Sign in to follow this  

RTFM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think reality dictates to us that it's perfectly insane to expect anybody but trained professionals to RTFM.

And even those are going to be doing it half-heartedly with a sad face on.

Too much info overload everywhere. Ignoring just about everything around you makes for a critical, if unrecognized, skill needed to survive and succeed in today's world.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Either you do it, or you don't.  

Do you? 

I do.

I find some of them a form of entertainment, specially when they are google-translated. Or in case of IKEA, describe 4 type of cupboards in one drawing.....

Storm Clarence wrote:

Do you? 

You are wrong with your "Either you do it, or you don't" statement. I do it a little -  only the essential bits - and I don't think qualifies for the left side of your statement - but it may be me who's wrong.

I never stop learning.

But it's like counting back change. They don't teach it in school anymore.  Very sad.

Vegro Solari wrote:

I think
reality dictates to us that it's perfectly insane to expect anybody but trained professionals to RTFM

And even those are going to be doing it half-heartedly with a sad face on.

Too much info overload everywhere. Ignoring just about everything around you makes for a critical, if unrecognized, skill needed to survive and succeed in today's world.

You buy that brand spankin new Martha Stewart Food Processor, and you don't read the manual?  

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Wuts RTFM? :matte-motes-nerdy:

ETA  Google is my friend! I would like to say that I do at all times.
I like to curl up in bed and do it.
Then fall asleep.

Me too, one of my favorite things.  

I RTFM when I seek information and sometimes I learn things that I did not expect to learn.  I also use help forums  for specific questions that I cannot easily find in TM perhaps because my setup is different.

I do wish that new residents would avail themselves of the Answers forum when they have questions.  It is a treasure trove of good stuff and people nowdays should be comfortable using a search function, right?  If not, they could read up on it.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Do you? 

I do.

I find some of them a form of entertainment, specially when they are google-translated.
Or in case of IKEA
, describe 4 type of cupboards in one drawing.....

There is nothing like building that IKEA bookshelf without the instructions, and having 4 extra screws when you are complete.  Ahh, the smiles and the satisifaction.  

Phil Deakins wrote:

You are wrong with your "Either you do it, or you don't" statement. I do it a little -  only the essential bits - and I don't think qualifies for the left side of your statement - but it may be me who's wrong.

I can appreciate this^^.  Doing it a little is doing it.

RTFM? why do that when we have second life answers? :matte-motes-sarcasm:

I am kinda with Phil on this one. I kinda read them. I skim thru the manual to obtain only the essential info needed lol

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

... obtain only the essential info needed lol

What more do you need?  The rest of the manual is beach reading stuff.  I read what it takes to get the job done right. 

Generally speaking, I'll try to figure *it* (whatever that may be) out for myself first.  If I need help, then I'll RTFM.  Then sometimes I'll RTFM just to see all the stuff the thing can do or if I think there might be some special usage notes.

A large segment of the population gives it a go then when is royally f***ed they RTFM.

My personal motto is when in doubt RTFM, but often i can dispense with it and use what God gave me in its place.  However I  often have to ask myself how can I RTFM when it's in chinese?

i rtfm after i done whatever. just to see if they wrote it the way i done it. if they havent then i contact them to say they wtfmw

jejejejejejjeje (:

I always do unless it's something so simple a chimp could manage.. and that chimp part is fairly ironic since I've actually had to tell a few abrasive men in SL to RTFM while pointing to my profile. Chimps.. rolleyes.gif

i do until i am cranky. it just so happens i am very cranky right now.

bleh..i really am learning to hate acronyms..

a world full of acronyms..i just can't take it anymore!! \o/

good by cruel world!

cekapunch11.png

"

bleh..i really am learning to hate acronyms..

a world full of acronyms..i just can't take it anymore!! \o/

"

The elitist need them to feel elite, for some all in life is "look at me".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.