Meshlab settings for exporting dae?

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went through some old creations I did and wanted to convert them to dae to upload to SL via Meshlab. I imported the .obj file into Meshlab, which displays fine, then I clicked "export as", then chose "collada .dae", which exported fine as well. But when I try to upload the model to SL it says "error: material of model is not a subset of model" at the bottom left, there is no preview picture, and there is a "missing required level of detail". Does anyone know what these errors mean? Some specific settings I need to set in meshlab to export?

• 1 year later...

Ok, after much Googling, I found one solution. Apparently, this error is all wrong: it has nothing to do with "materials", but with a mesh which is too complex.

The solution, for me, was to get Meshlab use one of its simplification algorithms to get a much smaller mesh. This is naturally tricky, the better the algorithm, the more horrible the result. Sometimes, just a 10% decrease in complexity is enough for SL to accept the mesh and get it working.

Things are also not always obvious. Some objects seem very simple in Meshlab, but SL has a different opinion. And some objects upload fine to SL, while Meshlab crashes with their complexity! However, if you get this error and Meshlab is able to open your model, the good news is that you can use the simplification algorithms to see if you get a barely acceptable mesh that SL will import.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.