maya 3d dae mesh problems

Mattu Siamendes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have troubles when converting from Maya to DAE using FBX converter and/or the FBX pluggin

The model is not too complex, and it is rigged. when exporting to another formats, it works properly, but when exporting to DAE, the error message is:
"While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
 Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node polySurface172 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.
 Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node polySurface173 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.
..."
(47 times)

the resultant DAE file is unreadable:
"The following error(s) occurred while attempting to access the FBX file:
 File version not supported by this plug-in, or the file is corrupted."

any solution or any idea about the cause?

pd: i want say im using the version of fbx 2013 for maya2012 ( is the version of maya im using) and this problem happen to when i use the fbx convertor for change the extension fbx to dae, is the same problem.

I was going to tell you to just do a search for "Maya" with the search button near the top right of this page but when I tried it came up with nothing.  It must be broken.  The forums were just down a few minutes ago so maybe by the time you read this the search feature will be working again so give it a try.

If it is not just click on my name and look under all the posts I have made.  There have been quite a few about Maya.  As far as I know Maya 2012 comes with a plugin that should work right out of the box.  You shouldn't need to use the FBX to DAE converter program.

In your plugin manager look for fbxmaya.mll and make sure it is loaded.  You should be able to directly export out of Maya as an DAE_FBX.dae file so no need for the Autodesk FBX converter program.  Besides I don't think rigged mesh will work with the Autodesk FBX converter program.

There are a ton of other things that can go wrong when exporting DAE files out of Maya.  Just one thing not set right or named right and the whole thing won't work.

Here is a link to a wonderful video made by Sae Luan.  It shows how to rig a mesh in Maya and export it out as a DAE file.   http://saeluan.net/tutorials/maya/rigging-a-mesh-in-maya/

I hope that helps. :D

Cathy

Cathy Foil wrote:

Besides I don't think rigged mesh will work with the Autodesk FBX converter program.

Why wouldn't it? Both DAE and FBX can contain the data for rigs.

It's very possible the Maya 2012 DAE format is not compatible with SL. It's the case for 3ds max 2012, and both products are produced by Autodesk. For 3ds max 2012 you need the 2011 converter to make things work.

What I wonder is this: the object does export in other formats, but are those formats suited for rigging? Maybe that's the issue. If there is no rigging in the export, there is no error maybe.

This looks promising aswell, in that case it's a scaling issue:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-fbx/fbx-plug-ins-import-export-discussions/fbx-20093-problem-in-exporting-to-dae-autodesk-collada/

I am not sure why with rigged mesh the AutoDesk FBX converter program doesn't create a DAE file that will work in SL.  I am not saying that it can't just that I haven't been able to get it to work with rigged mesh and I don't know of anyone else who has.

The the AutoDesk FBX converter program does make good DAE files that can be used in SL as long as those mesh are not rigged.  Like a mesh chair or house or ship.

I have  exported a rigged mesh directly out of Maya as an FBX file and opened it up in Notepad and it does have all the necessary information and then I converted it with the AutoDesk FBX program and opened up the DAE file and it too also had the information if memory serves me correct.  It's been like 6 months since I tried.

What appears to be happening is the DAE file created by the AutoDesk FBX program is not quite in the right format that SL uses at least it doesn't for rigged mesh.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

What I wonder is this: the object does export in other formats, but are
those
formats suited for rigging? Maybe that's the issue. If there is no rigging in the export, there is no error maybe.

OK I think I know what you are asking.  Yes you can export out of Maya in other formats that the AutoDesk FBX program can read and then convert into DAE files but only the FBX file exported directly out of Maya contains rigging information.  So only the FBX file has a chance of being converted into a rigged DAE file.

Now mind you it been 6 months since I last tried this method.  I always create my DAE files directly in Maya and don't use the AutoDesk FBX convection program.  I am using Maya 8.0 so newer versions of Maya may work differently.

Yes that's exactly what I said, well at least it's the case for 3ds max, older versions, up to 2011, export a dae format SL understands. The 2012 version (and I bet the 2013 version..I need to try that since that's what I use right now) makes a dae file SL does not understand. That's why it needs to be converted in a 2011 converter.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Yes that's exactly what I said, well at least it's the case for 3ds max, older versions, up to 2011, export a dae format SL understands. The 2012 version (and I bet the 2013 version..I need to try that since that's what I use right now) makes a dae file SL does not understand. That's why it needs to be converted in a 2011 converter.

If the Maya 2012 and 2013 DAE_FBX plugin is no longer compatible with LL DAE file format you could try loading an older plugin from AutoDesk Plugin and Converter Archive.  I think all you have to do is rename the fbxmaya.mll file to something like fbxmaya2012.mll.

You have to rename it before you install the older plugin otherwise it will over write the fbxmaya.mll because older versions use the same name fbxmaya.mll.

So you will end up in your Plug-in Manager window two options fbxmaya.mll and fbxmaya2012.mll.  I would only have one selected to load at a time.  Other wise when you go to Export Selected you will not know which DAE_FBX goes with which plugin version.

