDE_CALPHA < SHOW_CALPHA
integer FADEIN_CSTEPS = 20;         //custom fade in: number of steps/increments
                                    //FADEIN_CTEPS >= 1
float FADEIN_CTIME = 10.0;          //custom fade in: time for fade (in seconds)
                                    //FADEIN_CTIME >= 1.0

//***Change these variables if custom fade out is used.***

float HIDE_CALPHA = 0.0;            //alpha of object when hidden: 0.0 = normal/fully hidden
                                    //0.0 <= HIDE_CALPHA < 1.0 and HIDE_CALPHA < SHOW_CALPHA
integer FADEOUT_CSTEPS = 20;        //custom fade out: number of steps/increments
                                    //FADEOUT_CTEPS >= 1
float FADEOUT_CTIME = 10.0;         //custom fade out: time for fade (in seconds)
                                    //FADEOUT_CTIME >= 1.0

//For custom alpha settings, set both custom alphas (SHOW_CALPHA and HIDE_CALPHA)
//even if only using one of custom fade in or custom fade out.

//Even if only using one of custom fade in or custom fade out, alpha settings are pulled
//from both custom alpha settings (SHOW_CALPHA and HIDE_CALPHA).

//               DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

//***Other Variables***
key owner;                          //tracks current owner
integer LISTEN_ID;                  //enables release of listens
integer INIT_RUN = 0;               //tracks how many times init() has run
integer MAX_INIT = 2;               //sets max number of times init() can run (default 2)
integer bug = 0;                    //triggers bugged state from a user-defined function
integer OBJSHOW;                    //tracks if object is shown (1) or hidden (0)
                                    //only used for default state, remains for debugging if needed
float SHOW_ALPHA = 1.0;             //default show alpha setting (1.0)
float HIDE_ALPHA = 0.0;             //default hide alpha setting (0.0)
integer FADEIN_STEPS;               //number of fade in increments
float FADEIN_TIME;                  //fade in time increment, NOT overall time
float FADEIN_ALPHA;                 //fade in alpha increment, NOT overall alpha
integer FADEOUT_STEPS;              //number of fade out increments
float FADEOUT_TIME;                 //fade out time increment, NOT overall time
float FADEOUT_ALPHA;                //fade out alpha increment, NOT overall alpha

// LEARNING LESSON NOTE:  I had to redo the trigger (event) in the default state to accommodate
// ownership change.  This entailed redoing the architecture of the whole state-based system.
// Initially I had the default state just proceeding to the correct state, with chat commands in
// each state triggering object alpha change directly.  Instead, now object alpha change occurs at
// state entry and chat commands subsequently trigger state change.  This enables a listen event in
// default state to trigger initial state change after ownership update.

// SECOND NOTE:  This kind of architecture is probably due to the nature of the script.  Most
// public scripts (e.g., chairs) respond to the user, not the owner per se.  In addition, I'm using
// chat commands as triggers instead of something firmer like a touch event.

//***USER-DEFINED FUNCTIONS***
checkgvar() {                       //checks global variables for compliance with bounds
    if(CHANNEL<=0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  CHANNEL <= 0  (Error UD-CV01)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    integer CHECK = 0;
    if(HIDE_START == 0) CHECK = 1;
    else if(HIDE_START == 1) CHECK = 1;
    if(CHECK == 0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  HIDE_START != 0 or 1  (Error UD-CV02)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    CHECK = 0;
    if(SHOWOBJ_ON == 0) CHECK = 1;
    else if(SHOWOBJ_ON == 1) CHECK = 1;
    if(CHECK == 0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  SHOWOBJ_ON != 0 or 1  (Error UD-CV03)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    CHECK = 0;
    if(FADEIN_ON == 0) CHECK = 1;
    else if(FADEIN_ON == 1) CHECK = 1;
    if(CHECK == 0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEIN_ON != 0 or 1  (Error UD-CV04)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    CHECK = 0;
    if(HIDEOBJ_ON == 0) CHECK = 1;
    else if(HIDEOBJ_ON == 1) CHECK = 1;
    if(CHECK == 0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  HIDEOBJ_ON != 0 or 1  (Error UD-CV05)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    CHECK = 0;
    if(FADEOUT_ON == 0) CHECK = 1;
    else if(FADEOUT_ON == 1) CHECK = 1;
    if(CHECK == 0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEOUT_ON != 0 or 1  (Error UD-CV06)***");
        bug=1;
    }
}

