Why do we have to guess?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, we had a huge amount of Scheduled Maintenance last week, and something seemed to have worked out well, but what was happening, and why things have improved, is just guesswork.

We never even got told that the sessions had been completed.

And this is something scheduled, not an all hands to the pumps evolution. A completion announcement could have been prepared.

How are we expected to react? Do we creep nervoucly back on the Grid, wondering if we can trust the system? Do we give up on reading the status messages, because we cannot rely on them?

I don't know what was behind this, but I can imagine several scenarios, They're probably all wrong, but they're plausible. And a total of 24 hours of maintenance suggests that the problem was repeated across a lot of computers, or computer-like devices. Was the Lab keeping on top of software/firmware upgrades, for instance?

Whatever happened, my experience suggests that something nasty was creeping up on the Grid, and this has fixed it. So why did nobody notice that change? Wasn't anybody keeping an eye on the quality of the user experience?

Can I trust you guys with my money?

Via Nalates' blog, reporting the Simulator User Group meeting of May 8th:

Andrew Linden tells us, “I think part of that is an operating system upgrade on some hosts, not network level maintenance, but I’m not sure. We’re definitely working on migrating to later versions of Debian, but there will be a few upgrades along the way before we arrive at Debian/Squeeze.”

Simon Linden also said, “I think that’s for some servers to get re-imaged with a more updated version of the OS. They get shutdown, start up on another server, then the now-empty servers can be re-imaged and brought back online. That’s repeated for every server that needs it … usually in batches.”

Hey, LL didn't even bother to announce their newest premium-member freebie here.  We all know they aren't interested in us so why do you keep expecting communication from them?  It's simple - LL do not care much about SL any more and they don't care about the existing residents at all.

Didn't we go through OS upgrades about a month or two ago, and did the screw up two weeks ago, destroy some of that work which seems to be what is being infered?  If so judging by the experience we had in the first upgrades of OS when will this be completed and when will the grid return to the relative stability it enjoyed before this latest engineering misadenture.

I really would be nice if someone in authority from Linden Labs actually stepped up took responsibility and stated clearly what is going on and what we should expect and for how long these problems are anticipated to continue.  Unfortunately, that seldom happens and instead we get mysterious statements from what may or may not be Linden insiders, that serve no real purpose other than confuse the issue with vague references, and accomplish little other than raise the level of distrust for Linden Labs which is already dangerously high now. 

It would be good if LL would remember that those of us who choose to hold paying memberships and own land are paying far more for that priviledge than members of virtually any online game, in my case it is a modest 600L a year but some I know are paying much more and it is our money and creative effort that keeps SL going creates this economy, and the society on which it is based.  For that you would think we would deserve decent service and a little respect from LL, but that seldom happens and the result is becoming a steady exodus of people from SL.  Maybe it is time for LL to rethink its attitude toward players before they vanish completely and SL with them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.