Cannot login...

addy2k11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am still relatively new to Second Life (I joined last October) and I have had no problems logging in until today.

Yesterday my laptop had a few problems so I had to restore the factory settings, I got round to reinstalling the Second Life viewer about 10 minutes ago and have been unable to login.

When I try it says "Login failed. Despite out best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong." It then asks me to check to see if there is a problem with the service, as far as I can see everything seems to be working fine. So the only thing left is my firewall but I do not know how to make changes to that and when I look at the list of allowed and unallowed programs Second Life is not there. The uninstall Second Life program is so I added that to the allowed programs but still no joy.

What could be happening and where could I be going wrong?

I didn't need to change any settings when I installed the viewer and set up my account last October. I just logged in straight away and it worked first time! 

LL is gonna send one of the shills to tell you this is your connection or outdated equpiment like they have several others this week.

I am however convinced even more so now it is an LL issue of which they wish to cover up for what ever reason cause they have no clue how to fix it yet.

The technical term for Iam is wackadoole...

The first thing to test is your connection. I have been logging in and out between AGNI and ADITI all day and not having a problem. Run these tests and figure out if it is you, SL or one of the ISP's inbetween that has a problem. If it is not a connection issue you can move on to other tests.

Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

I Can’t Login - This covers some oddball SL problems like ghost avatars and how to do your own ghost busting.

There are a number of reasons one cannot login. We’ll start with the easy things first.

Check the Grid Status and make sure it is not an SL outage. http://status.secondlifegrid.net/.

Some group tag used to have characters from the extended character set. The viewer seemed to have a problem with them. You can look at your groups in my.secondlife.com. If you have a group with strange characters in the group tag, leave the group or contact the group owner and ask them to remove the extended characters.

Here in Britain, with schools on holiday this week, the internet has been very busy all the time. It doesn't help, but it is nothing to do with Linden Labs.

There's a lot that is nothing to do with Linden Labs, unless you want to claim they made some very bad design choices when they started writing the code, a decade ago. That claim might even be true, but hindsight is such a wonderful planning tool,

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I have tried some of suggested remedies but they didn't work, I got exactly the same result :(

To make matters worse my internet connection went down this morning so I am having to use an internet cafe to try and sort this problem out until I get back online at home. Of course I cannot access second life viewer from there.

I am in England so it will take me a while to reply as most of the replies will come during the middle of the night, we are 8 hours ahead of the server time.

I am convinced the problem is with my laptop as not long before the internet went down I dug my older, slower laptop out and tried installing second life viewer on that. It installed it and I could login on it but it was unbearably slow. My avatar did not appear despite me being online for 10 minutes (all I got was the white egg shape - the head) and the buildings were the same :(

Movement was fluid and the music/radio could be heard without any skipping or jumping. I viewed my friend list and depsite waiting for a few minutes it still hadn't loaded it, I only have four friends so it shouldn't have taken that long. It took about 20 seconds or so for my profile to pop up and I could blow the profile picture up after about 10 seconds. so although I could do most things it is not ideal for exploring.

If there is something messed up with the graphics that could solve this problem I would be interested in hearing them. As for my newer laptop that has been installing updates all morning so I am hoping that once it has updated fully I will be able to use second life again.

addy2k11 wrote:

If there is something messed up with the graphics that could solve this problem I would be interested in hearing them. As for my newer laptop that has been installing updates all morning so I am hoping that once it has updated fully I will be able to use second life again.

After you launch the viewer go to help/about and post the info here.  You DON'T have to be logged in to get that.  Otherwise you are just asking us to spit in the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but I would like to thank you all for your help, it seems to be working fine, albeit a little slower than usual but I have experienced the odd slow down in SL speeds during my time on SL so it is no big deal. I know it is a while since I posted last, it has taken me a long time to get the internet back and then I had a multitude of e-mails waiting for me.

I don't know what the 'trigger' was, I just uninstalled it and then re-installed it again and it worked first time. I thought the problem was with my laptop but now it has worked I am not so sure but the important thing is it works and there is no point going over questions that cannot be answered. I am afraid none of the suggestions actually did work (or more likely I was not following them correctly) but you still invested time in reading my post/s and invested further time by answering my questions and it is fantastic people like you that make this forum a fantastic place for newbies like me.

Thank you again, I think we can consider this thread closed :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.