Someone bought L$ with my card and LL won't look into it.

Eaglewing Foxtrot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought $2.50 USD of linden dollars and the site emptied my card instead. Every last cent was gone. The L$ were immediately sent instead to someone else. I know this because, in LL's own words, "I sold it to a legitamite third party". They refused to tell me what party and claimed that I could not have been compromised because "there were no signs". I looked into my logs and found a suspicious IP from China. I sent this to LL and the case was immediately closed with my post removed. The next day my inbox was flooded with death threats, all originating from the same IP I found in my log. I looked into it and discovered it was a proxy. Any ideas on how I can manage to get my money back?

tl;dr version: LL thinks I'm a thief and the real thief is threatening to kill me. What do?

6 answers to this question

If you are receiving real life death threats from a person in real life, then you have to go to the real life police!!!

If I was receiving death threats, I don't think I'd be stressing much over $2.50 USD's worth of linden dollars!!! (edited to amend - they emptied your card, so obviously you're stressing over more than that amount of USDs - go to the real life police)

Also, I'm rather concerned that the third party website may be using a key logger and will now have all the details of any other websites you visit - including any where you use your bank details, passwords, etc. 

@ everyone - NEVER buy Linden dollars from an unapproved third party website.

There have been many reported cases of phishing recently, so it's quite possible that you logged in to a site that you thought was Linden Lab's site, but was in fact a bogus one, designed to grab your account information.  See the information at http://www.phoenixviewer.com/index.php .  If that's the case, Linden Lab can't do a thing about it, and they are not at fault any more than you are.

As Marigold said - Police.

I have to say I don't understand most of your post (what "it" did you sell?) but theft, fraud and death-threats are generally frowned upon by the law-enforcement community.

If these people really are in China, and assuming you/your poice aren't, then it may well not be possible to do anything about them.  On the other hand it's pretty unlikely that they'll be able to do anything to you - as long as you completely clean your computer!

See this link, and take action IMMEDIATELY.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Email_Scam_%28Phishing%29_FAQ

File a support ticket at once.  Change your account password (if you still can).

Also, run a scan of your computer for viruses and malware.  Use more than one program, no program will catch everything.

Finally, call your credit card company.  Explain the situation and request that the charge be disputed.

Eaglewing Foxtrot,

OK- 1st, if you purchased Lindens from a website and it was not the LindeX [ https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php ] page accessed by your SecondLife login then you gave your credit card information to a 3rd party.

Since this is real-world theft, You need to:

1) Call your Credit Card company and report this theft to their fraud department.

2) If your Credit Card is backed up by VISA or MasterCard you have other options as well and must use their fraud reporting options as well. In may cases your limited in the exposure of a fraudulent activity against your credit card.

3) If you gave any real information to this 3rd party or parties, you also need to cancel your Credit Card / Debit Card ASAP thru the issuer, get a new one and change all account passwords.

4) You need to do all these steps 1st before calling the police as Mainstream Logo - Backed credit cards have provisions for managing these kind of thefts and local municipalities are usually not interested is small $ thefts via websites.

2nd,

Linden Lab is in no way responsible for your decision to buy Lindens for use in SecondLife from a 3rd party website. If you used a Kiosk located in SecondLife to find and make this purchase, then you need to do the above steps 1st and also send LL the information regarding the location of the Kiosk per their Abuse & Fraud instructions.

If you made this purchase on your own from a website found on the internet, then Linden Lab is not the party you need to be dealing with. Your credit card company is.

Since you found [internet or router] "logs" with suspicious activity originating from China, then SecondLife was not the medium by which you were defrauded.

I hope this helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.