How to grab number of persons in a sim by the map

Miranda Umino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you loook your map in your viewer and if you zoom enough , the viewer displays the number of people in a sim  with some green dot points ( a map on a sim where you are not there )

I have thought there were some javascript function os some feed datafiles from the second life map api who could give this information .

Nevertheless i can t find it .

I have tried to read the wiki page http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Map_API but i didn t find the number of persons

I have tried to use a debugger with an ewternal browser (IE, chrome .. etc .. ) but the number of persons ar not displayed outside the viewer .

Have you an idea how to proceed ?

There is no JS-feed between map and viewer that I'm aware of. Some other options:-

There's a new LSL command; llGetAgentList which is able to retrieve the names and type of avatars within a region, provided you have the containing script in the region.

Gridsurvey.com use a collection of autonomous bots that travel around the Second Life grid to retrieve map-based statistics which may be helpful to you. I am certain the creator of that site has methods for pulling the data back into SL, but I don't think any of it is traffic-based.

Your last (that I can think of) option is by using some kind of PHP/Jquery script from the 'Places' Search entry for each region. Since Search information is available on the web, I'm sure anything listed publically could be pulled from the page-content. I'm... not entirely certain how this would be done, but I'm fairly sure it would work.

yes .. i know these functions , but i want to know the number of avtars of an aonther sim .

For instance , to know if there are people in an aonther sim before to teleport there . No need to teleport if  i am able to know there is nobody i could meet

Miranda Umino wrote:

For instance , to know if there are people in an aonther sim before to teleport there . No need to teleport if  i am able to know there is nobody i could meet

If we all made this a condition for going somewhere, all sims would soon be empty:):smileyvery-happy:

The application you want cannot be programmed via LSL. Basically an LSL script runs on a server that supports a region the scriped object is currently located in. Generally LSL doesn't support methods that require a region server to request data from another region server. There are might be some exceptions to this in respect to adjucent servers but they are few in number and limited in distance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.