Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest

Next Marketplace Banner and New Categories

Recommended Posts

What would be nice is if structures (and bridges, walkways and other) were under home & garden, not building components.

Most everything in building components are full perm or other items meant for use in producing sellable objects.

It would be more helpful if these were separate from prefab, no trans or no copy items meant to be used only on your own builds for personal use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How I look at it- There are several brands of cats, dogs, horses, etc.

AFAIK, only one company making Meeroos. Roos are Roos, it is a brand but also a "thing". They aren't a cat, dog, horse, rodent, etc. 

It might look like playing faves, maybe they should be in an "other" category, but I don't see it as unethical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Josh Susanto wrote:

The logic I imagine should best be used is that, at each categorical level, the number of marketplace items in each category should be close to the number in each other category. 

That is, if there are more than twice as many items in one category as there are in some other category on the same categorical level, probably two categories should be joined or one category should be split. 

Not that there's any way to make this work perfectly.

I just think that it's probably the kind of principle we're looking for in order to assess whether a change in category structure is probably a good idea or a bad idea. 

No?

Sounds perfectly logical to me and an excellent way to know when to split categories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

How I look at it- There are several brands of cats, dogs, horses, etc.

AFAIK, only one company making Meeroos. Roos are Roos, it is a brand but also a "thing". They aren't a cat, dog, horse, rodent, etc. 

It might look like playing faves, maybe they should be in an "other" category, but I don't see it as unethical.

Meeroo is a Brand name, their "thing" is a Mystical or fantasy pet, its unethical because it gave the company Meeroos as a whole a greater advantage over new customers exploring the marketplace when they see Meeroo standing out of a crowd of many other breedable pets.

Having one brand name showing on the market place shows favoritism towards that particular thing, and other companies will want their name there as well, but this can't be done because companies come and go very fast, and the list can never be maintained.

But LL have changed it so that the brandname is no longer on the category name. Yet they haven't made concessions to other types of pets by removing the category Breedable Pets, and just adding breedable Cats, Dogs & Horses. As it was suggested, LL should also have a category for Fantasy & Mystical Breedables, and a few additional ones, such as Sci-fi Breedables, Small Breedables and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see where photography studios is a STRUCTURE  or Building Component.  That is just making it more difficult to find on something that should be listed under photography accessories at the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Foxy Petunia wrote:

I don't see where photography studios is a STRUCTURE  or Building Component.  That is just making it more difficult to find on something that should be listed under photography accessories at the least.

I don't see why they're updating the structure of the categories to begin with when there have been feature requests such as e-mail notification toggles for the past two years, which still haven't been delivered. As for ethics with linden labs, really? The company has ignored user requests over the past six years and will continue to do so for the next six [assuming they manage to progress that long].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see they have changed it- I'm really bad at reading ahead!

I get it's a brand name and that can cause concern. But really, what would you name a category that Meeroos fall under, other than "Other"? I think that's why LL made the category to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

I see they have changed it- I'm really bad at reading ahead!

I get it's a brand name and that can cause concern. But really, what would you name a category that Meeroos fall under, other than "Other"? I think that's why LL made the category to begin with.

The category in question was called - 'Breedables/Meeroos'

So in short, we are saying that Breedables should be the correct category name, as there are other breedable creators aside from Meeroo creators. 

Another example - if LL put Cars/Chevrolet - all the other car makers would be up in arms since it would be expected of them to list their cars under this category.

hth :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

I see they have changed it- I'm really bad at reading ahead!

I get it's a brand name and that can cause concern. But really, what would you name a category that Meeroos fall under, other than "Other"? I think that's why LL made the category to begin with.

 

Hey Rosemaery, Like i mentioned in my previous reply, a category that would be suitible to the meeroo's would be some thing along the lines of Fantasy Breedable pet, or Mystical Breedable pet. I hope that the other answers on this page helps you to understand why the category shouldnt be named Meeroos.

 

Best Regards.