setcvar() {                         //checks & sets custom variables if either custom is in use
    if(SHOW_CALPHA>1.0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  SHOW_CALPHA > 1.0  (Error UD-SV01)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    else if(SHOW_CALPHA<=0.0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  SHOW_CALPHA <= 0.0  (Error UD-SV02)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    else if(HIDE_CALPHA<0.0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  HIDE_CALPHA < 0.0  (Error UD-SV03)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    else if(HIDE_CALPHA>=1.0) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  HIDE_CALPHA >= 1.0  (Error UD-SV04)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    else if(SHOW_CALPHA<=HIDE_CALPHA) {
        llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  SHOW_CALPHA <= HIDE_CALPHA  (Error UD-SV05)***");
        bug=1;
    }
    if(FADEIN_ON == 1 && bug == 0) {
        if(FADEIN_SPD == 0) {
            if(FADEIN_CSTEPS<1) {
                llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEIN_CSTEPS < 1  (Error UD-SV06)***");
                bug=1;
            }
            else if(FADEIN_CTIME<1.0) {
                llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEIN_CTIME < 1.0  (Error UD-SV07)***");
                bug=1;
            }
            if(bug == 0) {
                SHOW_ALPHA = SHOW_CALPHA;
                HIDE_ALPHA = HIDE_CALPHA;
                FADEIN_STEPS = FADEIN_CSTEPS;
                FADEIN_ALPHA = (SHOW_CALPHA-HIDE_CALPHA) / (float)FADEIN_CSTEPS;
                FADEIN_TIME = FADEIN_CTIME / (float)FADEIN_CSTEPS;
            }
        }
        else if(FADEIN_SPD == 1) {  //10 steps over 5 seconds, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEIN_STEPS = 10;       // = given
            FADEIN_ALPHA = 0.1;     // = delta-alpha / steps = 1.0 / steps
            FADEIN_TIME = 0.5;      // = total-time / steps
        }
        else if(FADEIN_SPD == 2) {  //6 steps over 3 seconds, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEIN_STEPS = 6;
            FADEIN_ALPHA = 0.2;
            FADEIN_TIME = 0.5;
        }
        else if(FADEIN_SPD == 3) {  //5 steps over 1 second, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEIN_STEPS = 5;
            FADEIN_ALPHA = 0.2;
            FADEIN_TIME = 0.2;
        }
        else {
            llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEIN_SPD != 0,1,2,3  (Error UD-SV08)***");
            bug=1;
        }
    }
    if(FADEOUT_ON == 1 && bug == 0) {
        if(FADEOUT_SPD == 0) {
            if(FADEOUT_CSTEPS<1) {
                llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEOUT_CSTEPS < 1  (Error UD-SV9)***");
                bug=1;
            }
            else if(FADEOUT_CTIME<1.0) {
                llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEOUT_CTIME < 1.0  (Error UD-SV10)***");
                bug=1;
            }
            if(bug == 0) {
                SHOW_ALPHA = SHOW_CALPHA;
                HIDE_ALPHA = HIDE_CALPHA;
                FADEOUT_STEPS = FADEOUT_CSTEPS;
                FADEOUT_ALPHA = (SHOW_CALPHA-HIDE_CALPHA) / (float)FADEOUT_CSTEPS;
                FADEOUT_TIME = FADEOUT_CTIME / (float)FADEOUT_CSTEPS;
            }
        }
        else if(FADEOUT_SPD == 1) {  //10 steps over 5 seconds, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEOUT_STEPS = 10;
            FADEOUT_ALPHA = 0.1;
            FADEOUT_TIME = 0.5;
        }
        else if(FADEOUT_SPD == 2) {  //6 steps over 3 seconds, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEOUT_STEPS = 6;
            FADEOUT_ALPHA = 0.2;
            FADEOUT_TIME = 0.5;
        }
        else if(FADEOUT_SPD == 3) {  //5 steps over 1 second, assumes normal alphas for show/hide
            FADEOUT_STEPS = 5;
            FADEOUT_ALPHA = 0.2;
            FADEOUT_TIME = 0.2;
        }
        else {
            llOwnerSay("***Bad value!  FADEOUT_SPD != 0,1,2,3  (Error UD-SV11)***");
            bug=1;
        }
    }
}

init() {                            //ensures proper ownership update on change
    if(INIT_RUN < MAX_INIT) {       //prevents this from running more than MAX_INIT times
        owner = llGetOwner();
        llListenRemove(LISTEN_ID);
        LISTEN_ID = llListen(CHANNEL,"",owner,"");
        ++INIT_RUN;
    }
}

