A Second Opinion on a New System for SL. Does anyone have experience of any of these components?

chuctanunda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thanks to Irene Muni and Rolig Loon for their very helpful responses to my request for guidance on specs for a new system in a previous post . With their advice, and lots of research, I finally felt confident enough to ask someone to put together a system for me.  His first proposal was my absolute dream machine, but way over budget. His second, which I post here, is a negotiation between the dream machine, and a spec I had put together on Newegg, which fit my budget, but maybe all the parts didn't go together. 

To make a long story short, I would be grateful for a second opinion or two on this spec. Specifically, would this build work well on SL at High graphics settings?  He said this would give me Outstanding FPS. 

Does anyone have any personal experience of any of these components in SL? Thank you. 

• AMD FX 8I20 Zambezi 3.l GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8I20FRGUBOX  FX-Series L2 tech: 8MB L3 Cache: 8MBnManufacturing Tech: 32 nrn Model #: FD8I20FRGUBOX
  • ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/Susb 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” Internal Hard Drive -flare Drive
  • GSkilI Ripjaw DDR3 12800 8GB 24
  • Nvidia GeFORCE 570 GTX 1280MB EVGA
  • Level 10 GTS Case ThermalTake
  • RX SSOAE Power supply RAIDMAX 850 Watt
  • Zalman Water cooling solution
  • Plextor DVD SATA Drive Model PX-8XOSA 
  • Microsoft Windows 7 1 64 bit
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

Looks like a very nice system although I am wondering why you're opting for an AMD FX 8120 Zambesi based system rather than an Intel i5 2500K one. The i5 2500K is generally regarded as a better gaming chip.

In a recent magazine review of AMD based motherboards, the Asus Sabretooth 990FX mobo gets a very good review with a score of 82. The Asus Crosshair V Formula gets 89 and is said to have a better soundcard than the Sabretooth as well for just a bit extra cash (£10). The ASRock Fatality 990FX Pro comes out as winner even though it only gets 88 but apparently has better software for overclocking and is a bit cheaper than the others. As you haven't specified a separate soundcard, perhaps the Asus Crosshair V Formula would be a better buy.

The other components all look very good. EVGA is considered to be one of the better Nvidia GTX 570 makers.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.