Small Minor Direct-Delivery ANS/SLM issue with Legacy Names

Gearsawe Stonecutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is not documented on the Wiki. All functions in SL which return the Legacy name also include the last name even if it is Resident. So when it is states on the wiki that the ANS/SLM returns the Legacy name is not corret in all cases. As it may result in void or null data which could lead to problems with searching of one own database. Things should be made the same across the board when possible weather it be SL funtions or data from the market place. When they are not there will be problems down the road.

Why use the jira?  The normal way of drawing the author's attention to an error in an article in the SL wiki is to leave a note in the Discussion tab, suggesting it be changed.   Or at least that's what we usually do with stuff in the LSL sections of the wiki, and especially when the author is a resident.

Closed - "Expected Behaviour".  Broken is expected Innula, that's all i'm taking away recently.

See if they classify this not dissimilar one with "Expected behaviour" though

Marketplace "merchant search" fails to process account names

They introduced all these annoying different name formats and can't maintain consistency themselves.  Broken is expected behaviour, keep chanting it.

It's not quite the same,  to my mind, Sassy.   Your jira is about something that's unexpected behaviour, at the very least -- since I can find people in most other searches by looking for their username as well as their legacy name, I'd expect to be able to search by that in the Marketplace.   That's worth having a jira about.

But I can't really see the point of using the jira to complain that a resident-written article in the wiki is inaccurate.   As far as I can see, the ANS returns what floats above your head (at least in a up-to-date viewer) if you haven't set a display name -- legacy name if you're old enough to have one, single name, preserving case, if you only have the one name.   The wiki article mistakenly says it's the "legacy name" in both cases, which I agree is wrong, but that seems to me a case for correcting the wiki article (and maybe posting the work-round for people who want to parse the single name into SingleName Resident rather than parse the results into a username).

I don't mean to criticise Gearsawe.. it just struck me, when I read it, that it looked like a case for changing the otherwise excellent wiki article rather than the ANS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.