The resident who provided the previous content, if any, has replaced it with this generic statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are few rules when choosing a display name, but the rules that exist are important. According to Linden Lab, you may not choose a Display Name that (1) violates a celebrity's right, a trademarked brand name or anyone's copyright or intellectual property rights; (2) deceives others regarding your affiliation or identity; or (3) is vulgar, offensive, hateful or harassing.

These are pretty standard rules and residents should expect them to be enforced by Linden Lab.

The quote you mentioned didn't say that  you couldn't use a celebrity's name, but that you couldn't "violate a celebrity's right in their name." The singer Michael Jackson didn't gain dominion of the combination of an extremely common male first name and an extremely common last name by becoming famous. However, if someone says, in a high squeaky voice, "I'm Michael Jackson. I'm a singer. I'm creepy. I have vitiligo. I'm dead. Give me your money because I'm THAT Michael Jackson," and the person wasn't really THAT Michael Jackson, THEN you have a rights issue.

Linden Lab Official:Intellectual Property

''' ...................a distinctive product appearance (known as "trade dress"), characters or material from a movie, book, or other copyrighted work, or a celebrity image or name (protected as a "right of publicity"). As Second Life gets larger, we receive more questions about intellectual property and Second Life.......................................... '''''

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Pettitboy wrote:

There are few rules when choosing a display name, but the rules that exist are important. According to Linden Lab, you may not choose a Display Name that (1) violates a celebrity's right, a trademarked brand name or anyone's copyright or intellectual property rights; (2) deceives others regarding your affiliation or identity; or (3) is vulgar, offensive, hateful or harassing.

These are pretty standard rules and residents should expect them to be enforced by Linden Lab.

That's a very clear set of rules.  Did they come from Linden Lab (if so please provide a link) or are you creating your own rules based on your understanding of how Linden Lab thinks?

I can not find the original FAQ, only it being quoted with the above statement.  When I click on links in my Google search to the original information I get redirected to the current Wiki FAQ which no longer contains that statement.

Here are a few places that reference that original statement.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Features/Display-Names-Bringing-Greater-Self-Expression-to-Second-Life/ba-p/660251/page/12

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Is-someone-able-to-copy-my-name/td-p/352388

http://me2oh.com/blog/staff/secondspy/2010/09/24/display-names-are-coming-second-life

So my guess is that they dropped the rule.

Of course, IF someone claimed to really be Elvis and tried to collect royalties in SL for Elvis' music or the use of his likeness, that could fall under the general behavior of fraud.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Pettitboy wrote:

That's a very clear set of rules.  Did they come from Linden Lab (if so please provide a link) or are you creating your own rules based on your understanding of how Linden Lab thinks?

I can not find the original FAQ, only it being quoted with the above statement.  When I click on links in my Google search to the original information I get redirected to the current Wiki FAQ which no longer contains that statement.

Of course, IF someone claimed to really be Elvis and tried to collect royalties in SL for Elvis' music or the use of his likeness, that could fall under the general behavior of fraud.

here is what  it used to say..

Are there any rules for choosing a Display Name?

You are free to express yourself in your name as long as it complies with the Second Life Terms of Service and Community Standards.  When selecting a name, do not choose one that:

To my mind, When selecting a name, do not choose one that violates a celebrity's right in their name, a trademarked brand name, or intellectual property right constitutes advice rather than a rule.

LL, as we know, don't try to act as judge and jury in matters of Intellectual Property; they respond to complaints from the holder, or purported holder, of the IP in question.   If the estate of the late Michael Jackson wishes, they can doubtless ask LL to stop people using Michael Jackson as a display name, and if anyone wants to dispute it -- perhaps one of the 10,000-and-odd other Michael Jacksons in the US (or the unquanitified number in the rest of the world) who may be residents of SL --  then the parties disputing the right to use the name can ask the appropriate courts to sort it out, as they would do with any other IP complaint.

But I don't see how LL can possibly be expected to keep track of every name that might be subject to "a celebrity's right in their name," as opposed to the names of particular celebrities who have been in touch with LL to enforce this right.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Pettitboy wrote:

here is what  it used to say..

