Creating Hair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, I'm new to Secondlife building here...

I'm wanting to build a hair style but I can't really get my texture to make it have the jagged look...

I don't want this -- http://i48.tinypic.com/292r1j6.png -- 

I want this ~ -- http://i50.tinypic.com/2n6udmr.png -- ~

(Something with style and actually flexiability)

Could someone tell me how to make actually a "jagged" look with using the "new hair" button on your inventory..

Could someone tell me how to make actually a "jagged" look with using the "new hair" button on your inventory..

When you say 'jagged', do you mean 'being able to see the hair strands' and having the ends look like strands too? (My description is terrible lol) :smileywink:

If so, what you are seeing on the effect you want, is a texture that has been created externally to SL and uploaded. This texture (which also has an alpha channel to show transparency on the ends) is then applied to the prims that make up the hair. 

Hope I've explained it in a manner that makes sense, if not, just let me know and I'll try explain it a bit better..... it's late and I'm typing with my eyes pretty much shut hehe :smileytongue:

The new hair option in inventory will only allow you to create system hair, more commonly referred to as helmet head hair.  It was the only hair you could have in the very early days of SL, but it didn't take people long to figure out a better way.  There is absolutely no market for this hair now and most people wouldn't be caught dead in it.  The only thing its used for now days is to make the avatar bald so you can put an attachment on .

The hair you see most people wearing is an avatar attachment made from prims.  Those prims are regular prims, sculpted prims, flexi prims or mesh prims or a combination of them.  Some hair also makes use of the tatto layer with the scalp coveredby a hair texture and then prim attachments for the hair thant hangs down and moves.

Here is a link to a tutor on how to make very basic prim hair in SL.  However with the introduction of flexi prims, sculpted prims and mesh (in that order) this only covers the very basics.  You will need to learn how to create the other kinds of prims too as well as how to make alpha textures.  Nowdays most  textures that are used on hair are photosourced.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.