Can I change my username?

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I registered at SL about a year ago, created a cool avatar and now find myself spending a lot of time here. My biggest problem is probably my user name. I thought it was good at the time, but I'd like to use the same name I have for my avatar--or something close to it. Is it possible to change it? I know I can change my avatars name once a week, but what about the actual users name?

• Like 1

• Moles

This thread was created in 2012, over 11 years ago.  Most of the information in it is now way out of date and should no longer be trusted.  It is now locked to prevent further posts.  For current information regarding user names, refer to the Knowledge Base:

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Thanks 3

Salaam86 wrote:

not even.

most of us "new people" just didn't even know what a JIRA was. thus the being new part.

I for one WANT last names back. I hate this username stuff. It's a terrible, aggrevating form of segregation and inequality and just looks stupid.

i think is about choice

if you want 2 names then you should be able to have this. if you want only 1 then you can have this. if you want 3 names then should be able to have as well. honorifics even. hyphenated names as well if you want

examples

Professor Kathy Ann Struthers, MBA

Marybeth Jackson-Smith

\o/yay

Bob

+

Argent Stonecutter and Ciaran Laval been championing master accounts since forever

like you get an account which have a name. can be anything. is a secret login name not known to anyone else. so can be more secure

then can create one or two or however many avatar/characters under that account name. each have its own unique Agent Name. any combination of chars that you want. all under the same master financials account name

each avatar/character has its own unique UUID same as now. so for scripting purpose then it works the same as now. public Agent Name and public UUID

then Displaynames can be changed to anytime you want. is not restricted to weekly change only

+

is so dumb that week restriction. even without the Argent/Ciaran way

was actual shoved thru by a bunch of noisey oldbie residents who scream about how they not able to know who they sold stuff to. lol. UUID much

anyways. they baw enough that linden cave in to them and made the week restriction at the last minute. and the whole concept end up being pretty much useless for the purpose it was orginal designed

the purpose being that you could create a inworld character with a particular name. and then change your outfit to another character in a different setting and can change the name over your head to suit. then change back to your other character and displayname change back as well

+

was also lots of olbies bawwing about how people was going to run round impersonate them with soundslike names. lol famous in SL or what !!! hows that going these days??? like not

+

so the whole point of  Displaynames got broken even before it started. is a pity really

• Like 1

I had no idea that my account name would be used in game. It seems very unprofessional to do so without warning, and to further the point I just typed out an alpha-numeric account name which I find not personal at all. Isn't this supposed to be a second life of our own choosing?

• Like 1

I do not like the fact that no one says "Oh everyone can see your user name and most will call you that instead of the Avatar's Name," when we registered. This is not how it was when I mildly got involved around 2011-2012, and yes I remember the last names.  My question is If I was to create a new account in order to avoid being called the user name, are we able to transfer our Mesh bodies to the new avatar and all of our purchases in inventory, or do we just lose everything?  

Sure, I can lose my apartment since the name is different and I can find my landmarks again, but can I rebuild my avatar under the avatar name and rebuild myself?  

Thanks so much, 

Suite Baby Jane 

16 minutes ago, gynodoll2017 said:

My question is If I was to create a new account in order to avoid being called the user name, are we able to transfer our Mesh bodies to the new avatar and all of our purchases in inventory, or do we just lose everything?

You will not be able to transfer anything that has "no transfer" permissions. That's likely to be a substantial part of your inventory. Search inventory for "no transfer" to see the items that you can't move.

friscolives is a pretty cool name i think. has quite a few runs in it

Fri Scolives

Fris Colives

Frisc Olives

Frisco Lives

Friscol. Ives

Friscoli Ves

+

i quite like Friscoli Ves. sounds exciting. like from north italy or somewhere like that

i like Frisc Olives as well. like if make displayname Frisky then can be a frisky olive (:

friscolives wrote:

My biggest problem is probably my user name.

I know I can change my avatars name once a week, but what about the actual users name?

Hey Rodvik, where are you? See this! ↑

Something needs to be done, in spite of that you decided not to do anything. :smileymad:

sFi_hammer.gif("Gentle" tap on your head :smileytongue:)

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

He didn't decide to do nothing, he decided to allow some special characters like "-". So basically in one year we will see names like "276286-wug27" again! :smileyfrustrated:

And people with those names are ones I make sure to avoid at dance venues.  A friend and I used to call them "The Number People."  ;)

it gets better with symbols

like you can be:

>.<

\m/

/w\

c(:

8{)

@ch00

1%

n**b

!!! o.m.g !!!

and my fav (which i would try to get)

\o/

jejejejjeje (:

+

ps

is funny how the divide between old names and new names people goes

more old names people seem to care about it. way more than new people seems like

can actual see this in the jira about it. of all the 1,000s of people asking for last names to be brought back, about 93% already have last names. Only about 7% of new name people cared enough to find out about the jira and vote

not even.

most of us "new people" just didn't even know what a JIRA was. thus the being new part.

I for one WANT last names back. I hate this username stuff. It's a terrible, aggrevating form of segregation and inequality and just looks stupid.

• Like 1

Yeah I would change mine in a heartbeat, I understand the reasons why they can't be changed, but it is kinda a shame that we get stuck with something we picked out before we knew much about SL, or even if we were going to stick around more than a couple of days. My first choice was Talitha but that wasn't available, so I picked Talligirl and then at the last second got cute with the spelling. More then once people have asked me if it is supposed to allude to T-gurl, but when I thought that up I had never even heard of the term T-gurl. At least we have the option to use a display name, which I do which includes not just my preferred name of Talitha, but a middle name and last name adopted since I began doing SL, and now a part of my husbands name as well, in a hyphenated last name.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Do you think I would still have called myself Chin Rey if it had been possible to change it?

39 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Yeah I would change mine in a heartbeat, I understand the reasons why they can't be changed, but it is kinda a shame that we get stuck with something we picked out before we knew much about SL, or even if we were going to stick around more than a couple of days.

You two remind of Eubie Blake (or George Burns, or Mickey Mantle, or who knows), who said...

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You two remind of Eubie Blake (or George Burns, or Mickey Mantle, or who knows), who said...

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

Puts away the bag of Oreos.

• Like 1

On 19 May 2012 at 7:00 AM, 161488303349 said:

is funny how the divide between old names and new names people goes

more old names people seem to care about it. way more than new people seems like

can actual see this in the jira about it. of all the 1,000s of people asking for last names to be brought back, about 93% already have last names. Only about 7% of new name people cared enough to find out about the jira and vote

This is why you see a lot of 'resident' accounts, who have profiles containing lines such as...

"Older than I look"

"Not my first time in SL"

"Probably older than you"

All these basically translate as a profile bumper sticker that reads

"My OTHER alt is a Lastnamer..."

In the same way people with ratty old pickup trucks have stickers claiming their other car is a Porche. 

Latnamers do this in the hopes that other lastnamers won't discriminate against them for being "resident named noobs", only to be surprised when they get discriminated against fort being "Alts with something to hide".

Edited by Klytyna
3 months and they still haven't fixed the damn post editor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

This is why you see a lot of 'resident' accounts, who have profiles containing lines such as...

"Older than I look"

"Not my first time in SL"

"Probably older than you"

I think a lot of that (at least early on) was more about the prejudice against Noobs in general.  Those types of lines were being put in profiles long before the last names went away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.