Sign in to follow this  
Song Indigo

Fifties rp, anyone?

Anyone who is rp'ing in this era, or wants to, let's get together please.  Im me here or inworld, looking forward to hearing from you.  :)

Just to further elaborate:

I rent an apartment on a fifties-themed sim.  It's perfectly set up for rp in this era with a bowling alley, diner, auto shops, park, carnival, and apartment to rent.  I'm the only resident here so far.  I'm not trolling for new renters, but am serious about using this sim for rp. 

The sim owner has said that there's no real rules here, but just to be mindful that when they have events, there may be a little lag.  I log on every day, put on an Elvis record, look out the window, and see the occasional passer-by, but no roleplayers. 

Anyone interested in making our own stories in this sim, or another?  I'm not averse to forming a 1950's household, and having my rp partners move into my apartment if they wish, or we could rp somewhere else.

Interested to hear from you.

I've had a few interested queries from people.  If you are interested in Fifties RP, do a search in world for the group: "Fifties Roleplay!" and join.  Check out this fantastic "Fifties Rock n Roll" sim with live performances http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gaja/220/150/22 where my avatar is residing.  If you come and look around, and I am there, please message me - love to meet new people.

Fifties RP would be dope. My ideas are such:

Demeanor.

- Within this rp community all the players would be required to have avatars that looked like they were from the 1950s. Also in the early-mid 20th century society was less open minded, and the media protrayed wholesome-ness and values. So in public controversial things would be looked down upon (openly selling drugs, cursing,etc--> But these things could all still occur, but behind closed doors.). The demeanor of the residents would have to reflect the era. 

Touchy topics such as racism, and sexism don't have to openly portrayed, but for example of a woman character were to get ambitious and try and apply for town police force, the response of the town and the police force would not be favorable. The townspeople would most likely discourage the character, or frown upon it.

SO in otherwords roleplayers can pave their own stories and in a way live in the 50s.

Real World events:

Events of the 50s and 60s could come up, and there could be an organized event to re--enact the particular event.

Family:

Family RP will be very encouraged. Like the traditional early-20th century American family. You don't see this much anymore in SL, and it could be fun for some.

Kid/teen-avatar RP:

If agreed upon, kid avatars could be allowed (with RULES), as youth culture played a big part in the era. Could offer a whole new avenue.

City-base groups. (The usual modern city groups)

-Police

-Fire Department

Playerbased groups   (Day to Day workers really build and form a base for good town rp)

- Workforce: Buisnessmen (corporate), Milkman Union, Postman Union, clerk, etc, etc ---> These could all be roleplayed, and are plausible roleplay titles.

-Greasers, outcast, poor type group: Would be looked down upon by the rest of the townspeople as trashy, etc, etc.

(A basic social class conflict could occur here, the storylines are up to the players)

Gotti Rubble wrote:

Fifties RP would be dope. My ideas are such:

Demeanor.

- Within this rp community all the players would be required to have avatars that looked like they were from the 1950s. Also in the early-mid 20th century society was less open minded, and the media protrayed wholesome-ness and values. So in public controversial things would be looked down upon (openly selling drugs, cursing,etc--> But these things could all still occur, but behind closed doors.). The demeanor of the residents would have to reflect the era. 

Touchy topics such as racism, and sexism don't have to openly portrayed, but for example of a woman character were to get ambitious and try and apply for town police force, the response of the town and the police force would not be favorable. The townspeople would most likely discourage the character, or frown upon it.

SO in otherwords roleplayers can pave their own stories and in a way live in the 50s.

Real World events:

Events of the 50s and 60s could come up, and there could be an organized event to re--enact the particular event.

Family:

Family RP will be very encouraged. Like the traditional early-20th century American family. You don't see this much anymore in SL, and it could be fun for some.

Kid/teen-avatar RP
:

If agreed upon, kid avatars could be allowed (with RULES), as youth culture played a big part in the era. Could offer a whole new avenue.

City-base groups
. (The usual modern city groups)

-Police

-Paramedic

-Fire Department

Playerbased groups 
  (Day to Day workers really build and form a base for good town rp)

- Workforce: Buisnessmen (corporate), Milkman Union, Postman Union, clerk, etc, etc ---> These could all be roleplayed, and are plausible roleplay titles.

-Greasers, outcast, poor type group: Would be looked down upon by the rest of the townspeople as trashy, etc, etc.

