How do I get a last name?

SukiMoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

You don't.  Linden Lab did away with last names about a year ago, so it's only us old-timers who have them.  All is not lost, though, they offered us Display Names as a replacement.  A Display Name isn't permanent or unique like your login (User) name, but you can customize it.  It's like a nickname in RL..... a handy name that your friends can use instead of the name that you had to make up in a hurry when you registered for SL.  The only big disadvantages are:

• A Display Name is not unique, so there might be dozens of people calling themselves SukiTheGreat this week.
  • Many residents do not choose to see Display Names in their viewer, so they will still call you SukiMoon.  That's especially true in clubs, where owners and DJs like to know exactly who won a prize or left a tip.

Anyway.... it's not a nice as having a permanent last name, but that's life.  And it's not bad.  Read more about Display Names here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Usernames-and-display-names/ta-p/700173

• Like 2

Hi, I just read this post. I'm 3 years and 10 months in SL now. But compared to the 2 of you, I am nothing close to old-timers. But I think even if I last in SL for 5 more years I will still feel like a newbie everytime I see the last name "Resident" in my profile. I wish I have starter a few months earlier back then, I might have been able to choose a permanent last name then. Lucky you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.