How to cease ownership of mainland parcel?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings. For the past near to a year now, I've maintained a small parcel of land on the mainland for use as a little retreat for myself. Unfortunately, I don't spend nearly as much time as I used to with my Second Life, and I'd really like to be done with the monthly fee for mainland ownership.

I wish to stay premium however, so I'm not quite sure how to proceed here. How does one go about attempting to sell off their bit of land, so that I can revert to the standard premium membership without any additional land fees attached? Being that I had to purchase the parcel to begin with, I'd really rather not simply watch it default to LL now that I'm done with it.

I'd appreciate any advice or tips on how to proceed from here so as to be done with this particular aspect of SL. Thank you in advance!

You can sell it on the open market by going to the land tools and setting it for sale.  Most mainland is selling at $1L/sqm now unless its a particularly prime parcel.  For the quickest sale, price it below that rate.  However there is no guarantee it will sell in the time frame you want it to as there is a lot of mainland available for sale.  If your tier is not due for a while it may be worth giving it a go though.  You can post in these forums that it is for sale to advertise it.

Your other option is to abandon the land using the same land tools.  There is a button for it there labeled as such.  You won't receive any refund of tiers paid in advance.  If you decide to take this action be sure to follow through and check that your billing amount changes too keeping in mind that tier is not billed in advance but in arrears.  The tier is a monthly charge for the peak amount of land held during the PREVIOUS 30 days, including actual parcels held and land tier donated to groups.

Sadly, mainland parcels have very little value currently and most don't see any reason for being optomistic that value will ever recover. Unless there's something rare about the parcel you own, it likely won't sell for more than about 1/2 a linden per meter and to even realize that price you have to be willing to sit on it a while and hope the right buyer comes along. I'm not sure it's size, but, since you can have about 512m's free and you mention wanting to stop paying tier I'll take it that you own a 1024m (for sake of discussion). Pricing it about 500L means you'll make a little less than $2 US on the sale, but, tier for a 1024m runs $5 US, so, you really save more by abandoning it rather than paying the $5 per month in the hope of making a $2 sale. The same holds true as you go up in size, since the tier also increases the more land you hold. It therefore becomes very easy to see why so many abandon land and one can imagine how this causes prices to continue to spiral down.

Good luck in whatever you elect to do... I am sorry to see yet another person no longer interested in being here in Second Life.

You will already pay the existing tier for the current billing period, so I would initially set it for sale, dropping the price every day until it sells.  Then, if it hasn't sold near the end of the billing cycle, you can decide whether to go another month trying to sell it or to simply abandon it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.