Sign in to follow this  
Myst Panther

Question to those more in the know about the current land situation

So, here's my situation.

I've been in SL since 2005, and I've got a pretty big chunk of mainland that I've been stewarding for some time. Over the years, I've managed to carve out a nice rectangular, nearly quarter sim chunk that includes a hill that looks out on the ocean, two protected road sides, a flat area and a lovely ocean side hill down to a protected shoreline out to a Linden ocean sim.

It's in an old, but fairly quiet sim all told not far from the Shelter.(although not in that same sim) Its a nice bit of land that I ran my mall on for years as well as my main shop.

Sadly, like so many others I'm rapidly careening to the end of my financial rope IRL and I really can't afford to hold onto it much longer. But I don't really want to abandon it, and while I've had chunks of it for sale before, it never sold, and I've been doing a lot of reading.

So I see that I have some options. I could 1) Try to sell the whole kaboodle at a stupid low price to a land flipper or bot. 2) Try to rent the land, or parcels at least to recoup tier, 3) Chop the land up and try to sell the parcels

I know in the current market, I'll never get what I spent on the land back, but that's not really what I want. I want to lessen my financial tier burden. If I could make regular tier in world, I wouldn't sell, but my sales for my store have been less than stellar and dwindling steadily over the last few years.

I'd like to know from people who are more in the know, which of the options is more feasable? Would I be more likely to rent the land out? How would one divvy up such a parcel to make the land more attractive to a buyer? Should I divvy it for renters? What shapes and features should be included? ( I mean, i've got it all, hillside with a view, flat, two roadsides and a waterside...)

I'm pretty sure the waterside is the most valuble chunk of land, and I'd much rather sell it to a person actually wanting to live there than a land flipper, but what about the rest of it? Advice? Comments? Offers? XD

Thanks in advance to any replies.

There's another similar thread here, where there's been some difference of opinion about whether to chop up the land before trying to sell it, or trying to sell it all at once.

I am of the opinion that selling something like this all in one piece is better.  It's certainly easier than first having to decide how to carve it up and then price (and re-price) all the little bits. Also, quarter-sim parcels with all the attributes you describe are not all that common on the old continent; you may actually get a bit of L$s for it, if you can afford to let it sit for sale for a while.

If you carve it up, you might get... oh, say, L$3/sq.m. for the immediate protected waterfront, and less than 0.5 (probably less than 0.25) for everything else. If you keep it together, you may well get that better price for all of it.  The reason it may take longer with the larger parcel is that it dramatically narrows the number of buyers, so one has to come along while you have it for sale (and be unable to find a better deal elsewhere--and that's the good part: it dramatically reduces the supply of comparable parcels, too).

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it took me years to aquire all the peices to put this chunk of land back into one peice. Like everything else on the mainland it had, at one time, been carved up for ad farms and the like, but I slowly got it all back together, and yeah, its not a common configuration, being able to have all the features in one swath of land.

I appreciate your advice! I'll have to chew on this a little more it looks like.

I'd try selling it as a full plot first, because nice larger plots are hard to find. When I was in the market for a sim, there were only two that fitted what I wanted, so odds were good I'd be buying one of them.

i stand at the same point, a quarter sim, with protected waterfront east to west.. and it faces south.. so the sun shines on it unobstructed.. its split into parcels.. not because i could, but because thats how i bought the whole quarter.  Lindens bid against me for the last bit, to make the quarter.. imagine that..  i paid over a hundred pounds sterling, for a micky mouse plot, just to get the whole quarter.. i stand wiser now.. its up for sale.. it must go.. never again will i travel that path.. digital land has no value except that of the owner..  think carefully about that premise, you value the land.. but it has no value, since it is not real. Acknowledge that you play fictional reality... and you may save your self.