SLPlugin.exe is running more than one instance of it when using my viewer and my cpu runs at 95%

Rorrim Wrigglesworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SLPlugin.exe ends up with multiple instances running causing high CPU Usage

Hello all, I'm looking for some help, if at all possible.

I'm having problems with my viewers..

I've found that the Firestorm viewer has been somewhat laggy of late and so I use my SL viewer when working in my regions, as there is less lag when building etc.

The plugin problem seems to have reared its head over the weekend as I never noticed it before as things were running smoothly for me. I put the lag down to weekend use by people either in the region or locally to me, where I live in the UK. I use BT Broadband -Option3 and assumed my broadband was being throttled due to high usage in the area where I live but that's not the problem.

Over this weekend I have found that my SL viewer keeps freezing up on me or I get really bad lag. I was in Hathian (Crack Den) earlier today, looking at a few things, as an observer/visitor, and there were only a handful of people in the region I was in and I kept freezing up and then finally I crashed.

I opened up my task manager when this happened and it showed 3 SLPlugin.exe progs running and my cpu was running at 95%!

I've tried making adjustments on my NVidia control panel (as suggested on another website and it still runs 3 instances of the SLPlugin.exe when running the SL viewer and when I run the Firestorm viewer I don't even get one running but I get really bad lag.

This is my pc

Windows Vista Premium SP2

Intel 2 Quad Core CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

6Gig ram

32 bit OS

GeForce GTX 560 with DX 11 and all up to date with the drivers.

These are the viewers I am currently running

Second Life 3.3.1 (254524) Apr 24 2012 06:28:07 (Second Life Release)

showing 3 instances of the SLPlugin.exe running with this

Firestorm 3.3.0 (24882) Feb 20 2012 16:38:00 (Firestorm-Release)

No SLPlugin.exe at all when running this - but very laggy

This is the info from the help tab in the SL viewer

Second Life 3.3.1 (254524) Apr 24 2012 06:28:07 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 144,228.0, 258,112.0, 30.9 in RoBeck Land located at sim4458.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.5.248:12035)
Second Life Server 12.04.30.255166
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2400.09 MHz)
Memory: 3579 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9610
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/4,212 (0.0%)

And this is from the Help Tab with Firestorm

Firestorm 3.3.0 (24882) Feb 20 2012 16:38:00 (Firestorm-Release)
Release Notes

You are at 144,228.0, 258,112.0, 30.9 in RoBeck Land located at sim4458.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.5.248:12035)
Second Life Server 12.04.30.255166
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2400.09 MHz)
Memory: 3579 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9610
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0
RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Hybrid
Viewer Skin: vintage (classic)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance : 256
Bandwidth : 1500
LOD factor : 2

I don't get any problems when running any other programmes just SL.

We have Steam on my pc for some games we have and these all run ok too so any help from all of you smart clever people would be appreciated, as I have no idea what to do to solve this problem

Thanks in advance

Ro

4 answers to this question

It's not usually worrisome to have more than one instance of SLPlugin.exe running at once, but it has been a more severe problem for some users.  Take a look at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/EXP-700, for instance.  You'll see a lot of back and forth commentary by Linden techs, anding with a note that the problem is unresolved but deserves continued study.  You may want to consider opening a new JIRA with your own observations and referencing the previous one. 

There is nothing wrong with having three SLPlugins running while in Second Life, in fact it's quite normal at times and I believe up to five is possible.

SLPlugins are opened for media, search, login page, help and I think the side buttons (side panel used one slplugin so I assume the new buttons do too).

If you have SLPlugins running in taskbar after closing SL or crashing out of SL, you should close them manually and next login should be fine. But, as I said, while running SL, three is not unusual. Media is probably the biggest CPU resource hog.

I should also mention a separate issue, unrelated to SLPlugin.exe, that has also plagued some users.  It affects primarily -- but not exclusively -- those users who are using NVidia cards.  CPU usage shoots up to 100%, causing the viewer to freeze up temporarily and making it impossible to access some functions like Search.  Except that it is also a CPU issue, I doubt that this is what you are facing, but you might take a look anyway >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_100_cpu

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.