I want to hide my log in name!

eliasstott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to hide my log in name but that feture isn't allowed yet, and that is a HUGE security risk. Right now we have every one's log in name at our finger tips, all we need is their password! Like I said HUGE security risk! Keep the display name's they are fun, but at least give us a way to ether mask our log in name, or compleatly hide it... I can't even spell and I still think that showing our display name is a dumb Idea! I love second life don't get me wrong, but come on, not being able to hide the log in name is the BIGGEST FLAW this game/world has. Do yourself a favor LIndin, and fix it ASAP!

Our userids are our avatar names.  They cannot be changed.  If you have created a strong password, it is unlikely to be guessed.  Do not share your password with anyone and you will be safe.

I have been in SL over five years and have never had a problem.

pal.jpg

Baloo Uriza wrote:

That's not a huge security risk, especially if you use
and don't use the same password on multiple sites.
is great for keeping track of your passwords.

Does that app include a password generator? I didn't notice a mention of it in the review.

I use Password Agent Lite.  http://www.moonsoftware.com/pwagent.asp

It includes a random password generator and I can tell it how complicated / long  want the password to be.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

It doesn't, but it is open source, so it's not like one couldn't be added.  Not sure the one you referenced is such a hot idea mostly because you're trusting everything to a mystery box (and paying for it if you go with the paid version).

I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "mystery box?" Unless you are meaning you can't see the source code?

While I don't really speak in defense of any company Moonsoft has been in business a long time and I have never heard of a complaint about them.

Generally, before downloading any new application I do a search for reviews of them. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "mystery box?" Unless you are meaning you can't see the source code?

While I don't really speak in defense of any company Moonsoft has been in business a long time and I have never heard of a complaint about them.

Generally, before downloading any new application I do a search for reviews of them. 

Still, peer review is a good thing, and unfortunately, proprietary software just doesn't have that.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Still, peer review is a good thing, and unfortunately, proprietary software just doesn't have that.

You do still get user review.  http://download.cnet.com/Password-Agent-Lite/3000-2092_4-10164259.html

Cnet is not the only place I check. 

But on a whole if someone considers proprietary software not safe, that is an individual choice.

I am curious though, If SL had not become open source shortly before you started would you have signed up? Up until then it was no doubt "proprietary." 

http://news.cnet.com/Second-Life-software-becomes-open-source/2100-7344_3-6148148.html

Sure, you're getting peer review, in roughly the same way that Extenz and whatever faked pill spammers are pitching over the internet this week is getting peer review.  What you're not getting with proprietary software is real peer review on par with what the FDA puts stuff you put in your body through.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Sure, you're getting peer review, in roughly the same way that Extenz and whatever faked pill spammers are pitching over the internet this week is getting peer review.  What you're not getting with proprietary software is real peer review on par with what the FDA puts stuff you put in your body through.

So in other words whether it is open source or proprietary, we are dealing with consumer beware.

After all, pharmaceuticals get recalled all the time. 

And also, have you ever read the disclaimer (contraindications) that come with some medications.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Still better than the alternative, which is no oversight at all.  Or, basically the same thing as what proprietary software has going for it.

Actually there is a lot of oversight.  Cnet, PCWorld, PC Mag respond to reports of Mal Ware on their download pages and do remove programs found to be a problem.  Also your Anti Virus vendors will 'black list' any program that is found to be Mal Ware.  Shall we go on?

But really to get to the point here, you've got a lot of nerve to 'bad mouth' both a company and an application that has been around for over ten years with the broad brush stroke "it must be bad because it's proprietary." Especially with out not a single shred of evidence that there is a problem.

Not all of us are afraid to come out of our caves.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Still better than the alternative, which is no oversight at all.  Or, basically the same thing as what proprietary software has going for it.

Actually there is a lot of oversight.  Cnet, PCWorld, PC Mag respond to reports of Mal Ware on their download pages and do remove programs found to be a problem. 

CNet, PC World, and PC Magazine also won't bother with your software if you don't pay them for a review (in which, good luck getting a bad review out of them unless someone pays more to trash you.

Also your Anti Virus vendors will 'black list' any program that is found to be Mal Ware.  Shall we go on?

It's better to be proactive than depend on a retroactive measure that may or may not have it's own agenda.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Actually there is a lot of oversight.  Cnet, PCWorld, PC Mag respond to reports of Mal Ware on their download pages and do remove programs found to be a problem. 

CNet, PC World, and PC Magazine also won't bother with your software if you don't pay them for a review (in which, good luck getting a
bad
 review out of them unless someone pays more to trash you.

Also your Anti Virus vendors will 'black list' any program that is found to be Mal Ware.  Shall we go on?

It's better to be proactive than depend on a retroactive measure that may or may not have it's own agenda.

I was proactive.  I did a search for any reported problems before downloading.

But let's see, by your logic, have you ever taken an aspirin for a headache?  Or brewed some tea?  Or just thought "I don't feel well, I should go lay down?"

Do you have a medical degree?  If not, why didn't you go see an expert before "self prescribing?"  Do you have any idea the number of fatal things that can cause a headache? 

Gosh, if you'd just come out of the bear cave you'd find there are so many good things to enjoy in life rather than hiding in fear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.