Sign in to follow this  
Medhue Simoni

SL Animation Efficiency

I have noticed over the years that there are some people that don't make animations for efficiency. So, I made a quick video on why you should.

• Like 3

Thanks, but it seems some1 out there doesn't agree with me. They won't comment, but they immediately voted thumbs down on this video, and then went and thumbed down a bunch of my other videos. I don't mind a disagreement at all, but voice it. Show me why I'm wrong. Whatever tho, I expect people to do such things, lol.

Great video! Too many frames for a simple animation is like making a large texture for a small prim object. It's just not very efficient. It's a good thing to know and helps everyone in the long run.

Very good point to make - I must admit I just made some simple 5-second looping anims at 30fps out of sheer habit. I will give that a lot more thought in future

Good info, and i have to totaly agree with you on this.  As i make animations for weapons and hand to hand combat as well as other rp type animations,  all things have to be considered when your wanting to keep lag reduced to as least as possible and amiations are usually over looked in  regaurd to this.

Thumbs up Med :)

Thanks every1! I definitely think it's time for all of us to consider the total data that our products are using to help SL run as smoothly as possible.

I normally edit my animations in full frames for clarity purposes, then cut the frame count by using the 'Resample to 1/2 frames' a few times in BVHacker. A 1.5 second punch takes about 10/15 frames, still looking as clear in Secondlife as when I was editing it. Do you have any advice on a better technique?

Tommy Rampal wrote:

I normally edit my animations in full frames for clarity purposes, then cut the frame count by using the 'Resample to 1/2 frames' a few times in BVHacker. A 1.5 second punch takes about 10/15 frames, still looking as clear in Secondlife as when I was editing it. Do you have any advice on a better technique?

Personally, I think that is quite reasonable. A punch is a very fast motion so you need a decent amount of frames to make sure it is fully visible. Plus, because a punch is so short, time wise, it still ends up being a tiny file.

Hmmm 1.5 seconds to throw a punch is fairly slow..that would mean 2 punches seen animated every 3 seconds.  If the animations are for combat then you may want to speed them up abit.  Typicaly my martial animations are around 18 frames for hand stuff and 50 fps.  This gives a play time of about 0.36 sec if i remember rightly..and going by some punch animations i have seen,  0.36 is on the slowish side of things but still gives you good detail :)

The first punch animations i ever made were 4 frames at 18 fps..they were hyper fast lol and look like a fit of rage xD.

Personally, I don't like to make my animations that fast. Let's be clear what we are talking about tho. A typical strike for me means coming from a basic stand, doing the strike and then back to that basic stance. For my fastest punches, that is around 0.9 seconds at around 24 fps, with a 0.1 in blend time, and usually a 0.3 out blend time. That leaves about 0.5 for the actual punch. Like I said, that is my fastest punch, and I think if you could hit faster than that, you are in Bruce Lee territory, lol.

If we are talking a Kick, then mine are into the 1.5 seconds total, with spinning kicks being near 2.0 seconds.

Yes agreed Med, thats how I would do a punch if I were to make the stance as part of the punch animation, 0.50 is the slowest of my strike type animations.  It really depends on weapon type as well.  Typically for weapons or melee attachment your stance is 1 animation, the actual strike animation is another seperate one made to blend with the stance animation etc..