To all designers who use mesh....

Cully Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can agree with the OP on one thing that mesh should be properly labled. I've found when buying sculpties and when I was trying to get mesh feet that often sculpties are misslapeled as mesh also. This is SL yes everything is mesh of some kind but how the server stores it and spits it out to the computer is important and those methods are labled as prims, sculpties and mesh. We all have our own reaons for wanting stuf properely labled.

As for the computers come on guys some people are on bad ish systems they dont choose to be but they are and the build your own optiion isnt really an option.

• 2 weeks later...

SL runs decently (15-20fps) with mesh clothing just fine on my $350 2009 Toshiba laptop.

It runs AMAZINGLY WELL on my 2011 $1000 iMac - 30-80+ FPS, 20-30 when shadows are on.

But I agree on one thing with the OP:

Label your items as mesh if they are.

- So I know which ones to buy. :D

Nothing like buying something and finding its -not- mesh but a doctored up vendor pic to resemble mesh. Only happened twice so far, but I've seen it on more items which I managed to figure out weren't mesh before buying.

- And if it mesh, put out a demo, so I can determine if its for me. You might lose a sale if it isn't, but you'd never gain the sale even if it was if I can't find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems you are one of my kind tho

I don't see mesh properly either.

But I don't bother.

MESH it's the worst and biggest failure of SL history and (my opinion) ιτ is the knock out punch for it.

After all those changes who made this world totally different and repulsive from the wonderful world we met at the beginning and the starting idea of the founder (Phillip Roshdale).

Bad Viewers- Social Network orientation  - Migration of the economy on a website (Marketplace) and Land devaluation.

You want more?

Enjoy SL with the simplest way you can and get a laugh or two :) with those who trying to wear all those ugly MESH clothes..... just because are fashionable.

Smoothie Perl wrote:

... and get a laugh or two
:)
with those who trying to wear all those ugly MESH clothes..... just because are fashionable.

Yes, we should need only ordinary solid prims, no flexi ones naturally.  They should be satisfactory for everybody.  Any advancement in SL features is REALLY bad idea.  Stop development!

Who in their right mind would like to wear the horrible, ugly mesh clothes like these for example.  Must be totally crazy person in trying to wear those laughable items, just because they seem to be fashionable!

sFi_hammer.gif

Mesh-Jeans-and-Dress.jpg

:smileytongue:

• Like 1

Maybe you should change to one of the oldest basic startingavatars? Stop using flexiprims and sculpts, its just an ugly fashion thing! Oh and those hipster thing they call alpha layer....stop using it, all you need are invisiprims which show up at every damn ground which is not soild.

If mankind had the same thoughts in the past 10 000 years, like you have right now, we would be still sitting in some caves and tents. Modern technology....pff...just an ugly fashion thing!

I'm talking about MESH clothing!

I don't reject everything.

MESH its nice in furniture and any other static prims as far I’ve seen and I created many of them also.

Apparel is another story.

Why I should wear a mesh shorts for example?

As a content creator I have patience and I must be cautious with major changes.

That’s the point.

TIP: Sometimes things that are working well you have to keep 'em as they are.

Riding horses was working fine too. Cars were quite crapy at the beginning, but now, body would switch to horses again, cause cars evolved into something really good.

So far, I'm using several mesh clothes and attachments. I got long mesh hair, cause it doesn't stick trough my body like normal long hair does. I have long boots which go over my knee, without mesh, it would look terrible when ever I walk and dance (I tried some normal boots before). And last but not least, I got some mesh feet and I must say they look quite more realistic than prim or basic feet do. They follow my moves nearly the same way they would do in real life.

I don't wear all those things cause they are a fashion trend, I wear them cause they are better.

Smoothie Perl wrote:

Why I should wear a mesh shorts for example?

For example to prevent the shorts from sinking into the bum crack.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Painted on skin tight system clothes follow every valley and bump of the avatar mesh.

Mesh clothes can be made to look more like real clothes.