(A basic social class conflict could occur here, the storylines are up to the players)

Some of the ideas are interesting although I'm not sure all of them would really work for what she has in mind or for this particular sim, it's not really set up for a fire department for example, and paramedics did not even exist to any extent until the late 60's and early 70's in one city and then finally began to branch out through the later 70's and 80's so that wouldn't even fit.

I think the player groups are way to constraining and again, the sim isn't really set up for that anyway, there is no where for all of these "workers" etc.  I think the idea is for a more casual type of role play within the era, but typical things like sock hops and dinner parties and hanging out at the drive-in etc. ... you know, more free form and light hearted.

I am definately with you on the wholesome part though, that was one of the iconic benchmarks of the era, one we sadly are missing too much of.

FYI, the first woman police officer dates all the way back to 1910 so by the 50's it was not that unusual to have a few women on the force.

I'm not sure what you meant about family rp missing in SL, the Family RP community is pretty huge in SL.

Yeah thats much more plausible. I was just brainstorming. Maybe a few cops with batons, and those firefighters.

A Pleasantville type feel would be cool.

But the wholesome aspect is really what im driving for, the whole deamnor of the residents towards change.

Gotti Rubble wrote:

But the wholesome aspect is really what im driving for, the whole deamnor of the residents towards change.

I am certainly with you there!  Wasn't that the days when people actually had a thing called manners to?  What happened to that?

I'm interested in a fifties RP, we'll need to find a 1950s RP community, if I could afford it, I'd set one up myself, but I can't, which sucks... I really do want a 1950s type community, it looks like such a great era!

So I have a new friend who is just as keen as I to start something up.  Btw, I've been contacted by lots of people interested in this kind of rp.  She has friends who have a sim and interested parties can start something up there, but the owners would prefer it if players rent some land and do the decorating themselves, which is fair enough. 

I'd be happy to put my money where my mouth is, is anyone else interested?  I can't afford to pay for a whole sim, but a parcel or two, I'd be keen to rent.  We could band together and rent a sizeable portion of a sim....like a co-op.  I will get my friend to come on here and explain her concept.  In the meantime, you can conact me In SL, or  join my group: "Fifties Roleplay" and we can discuss it further there!

Am totally keen to get this done!  I have lots of Fifties-themed stuff to lay down, I'm no builder but I've been in SL a while and I know what looks good, and I have no problem with parting with my own cash to get a sim established.

Btw, it's cool if you don't have funds, please contribute with ideas, energy and your awesome rp presence and interest! 

Oh dear, you'll have to excuse my late responce, I lost track of this thread and I just couldn't find it again.. Anyway, I'd be happy to join that group, and I'll send you an IM in-world :)

New Dolphin Bay 1950s Family Town now open! 

Dolphin Bay is a 1950's Family Roleplay Town designed for retro/vintage lovers of all ages, especially families, who love everything to do with the 1950s! (As a note, we are on Homestead land, which means we have more traffic and scripting limits than a full-prim sim. So I have worked hard to design a quality, realistic experience with as few prims and resources as possible.) We offer everything from living, to entertainment, shopping & dining, so step back in time with us to one of the most loved decades in our history and let your friends and family know our 1950s living by the sea!

~ Bicycle rentals

~ fishing at the pier

~ Daddy's Diner

~ Sugarbaby's Ice Cream and Candy Shop

~ Bonnie's Bakery (coming soon!)

~ irrie's Dollhouse (vintage, family rp, furniture, textures, and more to come)

~ Police Department

~ Public Library

~ Apartments, houses, bungalows for rent

~ Drive-in Theater with Snack Bar (opening soon!)

~ A park with playground, beach for swimming or sunbathing, beach balls, and more to come as I get ideas and as prims allow! 

Contact me in-world for details and directions :) 

~ irrie Ember

I live here.  It's wonderful and very authentic!  It's brand-spanking new and the landlords are really lovely and very accommodating.  People are friendly, and though it's a little quiet right now as it's starting up, I'm sure that role-play will develop and stories and characters will be established and it'll be a great place to hang out in the fifties.  Come visit, I'll be happy to show you around!

Silver Screen Unisex Salon has opened in Dolphin Bay!  We're looking for barbers, stylists (senior and junior) and a masseuse.  Pick up a job application from the salon!  Here's a couple of pics to tempt you.

Finished Salon!_001.jpgFinished Salon!_003.jpgFinished Salon!_004.jpgFinished Salon!_006.jpgFinished Salon!_008.jpgFinished Salon!_007.jpgFinished Salon!_010.jpg