Cant connect

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't give up -- at least we know where the problem is now, which is more than we did before.

What I suggest is that you boot it in normal mode, and then use MSCONFIG to turn off all the services that normally start when you boot the computer (if you've not used MSCONFIG before, just click "Start" and  type MSCONFIG in the "Run" box) to check what services run at startup.   Then try disabling them, or groups of them, and keep on trying with tracert to see which one is causing the problem.

Thanks, I'm going to try this since I'm really puzzled what could be going on.  Do you think I should first uninstall the firewall and antivirus, since it may be interfering even if I've shut it off from the tray?  Uninstalling would be the only way to be sure that isn't the problem.

I'm hoping that Nalates is still watching this, because she knows more about it than do I, but I would be inclined to turn off services, one at a time, from the Administrative Tools in the control panel, and keep on pinging SL to see which one is stopping you from getting in.    Something is presumably blocking that port.

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood, I think.   From what you're saying, then, the port isn't blocked.   There's something that won't let SL connect. 

In that case, forget what I said about ports.  

What I would do is, in regular mode, simply disable likely-looking services, one at a time, and keep on running tracert, until you find out which one is blocking the viewer (or, if you prefer, turn them all off, and restart them one at a time till you find the culprit, but I think I'd turn them off one by one).

If you do that, I'm sure you'll identify the culprit and then be able either to uninstall it or reconfigure it.   

One thought.  You mentioned you've got Avast and Comodo running.  I know Avast doesn't cause any problems with SL under normal circumstances, and I'd be surprised if Comodo does, and you said you'd tried turning them off anyway.  

Is Windows Firewall running too, or did it start itself up when you turned off Comodo?   It might be worth checking that first, and making sure it's set to allow SL to do stuff.

I had a Eureka! moment and realized what it was.  Windows firewall wasnt running, it was another piece of software I use to analyze all incoming and outgoing connections------ Peerblock! There were two IP addresses I had to allow, 216.82.2.9 and 69.127.37.25  Now Tracert is finally working in regular mode.

Great!  So that looks like being the cause of the problem, and you should now be able to log in.

I think Peerblock is mentioned by someone in the thread about traceroute that I mentioned earlier on, in fact, as causing problems, in fact, so it looks like that's something to look out for if you're having issues connecting -- bit like Norton reporting false positives for SL.

I had to add a few more since the viewer wouldn't work.  69.127.37.25:8561 and :8875 and :8887 and 216.82.12.94:12043 and :13004  UDP and TCP

Now I have just one other issue lol. Whenever I open any of my viewers they completely fill up my screen.  That's not what I want.  I want them to always open up at the resolution of 1000x700 which is supposed to be default----- but it isn't! It's annoying to always have to resize the viewer every time I turn it on, so is there any way to "apply" the size change so it sticks for every time I open the viewer? For some reason all my viewers default to fullscreen instead of opening up at the "default" 1000x700 Any help with this would be appreciated :-) 

Glad you got it fixed eventually!

As to the window size, when you start the viewer but before you log in, make sure you can see the Debug menu button next to Me and Help at the top (if you can't, click ALT+CTRL+D).

Click on it, click on "Show Debug Settings" (first menu entry) and then start to enter fullscreen (it should autocomplete). Make sure it's set to FALSE, close the viewer and restart it.

debug 1.JPG

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood, I think.   From what you're saying, then, the port isn't blocked.   There's something that won't let SL connect. 

In that case, forget what I said about ports.  

What I would do is, in regular mode, simply disable likely-looking services, one at a time, and keep on running tracert, until you find out which one is blocking the viewer (or, if you prefer, turn them all off, and restart them one at a time till you find the culprit, but I think I'd turn them off one by one).

If you do that, I'm sure you'll identify the culprit and then be able either to uninstall it or reconfigure it.   

One thought.  You mentioned you've got Avast and Comodo running.  I know Avast doesn't cause any problems with SL under normal circumstances, and I'd be surprised if Comodo does, and you said you'd tried turning them off anyway.  

Is Windows Firewall running too, or did it start itself up when you turned off Comodo?   It might be worth checking that first, and making sure it's set to allow SL to do stuff.

I never had a problem with Avast and SL or any TPV's until I tried some of the Beta viewers from SL.  Those gave Avast heart attacks! 

And every time Vivox updates or I do clean installs, I have to tell Windows Firewall it's ok.

I do admire how everyone stuck to it to solve this problem.  Kudos all around!

Weird that the fullscreen false thing worked fine with CatzNip viewer but not with the SL default viewer.  It's set to false but still opens full screen lol.  I must've missed a setting somewhere else.

At any rate, CatzNip works fine at the new resolution and that's the viewer I like the best anyhow so I will be using it ;-) 

I can't really think what's going on there, particularly since I don't have problems with the window size in either Catznip (my preferred viewer, too) or the official one.

There's an option to Set Window Size on the Debug Menu when you start the viewer -- I don't know if you've tried playing with the settings there.   Otherwise, I'd suggest joining the Catznip Viewer group inworld, and asking there.  Kitty Barnett and Trinity Dejavu, who make the viewer, are both very helpful.    Or you could post a question in the Alternative SL Clients subforum over at SLU -- Trinity and Kitty are both active there.

Thanks! I think I figured out what may be going on and have a workaround but it's a weird one.  Bear with me here....

If I set viewer size to 1024x768 (window size option) everything is at that resolution for that session, then when I close the viewer and open it back up, and check window size, it's some odd number like 1007 by 749 or some such.  If I click (set) it keeps that setting for that session.  Then when I close the viewer and open it back up again and check window size yet again it's even smaller, something like 960x730 or some such.  Then I click (set) and then...... the key here is not to click "set" LOL every time you click "set" and then close the viewer and reopen it, it makes the window smaller, to the point of where after a few times, you cant even see the window very well.  I just x-ed out of it the first time it resized the window (to 1007 x 749) and Im fine with that size.

Did you say there was a debug option for window size? I assume it autotypes it after I type the first few letters, can you tell me what I have to type to get it to autofill? Thanks! 

Thanks, that's what I've been using and the one which doesn't save my settings in the main viewer (even with fullscreen disabled) and the one that was making my Catznip viewer window smaller every time I started the program if I clicked (set).  I wonder why it's doing that for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.