Mesh deformer needs testing samples

Eve Greymoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!  I'm not a designer so i can't help with this. 

Mesh Deformer Testing

I really really want to buy mesh clothing, and really really want the deformer so I can do it without changing my shape. Unfortunately, I'm not a designer, know nothing about creating mesh so I can't contribute test clothing. But I can buy your stuff if this gets implemented...and I probably will! 

Please everyone who is, check out the link and help if you can.  This may not be important to some people, but it's very important to others.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Like 1

Just to back this up a bit, here is what one of the linden's said in the JIRA related to this featuer:

Oz Linden commented on STORM-1716:
----------------------------------

Perhaps this issue really isn't all that important, or worth the trouble to integrate.

So far, only one designer has responded with one test garment.

Let me be clear - the lack of test material is a major blocker for testing, and therefor accepting, this proposed feature.  If you want it, step up and do it soon.

Many of us do want this feature developed. Oz is "pressuring" the issue to get examples in for testing, or at least some are speculating that was the reason for his statements. Others think he was back peddling in the follow up statements. Whichever the case, it created controversy and is getting the request in front of people.

Communicating to the SL community is a difficult thing to do. The Lab's employees are generally not hired for communication skills. Nor has management been good at communication or perceived its importance. Within their knowledge they do and evaluate as best they can. But, the result is the lack of a good communication channel to the mass of SL users. So, Oz has no tool for reaching the fashion designers that could help.

If you want to help get the word out and show support for the Deformer project follow the steps in: #SL Mesh Defomer at Risk. I took the public... somewhat hidden in the JIRA... statements at face value. Inara grabbed Oz and asked WTF? She has taken a different tack in her view and coverage based on later private statements. At this point we'll see how the community responds.

There is no doubt the Lab wants the Deformer feature. Whether the Lab has a time issue with it is another matter. Users would prefer sooner rather than later. But, the Lab's preference is unclear. It may make no difference to the Lab's plans whether this is adopted this year or 2 or 3 years from now. But, the issue is affecting designers now. Leting them know there is a problem holding things up, which they can do something about, is the current need.

People can bash the Lab for not having good communication channels with users or get busy and to something to move the project forward.

Yesterday I started contacting the designers I buy from and sending them to the article I wrote to explain the need and what steps can be taken to get word out.

Mesh clothing is starting to become the "must have" thing in the SL fashion community.  The current system of having to provide a number of fixed sizes makes proper fitting very difficult.  I understand that the lab had not anticipated how much mesh would be used for clothing.  If they really want mesh to be more widely used, the deformer is essential.

Well, although I've made and uploaded rigged mesh like hundreds of times now, I can't get it to work with anything created from the default avatar in 3ds Max 8. The rigged avatars that I have uploaded were using a skeleton that I found that worked, but it was never rigged to the default avatar, nor does it come with default weights. All the skeletons and defualt avatars that I load in the Max have issues when uploading.

So, basically, I tried to makes some clothing for LL to test when Oz put out the call, but I can't get any of them into SL. Before I found these current default SL files, I had always planned on learning more in Blender, as it seems to have less issues with the DAE files, and I don't want to fork out the money for a way overpriced 3ds Max. I just haven't had the chance to dig into Blender more, cause I'm also doing things in other 3D programs too. Gosh, actually, I"m like constantly in testing mode. It would be nice to get out of all this testing and actually make things, lol.

I have it, and I will try it. Yesterday, I tried to upload a gun. Nothing special with it. It just won't upload. No rigging involved at all. Then, of course, I tried to upload some meshes that I've already uploaded. Nope, so something is messed up somewhere.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.