I walk on air at my uploaded mesh

vng

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

Though years mesher  i am a newbie in meshing in that 3d world SL.
I have a problem...I do my mesh in 3ds max ..I export DAE..I upload it  in Second life and all ok.I aply my textures.Everything is great
The problem is that i walk on air.I mean i did a platform with fenses and railings around and i cant step on my platform`s floor..And i see my feet in the railing level.Has that to do with pivot position in 3ds max?DO i something wrong?
Any help Would be apreaciated.

Regards

VNG

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2vtr3ao.jpg[/IMG]

The default physics/collision shape for any mesh is a single default convex hull for the whole mesh. By definition,.the convex hull has no concavities and so it has a top surface level with the top of your fence posts. If you do not provide an explicit physics shape when you upload the model, the default convex hull will be the only available physics shape, apart from "None". You select between physics shape types on the features tab of the edit dialog, and in this case the only options are "Convex hull" (the default) and "None".

The "None" type means the mesh is unknown to the physics engine, so there are no collisions, like setting "Phantom", but more so. However, you can't set the physics shape type of the root prim of a linkset to "None", and if the linkset is just the one mesh, this means you can't use "None".

You can use type "None" if you link the mesh to some ordinary prims. If you keep these as just simple boxes with stretching and no other distortions, they will not contribute much land impact (0.1 each). You can make the collision shape from these prims, make them invisible with the default transparent texture, and make one of them the root of the linkset (select last before linking). Then you can set the physics shape type of the mesh to "None" and see the collision behaviour you wanted.

This is not generally the best way to make the physics shape, not least because the prims can be accidentally unlinked. More thorough solutions are provided by uploading an explicit physics shape on the physics tab of the upload dialog. That shape is then selected by setting the physics shape type to "Prim", an option that only appears if you do specify a physics shape.

Making and optimising physics shapes is a large subject, and requires substantial experimentation to get a good grasp of the principles. The best solutions nearly always require a mesh made just for the physics shapes, rather than using the LOD meshes. For the simple case you describe, a floor with a surrounding fence, I would recommend providing a mesh that just has one rectangular surface for each of the floors and fences, then using a triangle-based shape, which you get by NOT clicking "Analyze".

Be careful with triangle-based shapes though, they get rapidly more weighty for land impact as the triangles get smaller. So they are seldom a good solution for smaller meshes or meshes with rounded surfaces. To become proficient in making physics shapes, you need to learn about decomposed shapes too, the ones you get after clicking "Analyze".

so as Barzane wrrote in previous reply if i make in 3ds max the low poly surface that actually will be my physiq dae.(thing ) i did .

IS that i have  in build tool to set my mesh to prim?cuz i did not make that step.

Min Barzane wrote:

my fault,i forgot to mention prim physics type seting in SL building tools,sowyyyyyyy

/me is blond

Brunettes made the jokes for blonds  at   weekend nights cuz were   all time alone..Geezzz

SO no mather blond or not..ur help was great

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.