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain how mesh is all the same as everything old, if it requires a new viewer, or a patch to an old one to see it? The difference may be slight, but there has to be a difference if an update of any kind is needed to see it.

And, hardware isn't the issue. I've tried multiple viewers, and on some, it's absolutely horrid. On either Neiran's or the latest Firestorm, it actually loads, rezzes, and looks so good that I actually forget I'm looking at mesh. And i forget to look for mesh in the describtion. My first mesh purchases were actually by accident. And like the old fashioned way, quality depends on the creator. It's still best to try demos or buy from reputable sources.

Mesh is still relatively new, and it'll take time for it to be perfected. For static objects, like furniture, it's already proven itself better. It allows builders to place more, using less prims. Clothing, hair, and other avatar attachments still have plenty of drawbacks.

Of course, this only helps the original poster if his/her machine can run the newer viewers, and i assume it can't.
 If upgrading isn't affordable, what about overclocking? Or killing un-needed processes? There's a lot within the operating system of the computer that takes more resources than it should. Turning off themes, cursor animations, and such will free up some ram. So will cleaning up your start folder. Do a google search for tricks to speed up your operating system. If you don't mind learning something new, try running linux instead of windows. Ubuntu can be ran from a cd rom drive. Of course, you'll have to actually install it if you want to download programs for it, but that gives you an idea of just how compact it is. When the OS uses less resources, more is available for the programs that are running. That might help for now. But the person who said that as time goes on, SL will keep taking better and better hardware for all it's features to work is right.

I agree that mesh items should be marked on vendors for the time being at least.
SL has an inherent problem that is seems to attract people that, for the most part, are not the 'gamer' type with the appropriate hardware to handle what is essentially the most demanding 'game' out there. If you are here to stay, then getting an appropriate computer at some point seems to be the most logical choice to me. Most people don't go hiking in torn up sandals or heels either, they buy suited shoes.

Sure, mesh may have a bug here and there and perhaps not the most polished thing ever yet, but what the 'I wont mesh this, I wont mesh that' crowd seems to fail to understand, and I am not talking about rigged clothing here, is that they are essentially p**ing into their own tub.
SL content is enormously heavy, and well made mesh is a way out of that. The sooner the grid rids itself from the millions of sculptie lagbombs, the better everyones expierence will be.

I dont know how often i have heard "can't afford new computer, new parts etc". That may be true in some cases, but at large, i dont buy it. I am far from rich, and when an upgrade for computer is needed i have to save up for a while, but it is very possible to afford if your priorites are as such.

Well either that, or SL truely is the worlds largest online bum convention. There are triple digit million number of gamers out there, largely teens and younger adults and they can afford the latest hardware, but the adult community in SL cannot afford to replace their 2004 made typewriter?

Lastly, brace yourself for the next big outcry when normalmaps and materials will require running deferred renderer (ie. lighting and shadows enabled) to be seen correctly. The move will be painful at first, but it is one that has to happen if SL wants to stay afloat.
Given time, will also improve it's performance because it shifts work from the CPU (where alot is happening now) to the much much faster graphics card.

It really is time to start saving up for those hiking shoes.

Aveline Stein wrote:

Sure, mesh may have a bug here and there and perhaps not the most polished thing ever yet, but what the 'I wont mesh this, I wont mesh that' crowd seems to fail to understand, and I am not talking about rigged clothing here, is that they are essentially p**ing into their own tub.

SL content is enormously heavy, and well made mesh is a way out of that. The sooner the grid rids itself from the millions of sculptie lagbombs, the better everyones expierence will be.

I agree. The difference *should* become even more apparent when normal- and specular maps come in.

- Luc -

I guess LL is to blame somewhat for not rolling features out in a more polished fashion. People tried out the first mesh viewer and it indeed was more laggy. Reputation ruined and takes a long time to fix. You only get 1 chance at a first impression.
Also, what many perhaps don't see is that transition like this may take upwards of 2 years for the effects to be truely felt.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.