Gaia Engineer

Gaia Breedables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, and there are also other mesh avatars and other mesh avatar clothes, shoes, and accessories.  A category for such avatars and all their accessories makes more sense and is fairer than singling out one brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

masquerade (1).jpeg

Life can be a masquerade! We have a new banner in the Marketplace courtesy of Harper Beresford that links you to everything you'll need to attend any masquerade inworld. 

 

Also don't forget we have added a Masquerade category to the destination guide. If you have an upcoming masquerade event, please submit it for review to be added!

Thank you!

 


 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>The category in question was called - 'Breedables/Meeroos'

Please don't quote me out of context, but even I think that's a much too stupidly obvious mistake to possibly have been intentional favoritism.

I have no problem giving LL credit this time for just getting a little bit ahead of itself and stumbling on some of the category logic that would otherwise have been really easy to manage.

It looks to me much like a mistake such as someone would make trying to catch up and provide an immediate fix that can be adjusted later as necessary. That is, it's a comparatively unimportant problem, and the risk of creating it by doing categories too quickly is quite small in comparison to the danger of letting the Mad Men promotion continue (for example).

It's much better to rush things that can be fixed, such as category protocol, than to rush things that really can't be fixed, like chosing a promotion with dubious IP provenance and nothing ready to replace it if something should go wrong. 

Moreover, it was fixed, and quickly.

Isn't that what counts most of all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>Don't fee bad, no butterflies either.

And where am I going to put my breedable houses, breedable cars, breedable guns, and breedable mesh 9en1tal1a?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Josh Susanto wrote:

>
The category in question was called - 'Breedables/Meeroos'

Please don't quote me out of context, but even I think that's a much too stupidly obvious mistake to possibly have been intentional favoritism.

I have no problem giving LL credit this time for just getting a little bit ahead of itself and stumbling on some of the category logic that would otherwise have been really easy to manage.

It looks to me much like a mistake such as someone would make trying to catch up and provide an immediate fix that can be adjusted later as necessary. That is, it's a comparatively unimportant problem, and the risk of creating it by doing categories too quickly is quite small in comparison to the danger of letting the Mad Men promotion continue (for example).

It's much better to rush things that can be fixed, such as category protocol, than to rush things that really can't be fixed, like chosing a promotion with dubious IP provenance and nothing ready to replace it if something should go wrong. 

Moreover, it was fixed, and quickly.

Isn't that what counts most of all?

I wasn't quoting you at all & in fact, was replying to someone else's comment. 

I was quoting LL & the category that they originally had before they changed it to remove the word 'Meeroos'.  The OP originally had these words and I quote:  'Breedables/Meeroos'.

As a matter of fact, I was the first person on this thread to say it was unfair & should be removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the keyword spam begins.

What does:

A straight jacket, 12 skins, Xmas promo outfits, Living room furniture, any scripted weapon and a scarecrow have to do with the theme of Masquerade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

and the keyword spam begins.

What does:

A straight jacket, 12 skins, Xmas promo outfits, Living room furniture, any scripted weapon and a scarecrow have to do with the theme of Masquerade?

Technically it category spam, most of the spam on the first page dose not have Masquerade as a key word.  Not that, that makes it any better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>I wasn't quoting you at all & in fact, was replying to someone else's comment. 

Understood. 

I just meant to preven anyone reading from extracting the word "stupid" as an insult to LL, whch, in this case, it is not intended to be; only the specific thing that they did was stupid in terms of the result it momentarily produced.

I hadn't meant the commentary as a whole to seem to be directed to you at all, but responses are always shown as being toward a particular person, so I am sorry about that.

I did cut and paste your text, though, so I credited you with it out of habit.

Your points about Breedables/Meroos have been spot on.

The only point I had intended to make is that, as sinister as I tend to think a lot of things either are or might be, I don't want anyone assuming that I think the Breedables/Meroos thing is anything like a good example of something I would point to as showing the influence of Malefactor Linden.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through, the masquerade category is managing better than madstyle. Masks, formalwear and ballroom items are winning over the random stuff. It's a small enough category that it wouldn't take someone long to clear out the listings that shouldn't be there. (Though there is a certain humour in some of them... I'm imagining someone turning up dressed up as a chicken for a fancy masked ball.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...