Sign in to follow this  
Myst Panther

What do you look for in an RP?

I know what I look for, but I'm curious to know what other people look for, particularly in SL.

Is it an amazing build? particular genre or settings? Is it story/plots? Is it population? Regular events? Are clans and factions important? Is it system, or lack there of? What makes an awesome SL RP to you?

What kind of things do you look for in a 'good' sl rp?

Having lots of people,Great well made locations,More interaction rather than combat,responsible and trustfull admins,good community.

Knowing that the owner(s) care about the players and know s/he/they put some time creating the RP.

All I need in an RP sim are players who are creative, flexible, fun to play with and active. A sim can be beautiful, true to its fandom or even well-structured in terms of rules and game mechanics but if it lacks decent players, I'll get bored quick. Others will also get bored, leave and have the sim end up empty.

But if I were searching for an RP, I'd look for:

• Well-landscaped sim that is also easy to navigate
  • Clear and detailed rules for both IC and OOC. Transparency is great.
  • I would prefer no combat meters but that isn't a deal breaker for me
  • Caste/roles/structure that isn't overly strict on my character choice
  • No pressure to stay active. I'm the type that drops in when I can.
  • No pressure to make commitments. I'll help if I want to. 
  • Opportunities to go OOC longer than 5 minutes for visitors.
  • Community is a plus and not a requirement,
  • Mature/Adult rating. I can be lewd.
  • An RP admin/staff that tries to drive good role play and activity. The effort doesn't have to be 24/7.

If the goal is to have an active RP and lots of traffic then creating an RP environment that hooks good players is something RP owners should strive for. 

I have been roleplaying for a very long time now and seen pretty much every roleplay setting and system, and throughout all that time, my ideas of what makes good roleplay good has not changed. The other roleplayers are what make good roleplay good; Meters (or lack of), the number of people around, the genre, groups and factions, only add to roleplay; but you can not have roleplay if there is not someone else with you to roleplay with. No matter where you are, if you find someone fun to roleplay with, they make everything awesome!

In the long run, what make good role-play is good role-players, people who care about the setting & their character, but who don't need to control every little detail & everyone else's behavior. Good storylines are important, but they have to allow for other players' ideas to shape events, just like in RL role-play. Too many rules & too much metered play restricts creativity, imo, though you have to have some rules to keep people from going too far & causing problems for other players.

A big, well designed sim is a plus, but you could also work from a small set base location & use other peoples sims for RP, as long as players are considerate of the sim owners & their rules. Many good-looking sims are empty most of the time anyway.