Deploys for the week of 2012-05-28

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Oskar

As of 10:30pm PDT sim 21103 Woods of Heaven, on LeTigre had NOT been rolled, yet the Grid Status Page states that Restarts on LeTigre are done. 

What has happened?

I checked the server version and it definitely hasn't changed and I had been online there without a break since 7am PDT.

Please investigate.

Edit 12:45pm PDT: Hmm, your response is conspicuous by its absence, Oskar.

It's been a rough morning. If I do not respond immediately to your posts Ayesha it's not conspicious, it means I'm busy. I'm sure you understand. You know I will always update when I have the first opportunity.

Oskar we need the ports fixed asap, right now in and out of blue steel we are geting a huge number of port failures, where prior to the engineering disaster we were getting only a few,. and at the rate we are moving the businesses there may be gone by the time we see the promised improvements.  Port failures and log in difficulties as a result of them are causing major problems for players of all ages, and severe problems for older players, and it has reached the point that many of them are leaving sl or no longer logging if because they do not want the problems. 

Look at your on line numbers, and look at the retention rate of older player, and look at the pattern that has developed over the last six months and tell me that this is not a severe problem and at least as deserving of attention as pre baked textures in the libriary.  Like it or not Lindin Labs depends on these players for its income and depends most heavily upon the older established players.  If these people are loosing interest and trust in LL and leaving SL this qualifies as a crisis, and if a simple technological change will alleviate this problem I would think it deserves priority.  Linden Labs needs to take an honest look at these figures and address this issue because they are fast reaching the point where it will be too late.

Oskar

I am beginning to wonder if one or two things are affected by this new software.  While I have seen no obvious changes in script behaviour, sim script time has increased by about 20% with no change in script numbers on the sim.

Also some prims seem slower to rez now..granted this may also be a side-effect of sim-idle state, since the sim is more often than not empty when I log on, which is when I see this issue (ISP and PC issues have been discounted).

One "difficult" sculpty, while its texture loads, simply never fully "unfolds"...others of similar complexity (trees etc) seem OK though.

Just thought I'd mention it (and Yes, folks, I did try a cache clearance too).:matte-motes-wink:

Edit Sunday 03rd: 

I can confim that my surroundings are slow to load when logging into an empty sim and are NOT when sim is "up" and another AV is on the sim.

I also am of the opinion that the sim is slower sending data to the viewer following this week's Roll.

The first two days the function llTeleportAgent() was worked fine but with a security bug. I observed that bug was solved, but with an undesirable effect. Each avatar to be teleported has to grant permissions. If I give permission once, and another avatar teleports giving permission, then I have to grant permissions again if I want to teleport. It would be interesting, if an object is on the same land of the owner to work as it did the first day, ie, the owner gives permission only once and the teleporter works with all other avatars without having to give these permits.

Teleport tunel from Imperium III Game.

The cave of the image if from the game Imperium III. Armies entering a cave are teleported to another cave. Caves like this, (but not exactly equal due to IP) could exist in SL. For example, where a road ends. But if a dialog box appears, it destroys the magic.

That is the security bug that i mencioned. I deduced that there are two work modes, restrictive mode and permissive mode. Rausch Combat Sandbox and Weapong Testing Sandbox are in permissive mode. Other simulators, for example my land, are in restrictive mode.

My sugestion is Permissive mode if teleport is in the owner land, (anyway a land owner can teleport everyone to their house), and restrictive mode for all other cases.

I am puzzled though because in the Wiki it states:

To run this function the script must request the PERMISSION_TELEPORT permission with llRequestPermissions and it must be granted by agent.  (my bolding)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTeleportAgentGlobalCoords

These long time users are stating they did not grant permission.

I am also told there is now a sec JIRA on it but I don't have the link.

That is correct, no permissions were given to be teleported.  All the individuals I was with recieved the same message "you have been teleported by an objected owned by..." with their names spoofed as the owners.  One individual I knows has two bots operating on the sim this occured and one of them was teleported along with us.  It was force from it's base and sent on a trip to several sims, finally ending up in a heap on a bronie sim with several other bots who had the misfortune of being forced TPed

That is why they call it a bug... its broken.

I suspect the Lindens thought the new tp function would only work in the Magnum RC. Appreantly that is not the case. Scripts made in Magnum then taken out apparently work and because the premissions system hasn't been changed outside of Magnum.

Oops. 

They'll get it fixed. Might be a bumpy week.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.