Can I change my username?

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I registered at SL about a year ago, created a cool avatar and now find myself spending a lot of time here. My biggest problem is probably my user name. I thought it was good at the time, but I'd like to use the same name I have for my avatar--or something close to it. Is it possible to change it? I know I can change my avatars name once a week, but what about the actual users name?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christin73 said:

You can always hide your username while in world. Just go to prefrences. I think it's under general.

That only hides it on your screen.  I can have mine set to show only usernames whiles yours is set to hide.  In world I would only see Christin73 above your avatar and you would only see Christina Kitty.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:00 PM, ChinRey said:

Do you think I would still have called myself Chin Rey if it had been possible to change it?

I found this thread by accident and I love it!

Do you think I would still have called myself MAMAbabe Magic if it had been possible to change it?

hahaha!

Was my kids idea to use MAMAbabe.

I was griefed and insulted several times when I was new until I learned how to deal with it.

Linden Labs, please give these people last names and 30 days to change them!

May

You're not alone, May.  Many of us, both oldsters with treasured "legacy" names and newcomers who didn't understand the naming system when they registered, have complained about this.

Along with others, I've repeatedly suggested that a system of hidden usernames be used.  Your (hidden) username and password would be used for LL to identify you for login purposes, but would never be seen by anyone else.  The current one-level security (password only) is grossly inadequate, especially for those who have many thousands of dollars associated with their accounts.

While there are times when it would be great to be able to change your in-game name, there are also solid reasons to NOT be able to change it.  The user name is about the ONLY thing about our avatars we can't change, and is therefore used by everyone else to know who you are.  If I were Queen of Second Life, I would make name changes possible, but difficult (maybe charge a $50 USD fee for it) and I would also implement a "Name History" for every avatar that would be a part of the Profile, or at least searchable.

There are signs that LL has finally decided to take another hack at the naming system.  One of the improvements scheduled for this year:

"The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year."

But I'm not holding my breath.  The "Display Names" scheme was a *****-up from Day One, and it seems likely any new scheme will have issues as well.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But I'm not holding my breath.  The "Display Names" scheme was a *****-up from Day One, and it seems likely any new scheme will have issues as well.

Your idea sounds great Lindal Kidd.

I would gladly pay $50 or more to get rid of MAMAbabe.

I have 2 alternate avatars for testing things, however as stated by someone else,

I have to many items in my inventory that I can not transfer.

Even if I could I would need to find every items creator and TOS so I do not break their rules.

May

They have given some details already on the upcoming ability to change your username. 

- There will be a fee, though we do not yet know how much, nor do we know if there will be limits on how often you can do it. 
- There will be a list of last names to choose from and you will pick a first name of your choosing as long as the first-name.last-name combo is unique. 
- The list of last names will change periodically, like they did in the olden days. 
- Any existing last names will not be come back into play. 
- Once a name has been used, it will forever be associated with that avatar and thus cannot be used by anyone else ever. 
- No word on whether or not someone will be able to revert to one of their previous usernames. 
- LL will maintain a history list and there will be at least some sort of searching mechanism -- definitely the ability to search an old name and get the current username for that avatar, but maybe not be able to pull up a current name and get a list of any/all old names. 
- They are also creating a scripting command to do the lookup of UUID from a name because the avatar's UUID will not change and that is what things like security systems need to change to using (rather than using names).

Finally, we do not know exactly when this will be available because they have to finish up some backend changes that this is dependent on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MAMAbabe Magic said:

Thank you for the information LittleMe Jewell!

Hopefully I can just change my first name, that would be great.

Probably not, based on what we have heard.  Name changes will be an entire first and last name change, always picking a last name from the current list - and that list will never include any of the legacy last names (or so they said).

1 hour ago, 69xenuno said:

this system here is just plain stupid .. incredibly stupid

I like Second Life way better than InWorldz. But that is just my personal opinion.

You are new 69xenuno, you can make another account, close that one, and use a name you like.

Give it a chance. I have been to some wonderful places here. Search for what you like.

