Should I label as 'mod' or 'no mod'?

Arduenn Schwartzman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

☠ ☠ ☠ WARNING! ITEM CONTAINS 'NO MOD' SCRIPT! ☠ ☠ ☠ 

Hi there fellow merchants. I have labeled my items as 'mod/copy/no trans' for years now on MP. Accordingly, I set my objects to 'mod/copy/no trans'. However, I always prefer to set the scripts inside these objects to 'no mod/copy/no trans'.

For the first time in the two years that I sell little airplanes, a customer has contacted me that he was disappointed that the script inside his purchased plane was no mod, since he assumed it would be mod as well, as indicated by the MP permissions section. I told him I set to 'mod' since everything was mod except for the script. He asked for a refund, which I granted him (nice way to get a freebie plane, btw).

The reason I set the object to 'mod' is that I want to give the customers the opportinity to modify the shape and textures of the planes. And they do, in very creative ways, and it is much appreciated.

The reason I set the scripts to 'no mod' is to have only the owner have control over the plane. Whoever wants to fly one, has to buy one. Another reason I leave it 'no mod' is that the script sontains clues to how the combat scoring system works and I don't want that to be tampered with.

Overall, about >80% of each product is 'mod', so I would say it would be fair to advertise it as such.

For the time being, I set the MP pages to 'mod/copy/no trans' with an extra warning in the description (with skulls and all) that the scripts inside are 'no mod' and that there will be no refunds. My in-world store now has a sign that indicates the same.

My question to you: Which is the appropriate conduct on MP? Label the product as 'no mod/copy/no trans' even if only the script inside is 'no mod' while the rest isn't? Would that be fair, or misleading?

I would do it the way you have and set it to MOD while adding a note in the Marketplace description that the script is NO MOD. You could also put the warning in the image of the product. I doubt you'll run into the problem very often.

You may want to include a note with the plane letting the customer know about any restrictions on modifying the plane (like telling them not to remove the wings) or doing anything to the plane that might interfere with your script. Also tell them to make sure they have a backup copy of the plane in their inventory.

I've always taken the simple view that a mod script is a full perm script by definition and you don't then mark the item as full perm in the permissions.

It would seem reasonable to me that the permissions represent the "object" or prime content and not the object content, what if you've got a no mod notecard in there, does it make sense to then put no mod in the permission listing because of it?

If the object for sale is a script and only a script then clearly the modify permissions is crucial but if it's a highly scripted object where the intellectual property, security, integrity is critical and that can only be achieved by making a script no mod, I don't see that there's any reasonable expectation that it would be set modify!

If in doubt then just do as Irene suggested and put "see description" but personally, I don't feel that it should be necessary to do that for scripts where the script is an enabler of an editable object but is not the prime item for sale as such.

As a customer I assume scripts will be no mod unless stated otherwise, but I play it safe as a merchant. I select mod in the ticky box section, but I list the full permissions as Copy / Mod / No Trans (Scripts No Mod) in the main text of the listing and on the product picture. So far, no one's complained.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.