Script Memory/Time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understand the reason for making objects Copy, No Mod, No Transfer, however I believe that LL should fix it so that even if a object is no modify you can at least remove items from the object still like scripts. For example I am wearing some items Boots, and armors I purchased, they take up 768KB script time, It has a delete function but the script doesn't remove all scripts, and I want the ability to remove all scripts from my boots after I have adjusted them, as well as anything else I want.

Total I find that my AO itself takes up around 5mb of script memory, and has way too many scripts, as well as other things like  my armbands for that matter take up way too much script memory 1.3 MB I think it was, and there are a lot of script restriction sims which say your memory has to be under a certain amount, and so does the script usage time.

I understand that 1 or two items with 3mb might not effect a simulator, but I would need detailed statistics about exactly the specs LL's servers hosting each sim is running exactly including Ram speeds, Hard disk RPM, every detail to know for sure, but I believe that while 3MB might not be a lot it would still improve performance a lot across second life if people could remove items from no modify objects such as scripts.

What I mean in general is it would be nice if LL would give us the function to turn off scripts from objects, or remove them if we don't need to be using them to prevent the Extra Loads on their servers, and lets not even talk about teleporting across servers, and if someone actually had 90 avatars in a full region with 8mb script time per avatar, or even in a homestead for that matter lagging other people with homesteads.

I say let people do what they want and manage land the way they please if I want to use 80mb script time on my own sim fine dont restrict it but give us the tools to prevent using too much, and the tools to properly monitor our simulators, and servers such as the load of memory being used on the server by X avatars etc as an Estate Owner/Manager.

It is not up to LL to determine what rights you have to anything you buy here or what you can and cannot due.  Under the TOS, creators retain all the IP rights to what they make and they are the only ones who can decide what permissions you have.  That said, even if it were possible, allowing people to remove things from no mod objects will create a lot of problems since most people have no clue when it is safe to remove a script or if doing so will break an item..

You have a responsibility as a consumer.  If you want to be able to do this. First, you must be willing accept responsibility of knowing if a script can be safely removed or if it breaks the item and if you break it, don't look for a free replacement.  Second, don't buy no mod items OR make sure that there is a true delete all non essential scripts function in them. You can always contact the creator prior to purchase and ask if you aren't sure or even ask for a descripted version, some may be willing to accommodate you.

Hm when I log back into SL I will try the Copy to inventory and see if it works on the items I have which are No Mod, I just want a way to remove all scripts from my no mod objects which in my opinion have too many scripts.

I do know and understand the risk of breaking something and that if it is no copy I would have to buy another copy, I have been trying to delete scripts in everything by right clicking delete scripts using the viewer but it hasn't been working, and the reason it is so laggy is often 70+ scripts in some of my items and 1.5MB script memory but no mod.

I don't want to modify it I just want to remove the scripts I don't mind if it breaks it because I know exactly what functions it will break if I got them removed and have other copies of it.

16 wrote:

if object is mod then can open Contents and delete any scripts you dont want/need

if object is no-mod then can remove by using Copy to Inventory. need to be sure you know exactly what you doing this way. bc you cant put them back if you get it wrong

That does not work if the scripts in the object content are COPY.  You just get a copy of the script in inventory.

Sassy Romano wrote:

16 wrote:

if object is mod then can open Contents and delete any scripts you dont want/need

if object is no-mod then can remove by using Copy to Inventory. need to be sure you know exactly what you doing this way. bc you cant put them back if you get it wrong

That does not work if the scripts in the object content are COPY.  You just get a copy of the script in inventory.

i forgot about that one. sry

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is not up to LL to determine what rights you have to anything you buy here or what you can and cannot due.  Under the TOS, creators retain all the IP rights to what they make and they are the only ones who can decide what permissions you have.  That said, even if it were possible, allowing people to remove things from no mod objects will create a lot of problems since most people have no clue when it is safe to remove a script or if doing so will break an item..

You have a responsibility as a consumer.  If you want to be able to do this. First, you must be willing accept responsibility of knowing if a script can be safely removed or if it breaks the item and if you break it, don't look for a free replacement.  Second, don't buy no mod items OR make sure that there is a true delete all non essential scripts function in them. You can always contact the creator prior to purchase and ask if you aren't sure or even ask for a descripted version, some may be willing to accommodate you.

I think we need to avoid confusing rights and abilities.  I have the right to modify anything that I own, but I don't have the ability if it's no-mod, in which the creator made use of the LL permission system to infringe my right.  Permissions have nothing to do with rights, other than that they are a way of enforcing creators' actual rights, as well as enforcing limitations that go beyond them and infringe purchasers' rights.  

In RL, it goes without saying that if I break things by modifying them when I don't understand how they work, I, not the manufacturer, is responsible.  Same in SL.

Also, sellers can lie.  The reason that I am particularly sensitive about abuse of the no-mod permission is that, after being assured by the seller that a very expensive item was copiable and modifiable, I bought it only to find that almost all prims were no-mod, which interfered greatly with my plans for it.  The seller did not respond to IMs, and I had no recourse.

I think the no-mod limitation for prims should be abolished because there is never a situation in which it can be used to safeguard a legitimate right, and its only use is to prevent consumers' exercise of their rights.  We do fine in RL without such a limitation.

I think the no-mod limitation for prims should be abolished because there is never a situation in which it can be used to safeguard a legitimate right, and its only use is to prevent consumers' exercise of their rights.  We do fine in RL without such a limitation.

As much as I hate most no-mod stuff, there are rare cases where it makes sense. Back when I still sold stuff, I used it a couple of times to constrain the depth of trouble folks could get themselves into, and thereby reduce support load. In these cases, the whole nature of the prim assembly was changed by script--indeed, that was the whole point of the products--and either the things had to be no-mod so the scripts did just the changes they needed, or the scripts would need to be huge so as to undo all the modifications somebody might make (or, theoretically, unimaginably complex to somehow adapt the script's behavior to the user-modified configuration).

Another example is stuff like combat meters, etc., that are intended to be verifiable as "genuine" by virtue of the containing prims being no-mod. That notion of verifiability is generalized to other things, too.

I don't think no-mod is an invalid permission. I just think stupid creators use it for stupid reasons. The depressing thing is that there's something of an epidemic of stupidity that took hold when sculpty creators were infected by the superstition that no-mod protected their sculptmaps some tiny bit, which superstition has spread to (non-rigged) Mesh creators, where it is just laughably lame.

Let's say you have a sculpt tree.  But you want to make it bigger, so as it is mod you edit it and scale it up. Ah, but you didn't set the box to make sure the textures stretch too.  Now you have this horrid misshapen mass that's useless.  And as usual, you blame the creator, even though it's not even remotely his fault that you busted your own stuff by not knowing what you were doing.

And this is why so many of us make stuff No Mod.  Not because we are arrogant toads, but because we don't want customers breaking their purchases and then blaming us for selling "shoddy" products.  I usually keep a Mod version on hand for when people request it, since by my logic someone being able to look me up as the creator and send me an IM has been inworld long enough to know how to edit something without busting it.  I usually give the mod variant on request at no charge for those who bought the no mod ones. 

Most of us just want our customers to be able to rock and roll right out of the box and not be able to break their toys, even accidently.  Because inevitably the customer blames us for breaking their toys.  So most of us make them hard to break; that's all.  And some of us don't mind giving special versions to people who understand that its their own fault if they break it, just because we too sometimes need to have a mod version for special uses when we buy things ourselves.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.