May

3 hours ago, 69xenuno said:

Was I ever wrong ... this system here is just plain stupid .. incredibly stupid.

if you leave... can i has your stuff?

(stupid or not... you'r here for a while, and still seem returning)

• Like 1

I've been on here 3 years. The "newbie" under the name is forum related only. I have alot invested in this account and have no desire for another. This whole thread was about user - screen names right? Is that what I not commented on? Isn't it a convoluted mess? ... and no duh that SL isn't IW .. but they are related. Some condescending replies here by a few that forgot apparently what the thread topic was. So finally (per Jewell), it appears names will be addressed. Kudos to SL for being less "stupid" but we'll see ... this should of been fixed long ago ...

20 hours ago, 69xenuno said:

When I joined I came in from InWorldz ... which didn't consider "Bordello" to be a naughty word. It also didn't use my account name as a screen name nor make user name public. I figured same for here. Was I ever wrong ... this system here is just plain stupid .. incredibly stupid.

Well, I think there are some incredibly stupid things about InWorldz too.  I suppose a lot of it is what you're used to!  But you won't get any argument from me that the SL username system...both the current one and the original one...is far from SL's finest feature.  I too think that there should be a private account name that is known to no one but you and LL.  As far as identification in world, I think one's name should be relatively permanent, but should be able to be changed in certain situations, possibly for a fee.  And there must be SOME means of permanent ID, possibly by UUID, so we can all know who the heck we are talking to.

I really want to change my name, too!  I love that they might make it so we can... It is getting later in the year, though, and there's still no sign of it.

Do I really look like a "Lavern?"  I'm Rei-Rei, and already spent far too much on myself to be willing to give it up and start over.  This is the 'me' that I choose to be for SL. Just not... 'Lavern.'  I just got a little frustrated coming up with an account ID and this is what happened.  I'm an old tv show. blah.  A little bit embarrassing, too.

Save me, Linden Labs.  Help save us all!

Snapshot_002 1x1.jpg

7 hours ago, LavernShirley said:

I really want to change my name, too!  I love that they might make it so we can... It is getting later in the year, though, and there's still no sign of it.

Do I really look like a "Lavern?"  I'm Rei-Rei, and already spent far too much on myself to be willing to give it up and start over.  This is the 'me' that I choose to be for SL. Just not... 'Lavern.'  I just got a little frustrated coming up with an account ID and this is what happened.  I'm an old tv show. blah.  A little bit embarrassing, too.

Save me, Linden Labs.  Help save us all!

Snapshot_002 1x1.jpg

Do what most people do when they find that their chosen SL persona doesn't match their user name:  create an alt, a new account, with a better name.

Here is a blogpost I wrote earlier this year, that pulls together all the information currently available on the upcoming ability to change your user name in Second Life. When this ability will be rolled out is anyone's guess, probably not until early next year at this rate. I know there are at least 7 years' worth of "Resident" users who are anxiously awaiting this!

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

Looks like this needs to be updated for the current times.

Question: Can you change your username?

Answer: Yes, but only Premium accounts can. Basic account cannot change their name. 

See: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000155068-changing-your-username-faq/#Section_9

If your account is a Premium account you log into second life, then click on Home. From the home page click on account which is on the side menu. When the tree opens close "Change Name". One the change name page you will have a button.

Also, the process is not free. There is a fee for changing your name even if you have a Premium account.

I myself don’t like the fact that they didn’t warn me about the displayed Login in the game itself, and I, like everyone else, want to change the Login to a more normal one, but for this I’ll need to donate quite a bit of money to get a premium and then I can change my Login , but as for other ways to do this, I don’t know, plus, out of spite, with communications, what’s happening at the front, they forbade donating in any way...

Edited by Sergey959

When I joined I came in from InWorldz ... which didn't consider "Bordello" to be a naughty word. It also didn't use my account name as a screen name nor make user name public. I figured same for here. Was I ever wrong ... this system here is just plain stupid .. incredibly stupid.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.