Are there any rules for choosing a Display Name?

You are free to express yourself in your name as long as it complies with the
and
.  When selecting a name,
do not
choose one that:

It's quoted from here :

Display Names Are Coming to Second Life

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Pettitboy wrote:

''' ...................a distinctive product appearance (known as "trade dress"), characters or material from a movie, book, or other copyrighted work, or a celebrity image or
name
(protected as a "right of publicity"). As Second Life gets larger, we receive more questions about intellectual property and Second Life.......................................... '''''

The language you've quoted there is from a section addressing created content.  To apply that to a pretend/fake/temporary name seems a stretch but maybe you're onto something.  In my vague memories I seem to recall Linden produced FAQ or  the like that clearly stated things like "you should not use a celebrity name as your user name."  Today I'm not finding anything that's clear and direct.

Right.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i remember the thread well hehe..all the links in the thread point to one place now..they pulled some information from it..but i had it quoted in my final post in there..

Yes.  I find I'm often frustrated by the info that has vanished when I go off to check my recollections.

Yep, and it doesn't help that I often recollect things that never happened.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i remember the thread well hehe..all the links in the thread point to one place now..they pulled some information from it..but i had it quoted in my final post in there..

Yes.  I find I'm often frustrated by the info that has vanished when I go off to check my recollections.

you're not the only one..it really pisses me off at times..because right now they show no rules for it when they did have rules before..

this is so reckless and disrespectful to those that did happen to see this stuff that was just erased from history without a peep of it being changed..

how are we supposed to help be informative to new residents when  the information we have put years into learning just gets poofed all the freakin time?

i remember looking all this stuff up back then when someone asked me for a link..now that time was just wasted..

along with other topics of information that was searched for for hours..

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

To my mind, 
When selecting a name, do not choose one that violates a celebrity's right in their name, a trademarked brand name, or intellectual property right
constitutes advice rather than a rule.

LL, as we know, don't try to act as judge and jury in matters of Intellectual Property; they respond to complaints from the holder, or purported holder, of the IP in question.   If the estate of the late Michael Jackson wishes, they can doubtless ask LL to stop people using Michael Jackson as a display name, and if anyone wants to dispute it -- perhaps one of the 10,000-and-odd
in the US (or the unquanitified number in the rest of the world) who may be residents of SL --  then the parties disputing the right to use the name can ask the appropriate courts to sort it out, as they would do with any other IP complaint.

But I don't see how LL can possibly be expected to keep track of every name that might be subject to "a celebrity's right in their name," as opposed to the names of particular celebrities who have been in touch with LL to enforce this right.

Agree.  It's something for them to run away from if they can.  Although - if a corporation was rolling in excess cash they could employee a bunch of people to chase this issue around.

I think corporations only end up rolling in excess cash if they don't run around chasing every issue. They chase only those issues likely to yield a good return on the investment.

I like to imagine that Rodvik has a little meter in his shirt pocket that he can poke into various LL activities to measure ROI. I see him raising his eyebrows now and then when he gets unexpected readings. We, who have different meters, raise our eyebrows when Rodvik acts on the measurements he's made.

;-)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

you're not the only one..it really pisses me off at times..because right now they show no rules for it when they did have rules before..

this is so reckless and disrespectful to those that did happen to see this stuff that was just erased from history without a peep of it being changed..

how are we supposed to help be informative to new residents when  the information we have put years into learning just gets poofed all the freakin time?

i remember looking all this stuff up back then when someone asked me for a link..now that time was just wasted..

along with other topics of information that was searched for for hours..

Well... maybe the Lab did a research and found that having more rules resulted in X many more peoples bailing out of SL.  So then they would quietly remove some rules.  So that's more people staying.  And they do it quietly cuz probably they did a research that showed the when people hear that something is changing that makes Y many more peoples bail out of SL.  It's a dilemma I'm sure.

thats why they erased all the blogs as well?

they could have at least changed the links LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.