Do any viewers support 3D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed in the settings for my Graphics card that is has lots of 3D options,  so presumably if I had a 3D capable monitor, then all I'd need is the silly glasses....

However, does the viewer need to be 3D capable, or just that it renders a 3D world enough - my understanding is that the viewer (or any game for that matter) just chucks the graphics render information at the graphics card and it sorts it all out.

The official SL client isn't designed to be 3-D capable, so the glasses won't help.

There have been attempts by third-party developers to make 3-D capable versions of it -- see Nalates' blog for details of some -- but I don't think there are any in active development.    KirstenLee, who made an experimental one, stopped making viewers altogether some time ago, because of family and work committments.

It does appear that 3D might work without the viewer having to do something special. Have asked a similar question elsewhere  and got given a link to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_3D_Vision

"The stereo driver software can perform automatic stereoscopic conversion by using the 3D models submitted by the application and rendering two stereoscopic views instead of the standard mono view. "

Presumably required a 3D monitor compatible with an Nvidia card....will want to actually see this before buying it :-)

I found a DirectX driver from www.iz3d.com which outputs 3D. I don't know if it uses any of the graphics cards capabilities or if it just Doing Its Own Thing, but it works with pretty well with another online game.

DirectX only - I didn't know SL only used OpenGL, but that explains why I couldn't get it to work :-(

Unless there's a TPV that uses DirectX, I guess this is scuppered then.

• 1 year later...

The answer is YES!!

I have created a Jira REQUEST as of 8/26/2013 to add 3D vision to firestorm! A guy named David Rowe created coding for it

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-11476

PLEASE COMMENT/SUPPORT to get their ATTENTION

All of the elements are in place for Firestorm to implement it, (it is possible!) however they WILL NOT add it if we don't get their attention!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.