Sign in to follow this  
Iamnothereorthere

How to roleplay?

I am kind of new here... I would surely like to try roleyplay. But I don't know how! I have visited roleplaying sim but I am totally confused... I don't seem to understand whats going around.... So how to do it????? Any tips, suggestions would help me a lot!

Thanks!!

Sorry for my bad english :/

Really as far as Roleplaying (or RP) goes, there's only one thing you need.

'/me'

Using this as a command in local chat (e.g. "/me says hello.") will construe it as an 'emote' or action (It will look like "Freya Mokusei says hello.", though with your display name there instead.) This is the basis of emoting, which makes up the largest and most direct contribution to the Roleplay 'environment'.

Most of the trick involved in RP is making each emote or action seem fluid and practical, as well as imaginative and well-thought-through.

A couple of further examples:-

'/me leans back against the cold brick, taking a smooth drag on her cigarette as she contemplates the world around her.'

'/me squeaks as Fred runs past her, wishing she'd had a second soda this morning as her feet pad at the running track.'

'/me's hair curls, whipped against her cheek by the strong sea breeze as she stands at the helm of the ship.'

Notice that you can use other peoples' names in emotes to interact with them, and use '/me's' to create 'Freya Mokusei's hair curls...'

---

In terms of things to write about, there are a few basic rules of thumb:-

Forcing actions is bad - The act of 'forcing' RP to happen your way, by refusing to give the other person options to adjust.

(e.g. '/me grabs Cindy's hair, bringing her to her knees. She pulls hard, dragging her along the floor until they both disappear into the darkness')

Godmodding is bad - Manipulating incoming RP to make yourself seem unrealistically fast, clever, or invincible.

(e.g. '/me twists, letting the bullets easily pass by her cheek as she gives a last-second dodge. All 25 bullets rattle into the walls of the crumbling building as her fingers twist around her assailants weapon.')

---

I'm sure there's plenty of other guidelines people use in forming good posts/emotes/actions. The trick, most of all, is to adjust your style to those you're roleplaying with. The idea should be that while not everyone will manage a 'good ending' to your story, all the players should be having fun.

Good luck. =]

Besides Freyas fantastic tips I would suggest to first find out which RP you want to join and then get some information about the roleplay sims who have this. Some just have a plain setting and others have a bigger part of backgroundstory for their RP or are based on already existing books and movies.

I don't know how much knowledge about RP you already have, but what I would also add to some basic guidelines is....

1. Not mixing incharacter with ooc (out of character). Keep in mind its all just a game not more. Don't get mad about evil characters or fall in love with one ;)

2. Don't use informations your character can't have.

3. Before you start think about who you want to be. Where does your charakter comes from? What does he or she likes? Whats with his/her family? and so on. That can help you to get a better imagination of how your character would react in a certain situation.

And some don't even let you explore or visit their SIM without an 'approved' character a part of the RP. :/ If you are into like movies there's some, and same for books and novels.. there's RP for various things.

Really? I only visited one rp sim and they had a special group tag for people which said they are visitors. With that group tag I could freely walk around just had to make sure to disturb no roleplayers there.

But I don't do roleplay in sl at the moment. I'm more the type for roleplay in some MMO where only one backgroundstory exist.

For me the "not forcing actions" part is the most important thing. Even if you are roleplaying a scene where force is involved, you can do it in a way that allows the other person the option to escape. It should never be one person writing the story for everyone else, that's no fun.

Role play is pretty easy...

I'm sure in IM sessions with yer buddies, you've indicated action toward them with the use of asterisks or whatever. Something like... *smites buddy upside the head*

Role play in SL is just like that except most people emote by starting off with  "/me" in Local Chat. For example, "/me smites person upside the head." In role play, you work with others to collaborate a story... Stories can range from deep to mundane every day life.

After figuring out what you want to role play, pop into a random sim and slap on an OOC tag and just watch.

A few suggestions:

• Don't go smiting people randomly like in my examples. If you must strike someone, give them a chance to dodge or be hit by it.
  • Before joining in on a group of people playing, watch and wait to check for any post order before posting unless one of the players emotes noticing you or grabbing your attention. You don't want to risk messing up an intricate scene or throwing people off. 
  • If you're willing to play with people whose posts are paragraphs long, (usually call themselves "para posters) exercise patience and wait for them to post their reply.
  • Post your role play limits in your Picks. Read others' limits in their Picks and respect them.
  • Read the RP sim's rules.

Have fun!