//***START HERE: DEFAULT STATE RUNS ONCE ON OBJECT REZ OR SCRIPT RESET***
default {
    state_entry() {
        string temp = llStringTrim(commshow,STRING_TRIM);
        commshow = llToUpper(temp);                        //trim and capitalize commshow
        temp = llStringTrim(commhide,STRING_TRIM);
        commhide = llToUpper(temp);                        //trim and capitalize commhide
        temp = llStringTrim(commreset,STRING_TRIM);
        commreset = llToUpper(temp);                       //trim and capitalize commreset
        checkgvar();                                       //check g variables for compliance
        if(bug == 1) {                                     //trigger bug if checkgvar() fails
            state bugged;
        }
        if(FADEIN_ON == 1 || FADEOUT_ON == 1) setcvar();   //check & set c variables if any fading
        if(bug == 1) {                                     //trigger bug if check in setcvar() fails
            state bugged;
        }
        if(HIDE_START == 1) {                              //set correct start based on HIDE_START
            llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 0;
        }
        else {
            llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 1;
        }
        init();
    }
    on_rez(integer start_param) {
        init();
    }
    changed(integer change) {
        if(change & CHANGED_OWNER) {
            init();
        }
    }
    listen (integer channel, string name, key id, string command) {
        string temp = llStringTrim(command,STRING_TRIM);
        command = llToUpper(temp);
        if(command == commshow && OBJSHOW == 0) {
            state showme;
        }
        else if(command == commhide && OBJSHOW == 1) {
            state hideme;
        }
        else if(command == commreset) {
            llResetScript();
        }
    }
}

//***WHEN OBJECT IS TO BE SHOWN***
state showme {
    state_entry() {
        if(FADEIN_ON == 0) {
            llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 1;
        }
        else {
            integer i;
            float ALPHA_TEMP;
            integer ONCERUN = 0;
            for(i=1;i<=FADEIN_STEPS;++i) {
                ALPHA_TEMP = (float)i * FADEIN_ALPHA;
                if(ALPHA_TEMP<=1.0 && ALPHA_TEMP>0.0) {
                    if(i==1) ONCERUN = 1;
                    llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, ALPHA_TEMP, ALL_SIDES);
                    llSleep(FADEIN_TIME);
                }
            }
            if(ALPHA_TEMP <= 0.0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            else if(ALPHA_TEMP > 1.0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            if(ALPHA_TEMP != SHOW_ALPHA) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            if(ONCERUN == 0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, SHOW_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 1;
        }
        LISTEN_ID = llListen(CHANNEL, "", owner, "");
    }
        if(command == commhide && HIDEOBJ_ON == 1) {
            state hideme;
        }
        else if(command == commreset) {
            llResetScript();
        }
    }
}

//***WHEN OBJECT IS TO BE HIDDEN***
state hideme {
    state_entry() {
        if(FADEOUT_ON == 0) {
            llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 0;
        }
        else {
            integer i;
            float ALPHA_TEMP;
            integer ONCERUN = 0;
            for(i=FADEOUT_STEPS;i>0;--i) {
                ALPHA_TEMP = ((float)i - 1.0) * FADEOUT_ALPHA;
                if(ALPHA_TEMP>=0.0 && ALPHA_TEMP<1.0) {
                    if(i==FADEOUT_STEPS) ONCERUN = 1;
                    llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, ALPHA_TEMP, ALL_SIDES);
                    llSleep(FADEOUT_TIME);
                }
            }
            if(ALPHA_TEMP < 0.0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            else if(ALPHA_TEMP >= 1.0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            if(ALPHA_TEMP != HIDE_ALPHA) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            if(ONCERUN == 0) llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, HIDE_ALPHA, ALL_SIDES);
            OBJSHOW = 0;
        }
        LISTEN_ID = llListen(CHANNEL, "", owner, "");
    }
        if(command == commshow && SHOWOBJ_ON == 1) {
            state showme;
        }