Here is the link to the Autodesk archive: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920

I hope that helps. :)

Cathy

Mattu,

You are using the fbxmaya.mll plug in right?  I am not sure if it comes already activated in newer Mayas.  You should be able to load it from your Plug-in Manager.  In Maya click Window then move your cursor over Settings/Preferences and then click on Plug-in Manager.  There you can set fbxmaya.mll to loaded and auto load.

From there when you go to Export Selected be sure to pick DAE_FBX file format.  You shouldn't have to use the Autodesk FBX Converter program at all.

If it still doesn't work see my post above this one on the Autodesk Plug-in and Converter Archive.  Also be sure to watch the video I posted. 

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I talked to Sae Luan she is the one who made the video I linked to earlier.  She uses Maya 2012 and has no problem with the fbxmaya.mll plug-in that came with the program and exports selected using the DAE_FBX format.  When you export in this format it creates a DAE file so no need to convert it using the AutoDesk FBX converter program.

My advise is watch her video very carefully and do exactly what she does.

Hope that helps. :)

Cathy

In max there's a FBXMAX.DLU plugin for im- and exporting FBX files, I'll have to look at that, sounds a lot easier if one can replace that with an oldie rather than having to use the converter.

The latest version of the 2011 plugin is for 3ds 2011. Does anyone know if this is also compatible with later versions?

Hi, I have available fbxmaya.mll plug in, (the default one in Maya) and also the option to save and change it to fbx to fbx converter dae, I use both options to export the files, I am still investigation, which may be the problem, but I can not breakthroughs, because when my work in dae export (either with or fbxmaya.mll the fbx converter) I always I have this result.

The following error(s) occurred while attempting to access the FBX file:                 ( dae_fbx)

File version not supported by this plug-in, or the file is corrupted.

I also saw the videos that explain how to upload mesh in second life, there is one on youtube too, but im still having the same problem, all what i do in maya works perfectly, but when i export in dae i have allways that problem.

I am almost certain that the problem of nodes is when I choose a group of polygons and i combine them, as result maya creates a group, you can see in the outliner, and is called polysurface .. when this happens I get the error:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node pSphere1 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node transform1 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node pSphere2 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node transform2 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node pSphere3 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node transform3 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node pSphere4 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node transform4 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

The plug-in has detected mesh nodes with unsupported operators that affect the vertex and/or face count. To correct this, delete the Non-deformer history before exporting. The following nodes will not be processed:

polySurface1

error unsupported operation on mesh vertices...The plug-in has detected mesh nodes with unsupported operators that affect the vertex and/or face count. To correct this, delete the Non-deformer history before exporting. The following nodes will not be processed:

polySurface1

OK if it is just the groups that are created when you combine your meshes together it is an easy fix.  After you combine your mesh click on the word Edit at the top of your screen.  Then move your cursor down to "Delete by Type" then click on "History".  That will get rid of the groups.  
(NOTE: When you delete history you will have to weight the mesh to your skeleton again. But if it is the groups that are messing it up then you have no choice but to delete history.)

With your mesh selected, click "Export Selection".  In the export window open the "File of type" menu and select DAE_FBX (*.dae) type a name and click the "Export" button.  You now have your DAE file you can upload directly in SL.  No need for the AutoDesk FBX converter.  I know you probably already know this I just want to make sure.

If that doesn't work let's try something simple to make sure your plug-in is working correctly.

1. Click File > New Scene

2. Click Polygon Tab > Click on the icon of the Sphere

3. Click File > Export Selection

4. Chose  DAE_FBX (*.dae)

5. Name it and click Export

6. Upload your new DAE file into SL.

If the sphere doesn't upload then there is something wrong with your plugin and we can go on from there.

If it uploads then something you're doing wrong in Maya.  Believe me all it takes is doing one thing like having "Remove unused influences" turned on when you bind the mesh to your skeleton and the whole thing won't upload to SL.

I hope that helps. :)

Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

Exporting in 2012 and 2013 is working for me. But adding multiple textures is not working in both versions.

I tried exporting as DAE and as FBX and converted it to DAE with the Autodesk FBX converter. Both objects have somehow 2 textures in sl, but only one is shown and is 'overlapping' the other (yes, there is an uv map).

Using 2011 with openCollada is working fine. Both textures are shown correctly.

I googled a lot and so far it seems that there is no other DAE converter for those versions out there?

Damn, waste of money to upgrade to the newest version, lol. At least for using Maya for sl only.

• 1 year later...

I am getting the same issues on Maya 2013 when exporting a mesh with group.

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.

Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA. Node group1 will lose its geometric information. The node transforms will be saved.

• 6 months later...

The problem is about the grouping of meshes in your scene. I had it with MAya 2010. Instead of grouping meshes combine them for the upload. Go into the outliner and see if you got any grouped polygons in your scene. Remove them or the grouping and you should be fine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.